JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am debating getting a CC permit, but I have some questions and would like some input.

First off, I do not plan to carry daily. I climb trees for a living, and it's not reasonable to lug a handgun around while you're trimming. Second, it's a fireable offense, and a total violation of company policy. I don't want to carry on my commute and then leave a handgun in my vehicle all the time, because I park every day at remote areas where a break in is likely. I don't leave anything of value in my car and I leave it unlocked.

Generally speaking, I feel no real need or desire to carry a firearm in public. I am comfortable going to the zoo, a movie, Fred Meyers, etc unarmed.

Another factor against daily carry is that none of my pistols are of a CC design, and I don't intend to purchase a handgun specifically to carry.

Now, that being said, there are some times I would like to carry a firearm.

I sometimes want to keep a firearm in the car or cab of the truck when I drive in remote or sketchy areas. Twice in the coast range I had tense encounters. Ultimately, the situations resolved themselves peacefully, but I sure wished I had a gun both times. Both times I debated on just taking the pistol with me, but I knew it was illegal, so I left it home.
Once while on a family road trip, we were essentially "attacked" by another vehicle, totally out of the blue. No cell service, I felt helpless. Fortunately, that situation resolved itself, but once again, I wished I had a pistol handy, just in case.
Another instance.. While rock climbing with my ex-wife near Troutdale, we were tailed and followed by a group of 4 creeps. We can both remember the bad vibe clearly to this day, running to our car from the crag, glad the ranger hadn't locked the gate yet. I would've felt better having a gun in my backpack, but I would not have wanted to open-carry for a lot of reasons.

Since I am a legal, law-abiding, sane, tax-payer citizen and a good neighbor, there is nothing stopping me from getting the permit. I am tempted to get one just because I can. I really see no down-side.

Any opinions? Suggestions?

I would get it. Like you said there were times when you wished you did... Eventually there will be another time u wished. Obviously you don't need to carry all the time. But IMHO and I'm sure many others here, it's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

For myself it's more of a reason to come to a peaceful resolution. I hope I never have to draw on anyone but knowing I have it in an emergency gives me peace of mind.

That said I cc a glock 26 and love it.

Just get one. You don't always have to carry, but its nice to have the license to, especially during long travel trips. There's nothing worse than feeling like you're in a dangerous situation, and you're in a remote area, or far eough away from home that you're not familiar with where anything is.

Just get the license, gain some piece of mind, and carry when you want. Just know that the more you carry, the more you will want to carry!

I dont see any downside for you getting it. I would question why you dont carry one in your rig now as it is legal as long as it is not concealed or loaded. I would occasionally carry one in my rig on the passenger floorboard or seat unloaded but have a mag or rounds for revolver accessable, prior to getting mine. Another option is to keep one in the glovebox if it is lockable just to be safe as in getting stopped but have that key on you and not on the same ring as the ignition one. The safest bet would be to just get the permit though, while you still can, and would be grandfathered in if the laws change in the future on issuing them.

I am debating getting a CC permit, but I have some questions and would like some input.

First off, I do not plan to carry daily. I climb trees for a living, and it's not reasonable to lug a handgun around while you're trimming. Second, it's a fireable offense, and a total violation of company policy. I don't want to carry on my commute and then leave a handgun in my vehicle all the time, because I park every day at remote areas where a break in is likely. I don't leave anything of value in my car and I leave it unlocked.
- I hear ya. I didn't carry initially either. I wanted my CHL so I didn't ever have to worry, if/when I carried(obviously within the law), I could relatively do as I pleased(within the State of Oregon of course, please note CHL's are not like DL's, your license may or may not be recognized by other states, WA for example doesn't recognize Oregon's CHL). That being said, I would think a handgun safe like the "Gun Vault" or similar in your car might be a good idea.

Generally speaking, I feel no real need or desire to carry a firearm in public. I am comfortable going to the zoo, a movie, Fred Meyers, etc unarmed.
There will be others here who say, "you cannot choose when you are going to have to use a firearm for self defense.", which though I agree with(for the record I carry everyday, but you can severly limit your risks by "not going to stupid places, with stupid people and not do stupid things".

Another factor against daily carry is that none of my pistols are of a CC design, and I don't intend to purchase a handgun specifically to carry.
- I suffered this situation too, but the more I carried, I decided to get a gun that conceals easier. The best thing you can do for concealed carry is get a REALLY GOOD belt and a GOOD holster, Portland has Lightning Arms and Ted Blocker where you can actually go in and get/try on some really good quality stuff BEFORE YOU BUY, you will also get some incredibly valuable insight as they will ask you questions you have not even thought of asking, it will save you TONS, so you don't have to "BUY TO TRY". Even if you don't want to conceal all the time like I do, a good belt and a good holster are invaluable. I don't wear any other belts anymore.

I sometimes want to keep a firearm in the car or cab of the truck when I drive in remote or sketchy areas. Twice in the coast range I had tense encounters. Ultimately, the situations resolved themselves peacefully, but I sure wished I had a gun both times. Both times I debated on just taking the pistol with me, but I knew it was illegal, so I left it home.
Once while on a family road trip, we were essentially "attacked" by another vehicle, totally out of the blue. No cell service, I felt helpless. Fortunately, that situation resolved itself, but once again, I wished I had a pistol handy, just in case.
Another instance.. While rock climbing with my ex-wife near Troutdale, we were tailed and followed by a group of 4 creeps. We can both remember the bad vibe clearly to this day, running to our car from the crag, glad the ranger hadn't locked the gate yet. I would've felt better having a gun in my backpack, but I would not have wanted to open-carry for a lot of reasons.

Since I am a legal, law-abiding, sane, tax-payer citizen and a good neighbor, there is nothing stopping me from getting the permit. I am tempted to get one just because I can. I really see no down-side.

- There is no downside in my opinion, but more than anything get training, it is addictive. Check out our sponsor Oregon Firearms Academy, they are AMAZING, see the link below for my review.

<broken link removed>

I drive an older trade van with my construction tools in it. The bucket seats are pretty much wore out, so I didn't have a problem cutting the right side of the seat open and carving out a hole in the foam. Then I duck taped a repair flap over the spot to make it look like a real bubba gum repair. I figure any thieves entering will be too busy hauling any loose tools than looking for my gun. This might not be an option for a nice rig, but I find that it's exactly positioned to where I can reach with my seat belt on.

Better to have one then not.. heres a good example to have one... if your the victim

The Blotter | Seattle police: 13-year-old helps bust dad for gunplay, road rage | Seattle Times Newspaper

when i first got my CHL I got it or the times I go shooting and have my weapon on me... Now I dont leave my house with out a gun...

The world is changing and I cant say its for the better everyday i watch the news... some poor person gets shot or something... that wont be me or my family, if i can help it.. a few years back in the little Town of Brownsville OR (which is where i grew up) i was leaving the local gas station/food mart as a car pulled up, i heard someone yelling as i drove off and i figured it was some local druggie being dumb ... Turns out no more the a min after i had left he pulled a gun and took a hostage, heres the story.. Man dead after shootout at Brownsville gas station with hostage | OregonLive.com

I never thought that something like that would happen in that little town.. So spending 4-500 on a gun you can carry but may never use for self defense is worth it to me..

I dont carry AT work although i could if i wanted, but my gun is in my car and my bosses know it..

Get it.
I do not carry all the time - it is against work rules to bring one to work.,
But I do at times like having a loaded gun in certain situations and when I travel.

I agree with everyone else.
However, I strongly suggest training. It sounds like you are under control but several comments you made has me thinking.
You really need to be aware of the laws and the legal issues should you encounter a situation/s you have provided.
Like others have stated " the best gun fight is one I was never in" or "R u n" or "only if your life is threaten" , and etc.

