JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been giving my nephew a hand wiring his new house lately, and yesterday we looked outside to see a nice 6x6 Blacktail buck standing maybe 25 ft. outside one window! We watched him feeding on apples in his orchard for a few minutes until the buck strolled off. My nephew mentioned the late season either sex hunt starts next Saturday, and his small farm is in an area where only shotguns or muzzleloaders can be used. But ML rifles can be modern, and scoped, so a better chance of getting a deer.
He mentioned at lunch time that he had a new CVA Wolf inline muzzleloader that uses 209 primers, and is scoped, but he'd never fired it! I asked why, and he said he bought bullets, primers, and pyrodex pellets, but never knew how to load, shoot and clean it. So time for a break from work! We had a short demonstration of how to load and fire it, and I told him we'd get into cleaning and other things after we sighted it in.
We setup a 100 yd. target, and after pulling the breech plug I bore sighted the scope. Then we parked his quad at 50 yds. and loaded two 50 gr. pellets, and a 250 gr. sabot bullet. Primed the plug, and let one go on target. His shot was 6" high and 2" left. Adjusted it and fired a 2nd, which was right on target. We moved the quad back to 100 yds. and setup again. This time he gave me a try and I put 3 shots in a 1.5" group at 100 yds. About 1.5" low, so we raised it accordingly, and he shot three more in a nice group.
We took it back to the shop and did a thorough cleaning, and reassembly. I was quite surprised that this inexpensive little inline ML shot with such accuracy. Especially using pyrodex pellets! I'm not well versed in ML rifles as almost all my shooting is with 1800's cartridge single shot rifles. But seeing this ML shoot so well I think if his big buck returns it's in the freezer for sure if he does his part!!

Sounds like great fun. Tell him no excuse to have a nice new gun and not have tried it out but you will let it slide this time . :D
In his case I cut him some slack. The poor guy has been swamped for years keeping up their small farm, and building two houses mostly by himself for so long I can't recall. Only time he's taken off from the place was for deer and elk hunting.
I'm anxious for his season to start, and hope the buck shows up one day while I'm there helping so I can see him harvest one!

Cva inline muzzleloaders have always shot great for me and usually have good triggers out of the box. I hope your nephew got that blackie!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top