JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I seem to remember (could be wrong) that a gun registration is against the law in Oregon.... anyone know the specific law?

It's currently illegal, though Governor Brown by executive order has required the OSP to keep a de facto gun registry of all transactions. This law would change the currently law to allow for a registry,

It's a good talking point when you talk to your friends and neighbors about i43.

It's currently illegal, though Governor Brown by executive order has required the OSP to keep a de facto gun registry of all transactions. This law would change the currently law to allow for a registry,

The more I think about this the more ridiculous it gets.

They wouldn't just have to change the law to allow the registry, they would have to, at great expense I'm sure, develop the software to enable such a registry in the first place.

On top of that is the requirement to register magazines which have no serial numbers, so now we're talking about what? State issued asset tags that have to be permanently or semi-permanently attached to them? How much is that going to cost? Amazon shows generic aluminum tags being around $1.07 per tag.

They wouldn't just have to change the law to allow the registry, they would have to, at great expense I'm sure, develop the software to enable such a registry in the first place.

On top of that is the requirement to register magazines which have no serial numbers, so now we're talking about what? State issued asset tags that have to be permanently or semi-permanently attached to them? How much is that going to cost? Amazon shows generic aluminum tags being around $1.07 per tag.

I think they would be pleased if it cost the citizen, I mean subject, at least $50 to register each magazine, and perhaps do it like and through the DMV - an asset tag with a dated tag so you have to re-register on an annual or semi-annual basis. It raises revenue for the state while punishing people you don't like. Same-same with firearms, though at a higher cost. After that it's a short step to registrations of all firearms and ammunition caps.

I think they would be pleased if it cost the citizen, I mean subject, at least $50 to register each magazine, and perhaps do it like and through the DMV - an asset tag with a dated tag so you have to re-register on an annual or semi-annual basis. It raises revenue for the state while punishing people you don't like. Same-same with firearms, though at a higher cost. After that it's a short step to registrations of all firearms and ammunition caps.

I think it would be awesome every single one of the gun owners simply ignored the law 100% what would they do arrest 1/2 the population ? This needs to be opposed the same way their illegal sanctuary cities are, except our defiance is Constitutionally sealed.

...look on the "bright" side, maybe they'd hire the same folks that did the failed "Cover Oregon" web site to do the registry software....$300 Mil here, another third of a billion there....pretty soon you're talking about real money.....:eek:

It's currently illegal, though Governor Brown by executive order has required the OSP to keep a de facto gun registry of all transactions.

I really want to use this gun registration law in some of my arguments but I can't find any evidence of it. Can you provide a link to somewhere I can read up on this? It's especially important now because I don't want to write anything in my IP43 letter that states something that doesn't exist. I can't find the executive order you mentioned. I'm looking here, but there are 62 executive orders I have to look through to find it. Do you have any idea what it's named or how I can find it? I'll continue looking in case I don't hear back.

If they already have a registry and it goes through they will have a record of those guns changing hands and a easy way to ID those that do not comply .Which was probably the plan the whole time.

I really want to use this gun registration law in some of my arguments but I can't find any evidence of it. Can you provide a link to somewhere I can read up on this? It's especially important now because I don't want to write anything in my IP43 letter that states something that doesn't exist. I can't find the executive order you mentioned. I'm looking here, but there are 62 executive orders I have to look through to find it. Do you have any idea what it's named or how I can find it? I'll continue looking in case I don't hear back.
Call OSP and ask them

Call OSP and ask them

I've learned over the years that one of the least reliable sources of existing law is local law enforcement.

Even if they mean well, the likelihood that they don't know the answer to my question, have false knowledge in reply to my question, or have outdated information in reply my question is no excuse for my lack of knowledge about the issue. They have no obligation to provide us to answers to our questions and even though I fully respect their position, the individual representative I ask does not represent the knowledge of the entire department.

I'll keep digging until I hear back.

they already have the software

Executive order 16-12:

<broken link removed>

Got it by Googling "kate brown executive order guns"

Thank you! I just found this one. I'm reading the text now and from my first cursory look, it seems like this is just to give OSP the ability to retain the records for as long as they're lawfully allowed to, which is five years. Based on this, I don't think 3MTA3 was completely accurate in his statement.

From what I understand They are allowed to keep a record, but are not allowed to keep it more than five years. I'll keep looking into this and let you know what I find.

Please, if anyone has any more sourced info on this it's very important that we have it as a collective so we can use this information as a group.

Thanks for the replies tonight people!

Last Edited:

Is this of any help? I didn't read the entire thread so not sure if this is what you are after, but check it out.

Register of transfers of used firearms:
ORS 166.427 - Register of transfers of used firearms - 2017 Oregon Revised Statutes

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads