JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I personally think that when you have a CHL/CCW you should carry as much as you can because you never know when you will need it. As far as not being able to carry at work.... that is a choice you have to make. Would you rather be dead or loose a job because you had to defend yourself? there are a lot of employers/companies that don't allow you to carry, that is a shame. Also with a conceal carry licence you can also open carry, I don't know if that is something you might be interested in but if you are, be prepared to deal with some ignorant and dumb sheeple. The cops will mess with you and try to intimidate you as well.
I had a Beaverton cop threaten me once with revoking my license and he went behind my bad and contacted the sheriff's office.... the county had the balls to call me and tell me that I was not in trouble but that they wanted to talk to me. I knew that I had the right to carry openly and with the help of OFF I let the sheriff commander and the lady at the CHL office know that I was not interested in going in to talk to them. Now days I don't talk to the police anymore than I have to so when they said I was not in trouble but they wanted to talk to me, I saw a red flag. I didn't do anything wrong? well you shouldn't be calling me and setting me a trap.

Also walk a straight line, if you get a DUI or get yourself in some stupid situation you will get revoked so be very careful. Also when you carry you are more confident and level headed because you know you have the power to take a life if it comes to it.... also get yourself mentally prepared to pull the trigger on another human. Try to always be a few steps ahead.

Good luck buddy.

I have read some screwed up post on here but what the **** are you saying?
No wonder the Beaverton police was after you.

Also walk a straight line, if you get a DUI or get yourself in some stupid situation you will get revoked so be very careful. Also when you carry you are more confident and level headed because you know you have the power to take a life if it comes to it.... also get yourself mentally prepared to pull the trigger on another human. Try to always be a few steps ahead.

Are you serious here? And you put this in a post for the world to see

Also when you carry you are more confident and level headed because you know you have the power to take a life if it comes to it

Something wrong here

mjbskwim..... do you live in lala land buddy? I am not saying you get to walk around and execute people. It's a big responsibility to carry a weapon for self defense. If your life or your loved one's life is in danger and you have to use deadly force.... you think a gun is used to bake cookies with?

I am not saying just because you have a gun you get to use it but if it comes down to it and you have no other choice and your last option is to fire..... you are probably gonna end up taking a life.

I am not a violent person and I hope to never use my firearm to take a life but if it comes down to it and my life is in danger..... your darn right I am gonna take a life to defend my own. Also Beaverton Police was not after me because they thought I was a nut job.... they were after me because they are just as ignorant as you are and they just wanted to intimidate me. They like to go on a power trip and try to act like they are the law around here, when in reality their job is to enforce that laws. Just because there are people out there like you who don't have the balls to open carry, it doesn't mean that I should bend over and be intimidated by them and have my privileges taken away because sheeple get scared that I legally open carry.

Now please grow up a little and move on.

OK I understand not carrying all the time. Especially if it will get you fired. With that said everywhere I go are places I fill safe and I also carry everywhere I go. It has never been because I think I need it but because I never know if I will. I don't know what you would carry or what you think is good for carry but I can say you might be surprised what you can carry. I am 5'5" and 210lbs I normally carry a full size xd 40 but I have carried full sized 1911s with no issue. I have been in just about every situation that I can think of from crawling around working on a car with someone to taking some fine young lady for a ride on my motorcycle(and that is close to one another) and have not been found out Yet. It is better to be prepared then wishing you had what was at home. But to stop my rant if you can get one do it. It never hurts to have you and never need it.

mjbskwim..... do you live in lala land buddy? I am not saying you get to walk around and execute people. It's a big responsibility to carry a weapon for self defense. If your life or your loved one's life is in danger and you have to use deadly force.... you think a gun is used to bake cookies with?

I am not saying just because you have a gun you get to use it but if it comes down to it and you have no other choice and your last option is to fire..... you are probably gonna end up taking a life.

I am not a violent person and I hope to never use my firearm to take a life but if it comes down to it and my life is in danger..... your darn right I am gonna take a life to defend my own. Also Beaverton Police was not after me because they thought I was a nut job.... they were after me because they are just as ignorant as you are and they just wanted to intimidate me. They like to go on a power trip and try to act like they are the law around here, when in reality their job is to enforce that laws. Just because there are people out there like you who don't have the balls to open carry, it doesn't mean that I should bend over and be intimidated by them and have my privileges taken away because sheeple get scared that I legally open carry.

