JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Sent this to the nice Rabbi:

Rabbi Cahana,

I respectfully disagree with you regarding the types of guns used for hunting and sporting purposes. I use exactly the types of guns that your proposed initiative bans for exactly those purposes and would be unable to do so if the initiative passes due to the extremely unreasonable language governing where those guns can be transported for use. I have also carried a handgun for personal defense in accordance with state and federal laws for many years that I would no longer be able to carry simply because it holds 12 rounds in the magazine rather than 10 or less.

You are obviously very disconnected from the people that your initiative attacks and extremely insensitive to us who simply choose to live our lives differently than you. It is a shame that you cannot afford us the same respect to exercise our 2nd Amendment rights that we afford you to exercise your 1st Amendment rights without trying to force your personal choice upon us.

Last Edited:
I contacted Ben Carpenter ([email protected]) and within an hour got a reply from him:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Date: Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: Oregon, IP43
To: Gary Xxxxxxxxx <[email protected]>

Hi Gary,

Thanks for reaching out regarding IP 43. You're right in reaching out to me - as I cover grassroots operations in the Northwest with ILA. We are watching this initiative petition very closely - and you're right about them crossing the first threshold. I will say, behind the scenes we are going to challenge the initiative, and it will likely leave signature gatherers about a month to gather the 88k+ signatures necessary to get the petition on the ballot - if it isn't already struck down on legal grounds.

They chose to opt in NOT using paid signature gatherers, solely leaving it to volunteers - and with an 80:20 validity rate, is a steep climb to make. That being said, if it were to look likely to reach the ballot, ILA will have a couple full-time field staff on the ground here. I happen to reside in Salem myself, so I have a personal vested interest in what happens here locally. That being said, I will be out of state for the next month between Nevada, North Dakota, Virginia, and Texas.

Keely Hopkins, our legislative liaison for the region is also based here in Oregon, up in Portland. She will be working on the lobby front to do our best at stalling the petition process.

I will be sending email alerts with updates on where things stand with regard to the petition, and at this time - I would urge everyone to sign up for those email alerts, which can be found at nraila.org/grassroots. You can also get the alerts through our phone app, just search for NRA in the android or apple app store.

I look forward to working with you and others affiliated with NorthwestFirearms!

Yours in Freedom,

Ben Carpenter
Grassroots Field Coordinator
NRA-ILA Grassroots Division

I hadn't realized he actually lives in Salem himself. Crossing my fingers on this, hoping the NRA has some leverage. I'm signed up for those email alerts, it might be good for everyone here to do that as well. If there's any opportunities we may have to assist with this grass roots opposition effort, it would be great if all of us here can get involved as much as we can.

Gary

Trying to hide his identity, nothing more! The IRS will be looking at both him and his church closely, count on it!:):):)
Sneaky, but ineffective, the State and the IRS will put it all together, still, keeping up the pressure is a good thing! That's something to look at, his name change on the paperwork filed with the State, falsifying documents knowingly should earn him a hard slap at the least! Maybe a call to the local Sheriffs office should be made, from a concerned citizen!:D

I seriously doubt that the IRS will look into this as they internally seem to abide by the left from what I've seen from their past decisions...:(

I contacted Ben Carpenter ([email protected]) and within an hour got a reply from him:

Date: Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: Oregon, IP43
To: Gary Xxxxxxxxx <[email protected]>

Hi Gary,

Thanks for reaching out regarding IP 43. You're right in reaching out to me - as I cover grassroots operations in the Northwest with ILA. We are watching this initiative petition very closely - and you're right about them crossing the first threshold. I will say, behind the scenes we are going to challenge the initiative, and it will likely leave signature gatherers about a month to gather the 88k+ signatures necessary to get the petition on the ballot - if it isn't already struck down on legal grounds.

They chose to opt in NOT using paid signature gatherers, solely leaving it to volunteers - and with an 80:20 validity rate, is a steep climb to make. That being said, if it were to look likely to reach the ballot, ILA will have a couple full-time field staff on the ground here. I happen to reside in Salem myself, so I have a personal vested interest in what happens here locally. That being said, I will be out of state for the next month between Nevada, North Dakota, Virginia, and Texas.

Keely Hopkins, our legislative liaison for the region is also based here in Oregon, up in Portland. She will be working on the lobby front to do our best at stalling the petition process.

I will be sending email alerts with updates on where things stand with regard to the petition, and at this time - I would urge everyone to sign up for those email alerts, which can be found at nraila.org/grassroots. You can also get the alerts through our phone app, just search for NRA in the android or apple app store.

I look forward to working with you and others affiliated with NorthwestFirearms!

Yours in Freedom,

Ben Carpenter
Grassroots Field Coordinator
NRA-ILA Grassroots Division

I hadn't realized he actually lives in Salem himself. Crossing my fingers on this, hoping the NRA has some leverage. I'm signed up for those email alerts, it might be good for everyone here to do that as well. If there's any opportunities we may have to assist with this grass roots opposition effort, it would be great if all of us here can get involved as much as we can.