Oh be sure as as this old man can't run or defend himself, so I decided I needed a CHL. I too do not carry every day but training has taught me SA and levels of awareness which I did not know or realized before. These decisions are life changing.

If you're inclined to get it then do so. I'm sort of in the same boat as you and don't have it because I stay in safe neighborhoods and cannot bring it to work.
If I'm out in the wilderness and feel the need to take a firearm, I open carry. I just strap on a tactical holster and put my FNP .45 in it. I don't know if that is an option in OR, as I am in WA, where open carry is legal.
Another reason why I don't have a CCW is that I would have to go downtown Seattle during regular office hours. I just hate going downtown Seattle with a passion (and I live within the city limits).

It sounds like you are under control but several comments you made has me thinking.
You really need to be aware of the laws and the legal issues should you encounter a situation/s you have provided.

what comments did I make that have you thinking?

I am of course interested in a comprehensive course that discusses laws and regs in detail.

There is no reason any law abiding citizen should not have a CCW, plain and simple, if you don't feel the need to carry all the time then don't, But if you even think you might bring with you once in a while get the permit, then your legal grounds are covered and you cannot get in trouble for keeping that loaded gun in your pack while hiking.

Well usually people are smart enough not to mess with you monkey types,especially when you have a chain saw and an axe. Just sayin'

But this sounds just like me.Basically the only time I carry is when I an going to Tacoma or into the woods.My dogs are with the truck and gun or the dogs and gun is with me.I don't leave the gun in the truck unguarded.
When I am in the woods,the gun is in between the seat right next to me,by my knee.The holster is on the belt for when I get out.
This is what I have used my permit for mostly.Very seldom do I carry out in public,never see the need. Yeah I know the need can happen instantaneously? but it has only happened 2-3 times in the last 53 years. (25 years of having a permit)

Good luck

Speelyei,

I say get it.

What kind of pistol do you have that's not concealable? I've concealed full size XD's, XDm's, Glocks, and 1911's, all with little to no printing... with a good holster, anything is out of sight.

Here is a Great book to have. (Link here- Oregon Firearms Federation ) Has All of Oregon's Laws in it. Classes will help as well, but you can always go back and reference something in the book.

I can not carry to my work either, nor have on their property. but anywhere else I can carry, I do. There are knuckle heads out there everywhere, and you can't always avoid them.

The way you need to look at this is an insurance policy. Do you have auto insurance? Home owners or renters insurance? Exactly. Having a CHL is just another insurance policy. But you must know the laws...

Just my .02 cents worth.

Stay Safe.

For the times you are describing a CCL is not necessary; however, it would simplify your life knowing you are well within the bounds of the law to have it.

I sometimes want to keep a firearm in the car or cab of the truck when I drive in remote or sketchy areas.

Open carry is legal in OR. You do not need a permit to keep a loaded gun in your car *in plain view*. The only place you cannot open carry (including in your car) is inside some city limits (Portland, Beaverton, Salem etc). In those city limits you cannot even have a loaded magazine. In this case I would suggest a revolver with a speed loader. Keep the revolver in plain view and the speed loader handy. You are not violating any law. A CCL is an affirmative defense against these city ordinances.

I would've felt better having a gun in my backpack, but I would not have wanted to open-carry for a lot of reasons.

This one is a little trickier because it's concealed. 166.470 B might fit here but I think a belt holster, open carry would keep you out of hot water.

166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:

(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;

(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle; or

(2) This section does not prohibit:

(B) Temporarily for hunting, target practice or any other lawful purpose;

(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

(5) Unlawful possession of a firearm is a Class A misdemeanor. [Amended by 1979 c.779 §4; 1985 c.543 §3; 1989 c.839 §13; 1993 c.732 §1; 1993 c.735 §12; 1999 c.1040 §1; 2001 c.666 §§33,45; 2003 c.614 §8; 2009 c.499 §1; 2009 c.595 §112]

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top