Now please grow up a little and move on.

Well reading some of your posts,I would believe you are ready , AT ANY MINUTE,to snuff someone.
Hey maybe it's just me that sees you that way. That is really scary to think about.

I am surprised that one negative has not come up. When times comes for the gov to go gun collecting (like Katrina) nothing makes that easier than a list of CCW holders. Whether it is your home or driving down the road. CCW is a 'liberty' that can be withdrawn at any time. Suspension of Constitution liberties (not rights; rights cannot be taken away in a heartbeat) is only a pen stroke away. You have a 2nd Amendment to protect against government run amok, not to defend yourself in an alley confrontation, although that fact was blurred long ago.

I don't carry simply because I see it as more of a potential liability then a benefit. If I lived in Detroit or somewhere inherently dangerous, that would probably be different. Than the threat to my living as a free man would be coming from criminal elements more than oppressive gov. As it is now I see the possibility that I'll need a gun to defend myself outside of my home as almost non-existent statistically. About the same odds as being hit by lightning.

Never want to see the inside of a jail cell, never want to be arrested. The easiest way to end up in that situation is to pull out a (legal) gun in public to defend myself; or god forbid fire it. In 99.9% of situations my wits or fists will get me out of bad situations and I would have to worry about going for a ride in most defense scenarios.

People not wanting to go to Fred Meyers or to get gas without a gun to me is just paranoid and nutty. This is coming from a guy that loves guns, thinks the 2nd should be defended 100%. Just the whole CCW thing is entirely an unnecessary risk for me personally.

All for OTHERS doing it though. I should say that I think any law abiding person should be able to carry if they want to, w/o any government special permission like CCW. Of course I would never do that because as I said I'd frown on jail time. By playing the CCW/CWP game you are saying 'here I am', come take it.

By playing the CCW/CWP game you are saying 'here I am', come take it.
I am not not arguing with you on any point. I carry all ways and would never say I am not a little paranoid(keeps me on my toes) :). But if anyone thinks the the gov does not already know who has guns and were you are, ccw, nra member or not is kidding themselves.

I am surprised that one negative has not come up. When times comes for the gov to go gun collecting (like Katrina) nothing makes that easier than a list of CCW holders. Whether it is your home or driving down the road. CCW is a 'liberty' that can be withdrawn at any time. Suspension of Constitution liberties (not rights; rights cannot be taken away in a heartbeat) is only a pen stroke away. You have a 2nd Amendment to protect against government run amok, not to defend yourself in an alley confrontation, although that fact was blurred long ago.

I don't carry simply because I see it as more of a potential liability then a benefit. If I lived in Detroit or somewhere inherently dangerous, that would probably be different. Than the threat to my living as a free man would be coming from criminal elements more than oppressive gov. As it is now I see the possibility that I'll need a gun to defend myself outside of my home as almost non-existent statistically. About the same odds as being hit by lightning.

Never want to see the inside of a jail cell, never want to be arrested. The easiest way to end up in that situation is to pull out a (legal) gun in public to defend myself; or god forbid fire it. In 99.9% of situations my wits or fists will get me out of bad situations and I would have to worry about going for a ride in most defense scenarios.

People not wanting to go to Fred Meyers or to get gas without a gun to me is just paranoid and nutty. This is coming from a guy that loves guns, thinks the 2nd should be defended 100%. Just the whole CCW thing is entirely an unnecessary risk for me personally.

All for OTHERS doing it though. I should say that I think any law abiding person should be able to carry if they want to, w/o any government special permission like CCW. Of course I would never do that because as I said I'd frown on jail time. By playing the CCW/CWP game you are saying 'here I am', come take it.

So you think you're safe because you live in Portland?

Not too long ago I was cleaning my car at a carwash on MLK & Killings-worth & some girl comes up sniveling asking to borrow my phone...
Bring gullible I allowed her to. She was babbling something about a boyfriend roughing her up & sniveling, yet no tears.

She pretended to be looking through her purse for phone #'s but wasn't focusing on her purse, but looking around.
Then she asks if she can get in my car. I said no.

Now she didn't request it loudly enough for anyone very far away to hear over traffic, however 2 rather large men about 1/2 the carwash's property's length away were making a B-line toward me & the larger of the 2 yells out that he'll tear that car apart to get to her & tear "that white mother******" apart too...

Needless to say their attitudes changed when my Glock came out & all of a sudden they decided they "ain't got no beef wit me dawg".

I ordered the young lady to return my phone, at which point she stated that if I called the 911 she would tell the police I tried to kidknapp & rape her.

I dialed 911 & was placed on hold by an automated system!

I carry in part because when not running my business I'm the guy does 1:1 staffing with the violent & homicidal Patients in the psychiatric units that I work at & have received countless death threats from those we've had to restrain when they became violent, but they can come in handy for people trying to set you up to harm you too.

Now, if you're paranoid about gun confiscations, don't buy a gun other than an FTF transaction & quit talking about your guns on a GUN BOARD, because if you seriously think that info disappears, I have a bridge I'll make you one heck of a deal on.

However, if a situation arises & you do carry without a permit, you're now a criminal.
If you open carry to be legal, you're a target & strangely enough, even if you wanted to open carry in Portland or other cities, you'd need your CHL anyhow.

People not wanting to go to Fred Meyers or to get gas without a gun to me is just paranoid and nutty.

This is perhaps the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while. I carry, literally, every day when I'm outside of my house, and have done so for the past 12.5 years. No exceptions. Why? Am I paranoid an nutty? I don't like to think so. I've been trying to find a reliable crystal ball so I know when I'll need a gun, but I haven't any luck finding one. I absolutely refuse to be unprepared if something, God forbid, were to happen. Crazy bad stuff happens every day, and it's not limited to the 'slums' and 'bad' parts of town. Just ask Gert Boyle how "safe" a nice part of town is.

Don't feel like carrying because you've convinced yourself you won't need it? That's a lot nuttier to me.

To the OP: get your permit and get training. I normally don't pay for my firearms training (you can figure that out), but I spent my own money to go to a tactical handgun class in WA, and it was well worth it. At least know what you're getting into. If you get your permit, do some training and decide it's not for you, so be it. At least you learned for yourself.

Puma...
Some just don't get it...

If they KNEW they'd need it, they would be guilty of first degree murder if they didn't avoid the situation.

We carry, in part to protect people like them & their families as well as our own from situations that just spring themselves upon us.

Regardless of where one lives stuff happens.

If you live in a rural area, you have many more delusional tweekers who are insane on meth.
In my area, you have crackheads, thugs, junkies & "gangstas" in addition to the "normal" people who "lose it" for whatever reason or those who are desperately trying to keep from going under in this economy by doing something really stupid.

NOWHERE is absolutely safe & the "safest" place is actually more dangerous because that's where people drop their guard.
How many times have we seen some poor sap "victim" saying "nothing like that ever happens here, it's a safe area"?

But it's probably best that people without insight or foresight don't carry anyhow.

Same with the trigger happy types who spend their time fantasizing about whacking the bad guy like Ralphie does Bad Bart on A Christmas Story. Some just aren't mature enough to be trusted sometimes & thankfully, they're the type who aren't inclined to do the paperwork & wait.

In the situation I relayed above, I would have been completely within my rights to drop both the men who were about to "tear me apart". They expressed motive, displayed & expressed intent & had opportunity, however the threat stopped in my eyes, so I let them live.

Now if 911 hadn't placed me on hold, they may be off the streets, but that didn't happen.
Instead, they walked off & likely they set up & mugged some other poor sap victim who didn't expect he'd need his pistol that day because he was in his hometown & felt safe.

3break-in's at my house this year. Last week, my neghibor came home to his house broken into and his wife gagged and bound. Last year, I lived in Portland. The negihborhood was pretty quiet...... 7 freak'n shootings w/in the last two weeks before I moved. Cops carry everday and very rarely do they ever have to shoot someone. When and if you need a gun, I really hope youve got one. Meth is the #1 drug in america, Tweekers are all aound us.... Be safe!

