JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
They can be had on Gunbroker for $390 including shipping and local FFL fees.

What's wrong with them, if anything? Here's one

What's a better "budget" choice in AK-74? I'm looking for some and then a bunch of ammo for relatives if the shtf.

Thanks. :s0155:

I don't think there is anything wrong with them but I think they take a proprietary magazine. To get it to take surplus ak-74 magazines you have to change out the bullet guide. The advantage of these guns is that you get a Russian made receiver and barrel. I don't think the 5.45 is all that, other than the price of surplus ammo. Its less powerful than the 5.56 and I don't know if you can get the military ammo that has the air space in the nose of the bullet which causes the bullet to yaw and give it the legendary stopping power we have read about. Also, with no US or other foreign based producer of 5.45 you risk being at the mercy of a Presidential Executive Order barring the importation of ammunition from Russia. Where is all that cheap Norinco ammunition these days? If you are thinking of stocking up and occasionally shooting some then you are probably good to go. I'm more of a collector so I tend to discriminate more about guns but if you just want a cheap AK plinker then this would be a good example.

Centerfire Systems has a cheap Bulgarian ak-74 for $369.99 shipped. I've heard the barrel isn't chrome lined though.

I'm not a fan of chrome lined barrels anyway unless it's going to see a lot of rounds or get hot from a lot of sustained rapid fire including select fire.

The chrome lining affects accuracy and is a trade-off. I have an AR-15 which just went past 4,000 rounds of XM193 and the chrome moly 1:9 barrel still looks and shoots great.

There's nothing actually wrong with the Saigas. I have one in 7.62x39 and it's a great rifle, especially for the price. What probably makes them cheap is they're imported as sporter rifles, so they lack a pistol grip, muzzle brake, and come with only a proprietary 10-rd magazine. If you wish to use a full capacity magazine, have a pistol grip, or a muzzle brake (among other "evil" features) you have to worry about 922R compliance and parts counts and all that. So you can have a Saiga with a pistol grip, and 30-rd mag and all that, it just takes a bit of work, and a bit more money. "Converted" Saigas tend to cost a good deal more, because someone took the time and money to make the Saiga accept standard AK mags, and also adding a pistol grip, all the while replacing enough parts to assure 922R compliance.

Thanks. Sounds better to start with a "real" AK-74.

The ammo is so cheap, and it's ballistically close to XM193. It's hotter than .223. For a few guns to pass out to relatives, and to have thousands of rounds, it looks like a decent deal. If I buy several all at once in the same make and model, there should be some parts if they break.

Here's the interesting thing about the Saiga 5.45s: They take standard AK-74 magazines without any modification. In addition, they will GENERALLY function fine without the addition of a bullet guide, however, the bullet guide will increase reliability when shooting while moving. $390 seems a bit high for the Saiga 5.45s but they are wonderful rifles. With a few simple modifications, you can have as close as you can get to a true Russian AK-74.

I'm not a fan of chrome lined barrels anyway unless it's going to see a lot of rounds or get hot from a lot of sustained rapid fire including select fire.

The chrome lining affects accuracy and is a trade-off. I have an AR-15 which just went past 4,000 rounds of XM193 and the chrome moly 1:9 barrel still looks and shoots great.

In that case, here is the link if your interested. I ordered one yesterday.
<broken link removed>

I see real AK74's for $450 all the time and they will retain their value longer.

In reference to holding their value longer, are you comparing a real AK to an unconverted Saiga? If not what are you basing that on? Looking at the prices converted Saigas go for they seem to hold value quite nicely.

Here's the interesting thing about the Saiga 5.45s: They take standard AK-74 magazines without any modification. In addition, they will GENERALLY function fine without the addition of a bullet guide, however, the bullet guide will increase reliability when shooting while moving. $390 seems a bit high for the Saiga 5.45s but they are wonderful rifles. With a few simple modifications, you can have as close as you can get to a true Russian AK-74.

I seem to have one of the oddities in that mine clearly has reliability issues without a bullet guide. I have about 50&#37; chance of making it through a mag with out ftf using stock surplus mags. Now I just need to get around to installing the bullet guide.

Also, with no US or other foreign based producer of 5.45 you risk being at the mercy of a Presidential Executive Order barring the importation of ammunition from Russia. Where is all that cheap Norinco ammunition these days? If you are thinking of stocking up and occasionally shooting some then you are probably good to go. I'm more of a collector so I tend to discriminate more about guns but if you just want a cheap AK plinker then this would be a good example.

Actually Hornaday will be releasing 5.45X39 in the near future according to the "Big Book of AK's" that I have. On eof the editors got some prerelease and fired it.

I found a Saiga in .308 Win today for $469, they did have them in 7.62X39, .223 and 12 GA, but they're gone for now. Didn't really like the trigger though but I suppose a Tapco could be installed. Price seemed kind of high to me

I am doing an order on some Saiga 12s soon, check the group buy forum. If you want any of the other ones (except the 5.45, I still can't get that one for some reason) I can tag them on too, but it's primarily a Saiga 12 group buy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top