JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nobody will ever get pressured to carry by me. I completely understand how unlikely a person is to ever need a firearm. I will also have very little sympathy for anyone that chooses to be unprepared for a dangerous event no matter how unlikely they felt it was that event would occur. Don't carry and get attacked and injured or loose a loved one...that isn't your fault really, it is the fault of the person that attacks you, but you do bare the blame of being willing to be helpless in the face of adversity. You chose to not be prepared.

I am debating getting a CC permit, but I have some questions and would like some input.

I really see no down-side.

Any opinions? Suggestions?

Get it. Maybe you never need it. But when that morning dawns and you wake up feeling like you should today, you have the option.

There is literally no down side.

So you think you're safe because you live in Portland?

Not too long ago I was cleaning my car at a carwash on MLK & Killings-worth & some girl comes up sniveling asking to borrow my phone...
Bring gullible I allowed her to. She was babbling something about a boyfriend roughing her up & sniveling, yet no tears.

She pretended to be looking through her purse for phone #'s but wasn't focusing on her purse, but looking around.
Then she asks if she can get in my car. I said no.

Now she didn't request it loudly enough for anyone very far away to hear over traffic, however 2 rather large men about 1/2 the carwash's property's length away were making a B-line toward me & the larger of the 2 yells out that he'll tear that car apart to get to her & tear "that white mother******" apart too...

Needless to say their attitudes changed when my Glock came out & all of a sudden they decided they "ain't got no beef wit me dawg".

I ordered the young lady to return my phone, at which point she stated that if I called the 911 she would tell the police I tried to kidknapp & rape her.

I dialed 911 & was placed on hold by an automated system!

I carry in part because when not running my business I'm the guy does 1:1 staffing with the violent & homicidal Patients in the psychiatric units that I work at & have received countless death threats from those we've had to restrain when they became violent, but they can come in handy for people trying to set you up to harm you too.

Now, if you're paranoid about gun confiscations, don't buy a gun other than an FTF transaction & quit talking about your guns on a GUN BOARD, because if you seriously think that info disappears, I have a bridge I'll make you one heck of a deal on.

However, if a situation arises & you do carry without a permit, you're now a criminal.
If you open carry to be legal, you're a target & strangely enough, even if you wanted to open carry in Portland or other cities, you'd need your CHL anyhow.

Well said. Enough said.

i did not have one on me in 1990 i did not carry then i was jumped by a gang of young men and was beaten with a tree limb and stabbed with ether a ice pick or a screw driver 7 times the doctor said . they punthured my left lung left upper arm and repeatedly my back i wish id been carrying that night

I am debating getting a CC permit, but I have some questions and would like some input.

First off, I do not plan to carry daily. I climb trees for a living, and it's not reasonable to lug a handgun around while you're trimming. Second, it's a fireable offense, and a total violation of company policy. I don't want to carry on my commute and then leave a handgun in my vehicle all the time, because I park every day at remote areas where a break in is likely. I don't leave anything of value in my car and I leave it unlocked.

Generally speaking, I feel no real need or desire to carry a firearm in public. I am comfortable going to the zoo, a movie, Fred Meyers, etc unarmed.

Another factor against daily carry is that none of my pistols are of a CC design, and I don't intend to purchase a handgun specifically to carry.

Now, that being said, there are some times I would like to carry a firearm.

I sometimes want to keep a firearm in the car or cab of the truck when I drive in remote or sketchy areas. Twice in the coast range I had tense encounters. Ultimately, the situations resolved themselves peacefully, but I sure wished I had a gun both times. Both times I debated on just taking the pistol with me, but I knew it was illegal, so I left it home.
Once while on a family road trip, we were essentially "attacked" by another vehicle, totally out of the blue. No cell service, I felt helpless. Fortunately, that situation resolved itself, but once again, I wished I had a pistol handy, just in case.
Another instance.. While rock climbing with my ex-wife near Troutdale, we were tailed and followed by a group of 4 creeps. We can both remember the bad vibe clearly to this day, running to our car from the crag, glad the ranger hadn't locked the gate yet. I would've felt better having a gun in my backpack, but I would not have wanted to open-carry for a lot of reasons.

Since I am a legal, law-abiding, sane, tax-payer citizen and a good neighbor, there is nothing stopping me from getting the permit. I am tempted to get one just because I can. I really see no down-side.

Any opinions? Suggestions?

Only you can answer that question..........................................

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top