3break-in's at my house this year. Last week, my neghibor came home to his house broken into and his wife gagged and bound. Last year, I lived in Portland. The negihborhood was pretty quiet...... 7 freak'n shootings w/in the last two weeks before I moved. Cops carry everday and very rarely do they ever have to shoot someone. When and if you need a gun, I really hope youve got one. Meth is the #1 drug in america, Tweekers are all aound us.... Be safe!

Maybe it's time to just move away from there? With all this happening a gun isn't going to save you.Eventually someone will die.
Why wouldn't you move out of this area to make it safer for your family?
Kinda just the opposite of "rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it."
You need it all the time,so make it so you don't need it all the time

Ah..... . .. . ...
So... all families in the portland metro area's need to move then? Probably not gonna happen. How about we tighten our enforcement? Law's? Make meth crime punishment worse than genocide. Ans see if next week, meth is still the number one drug in america? (While were shoveling out BS of course)....

To be honest, the number one reason i obtained a CCW was for the ability to buy a pistol and leave the store with it. Second was to be able to carry when hiking in the wilderness (sorry, but Deliverance messed a lot of us up...didn't it?) I rarely go anywhere where I would need to carry, but I like to have the option. Peace of mind. And if someone does threaten me or my family in my home, I think it would "look" better that I am a "licensed" gun owner.

I had my Oregon and Utah permits for several months before even owning a handgun. It was never an issue of "needing" one...or even feeling uncomfortable without one. I got the permits so I at least have the option; a "civil rights" matter, if you will.

And having gone through all the permitting red tape, it now seems excessive. The idea that, without it, I'm a criminal for simply sticking that hunk of metal/polymer in my pocket is asinine. But I'm preaching to the choir...

Actually carrying is another matter entirely. Personally, I'm still on the fence. But I have the option.

Get it. Have the option. Use your conscience. Live your life :)

snip.... I rarely go anywhere where I would need to carry

So, you never leave your house? Oh wait, Gert Boyle lived in a nice area of West Linn and was the victim of a home invasion robbery. The truth is that nobody ever knows when they may need a gun. We can play the odds and make some guesses about the relative risk we may face in a particular part of town or in a particular situation, but it's just guesswork. Somehow implying that one only needs to carry a gun while in a "bad" part of town or in is naive at best. If you only carry some of the time, that's up to you and only you can make that decision, but I doubt you'll have many people here agreeing with your logic.

Fact remains that pre-SHTF that the chance of me ever needing a gun on my person is about .001%.

Why are people so offended by a choice not to carry like is it 'crazy?' I certainly am not concerned about 'terror'. Odds are statistically higher that I'll choke on a peanut or get hit by lightning; all of that is based on fear mongering. As for feeling I am safe in Portland, I never said that; you are never completely safe anywhere, but very rarely would a threat be using a gun against me. Even then, there are defensive, evasive measures.

With the constant fear-fear-fear being pushed by the main stream media and every single obscure story about ANY robbery or home invasion being covered in the usual 'this could happen to you' take, I understand why many succumb to fear.

I carry a canister of bear/hardcore 10-oz spray and a 1200-lumen flashlight with me in my vehicles. If I know I am going to be in a bad area, a Kimber dual spray; within 15'-20' an attacker is screwed. That will take care of 99.9% of the greatest threats I will ever see pre-SHTF. I won't go to jail for a miscalculation in their use (most likely) vs pulling out a gun and firing. Plus, I am 240lbs so I don't appear to be an easy target to a perp.

PDX cops have horrendous chips on their shoulders and I am sure they are not going to want to give a CHL holder a fair shake in a defensive shooting.

Misuse or perceived misuse of a handgun is much more a threat to me than not having a gun on my person. I respect people's decision to carry. I love guns believe me, train weekly. But a gun on my person just isn't my bag.

A reverse example of risk would be that 99% of people have less than one week of food stored in case of an emergency. That is nuts. Only 2% of Americans having PMs, nuts. Deciding not to carry is nuts? I don't see it. 90% of the time I am within two minutes of a gun, that is good enough for me.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top