Gary

I contacted Ben as well and linked him to the site. He mentioned to me to contact him with any other ideas.

Though some of the threads can go off tangent, the best we organize here to fight this the better.

Oregon - NRA responds as supporters of proposed assault weapons ban in Oregon turn in signatures

I'd say we put together a sheet of talking points and have volunteers bring them to all the gun shops in Portland. We want the gun store owners to be telling their customers what they will lose out on if they dont fight this

This is the financial information on the petition committee on the initiative. They have to record every financial bit of information here within 48 hours.

Oregon Secretary Of State

The chief petitioners seemed to have used their home addresses and cell phone numbers. Our Rabbi Michael Z. Cahana lives in a $1.4 million dollar home in the skyline area. I'm in a wrong business I guess. Sounds like he is very good at helping the unfortunate (unfortunately, just himself).

Our second pastor, Walter J Knutson, III, lives in a $600,000 house in a nice part of Portland as well.

(I dont think Joe will allow personal contact information here but Orestar is a public site and what ever they put on the public site is available to anyone)

They list no expenditures but somehow printed at least 300 pages of signature forms? That needs to be recorded as a an expenditure or a gift in kind. Anyone know the date they started collecting signatures? Perhaps it was under a committee for initiative 42?

If it was after 3/22 then we need to file a complaint with the SOS that they are not recording expenditures. No expenditures recorded in 8 days.

You may want to collect some screenshots, because I dont think they realized this information would be public

Good catch Bolus, may also stick them on the switch between rev. 42 and rev. 43, the time between should count, and, what of the expenditures of 42? Do they count for 43, or do they have to start over?

Good catch Bolus, may also stick them on the switch between rev. 42 and rev. 43, the time between should count, and, what of the expenditures of 42? Do they count for 43, or do they have to start over?

That I dont know, there isnt a initiative 42 listed. I searched by the petitioner's name and there is only one listed. It has been a while but I'm pretty sure the time to record is 48 hours. They are using C&E systems which does this professionally. About So I imagine they are by the books. But still, you dont submit 3000 some odd signatures with no expenditures recorded. Every cent needs to be recorded. Paper isnt free.

The petitioners must name a Treasurer within 3 days of receiving a contribution or having an expenditure, which it seems they have done. This may be the 48 hours that Bolus seems to recollect. In any case, they are required to follow Campaign Finance Laws, so that is what we need to hold them too.

Complaints can be file here, and must meet the guidelines found on page 66 of the document linked above.

Last Edited:
The petitioners must name a Treasurer within 3 days of receiving a contribution or having an expenditure, which it seems they have done. This may be the 48 hours that Bolus seems to recollect. In any case, they are required to follow Campaign Finance Laws, so that is what we need to hold them too.

Thanks, that seems different than I remember for our recall petition. I dont remember the convoluted reporting deadlines as in that manual (some within 30 days, others within 7 days, some before a specific date)

The chief petitioners seemed to have used their home addresses and cell phone numbers. Our Rabbi Michael Z. Cahana lives in a $1.4 million dollar home in the skyline area. I'm in a wrong business I guess. Sounds like he is very good at helping the unfortunate (unfortunately, just himself).

Our second pastor, Walter J Knutson, III, lives in a $600,000 house in a nice part of Portland as well.

Once again.... wealthy charlatans (SJW and Religion) trying to disarm the masses.... o_O

$10 says these A-holes have armed security details of some sort. :rolleyes:

That I dont know, there isnt a initiative 42 listed. I searched by the petitioner's name and there is only one listed. It has been a while but I'm pretty sure the time to record is 48 hours. They are using C&E systems which does this professionally. About So I imagine they are by the books. But still, you dont submit 3000 some odd signatures with no expenditures recorded. Every cent needs to be recorded. Paper isnt free.
Corporate theft from the church?? :eek: That's an ugly word, let's use charitable donation.

I wonder if going door to door in your neighborhood (if it safe) and talk to your neighbors about this IP43 and what the ramifications would be if it got on the ballot and somehow passed. And ask them if approached by someone politely tell them no I will not sign it....

I wonder if going door to door in your neighborhood (if it safe) and talk to your neighbors about this IP43 and what the ramifications would be if it got on the ballot and somehow passed. And ask them if approached by someone politely tell them no I will not sign it....

I know more than one person in my neighborhood who would refuse to sign or vote for this initiative - several, including myself, would walk the person out of the neighborhood (I live on a private road) and tell them to not show their face here or be cited for trespassing.

My bet is that they'll be canvassing solely in Portland, Salem, and Bend.
Eugene

But yes, they would never come up here.

First, it is extra-rural.

Second, we already have a reputation on the mountain for responding with guns to prowlers.

Third, on any given Sunday (or any other day where people are home from work), you can hear gunfire - weekday evenings during the summer.

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads