JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend asked me for some advice today and, for one rare moment, I wasn't sure how to answer. Here's the scenario:

Assume this all takes place in Oregon...

An older fellow dies, leaving a few dozen weapons to his widow. Revolvers and lever guns (nothing NFA). Now a couple of the (adult) kids are squabbling over who gets what. Seems to me they're all the widow's guns to keep, sell or give to anyone she sees fit. Yes?

Given how the collection was assembled over the years, I'm guessing that most were private transactions. But even if some/all were acquired through dealers with background checks, they're still her property to dispose of any way she likes. Is she required to report anything to anyone? I don't think so, but I'm not a lawyer either.

My friend will call some FFL guys tomorrow and some other people who should steer him right. I advised him not to mistake my opinion for legal advice. I suspect, though, that as long as no state lines are crossed, it's all adults, and no felons are involved, this is no different than her selling or gifting a bicycle.

Yes? No? Perhaps?

There is NO registration either Federally or in OR.

The firearms are the legal property of the widow unless there was a Will stating otherwise. She can do with them as she chooses. It does not matter where the firearms were acquired assuming they are all legal (as you state).

As for disposing of them she can do with them as she chooses as long as she follows the law, https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

<Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!

There is NO registration either Federally or in OR.

The firearms are the legal property of the widow unless there was a Will stating otherwise. She can do with them as she chooses. It does not matter where the firearms were acquired assuming they are all legal (as you state).

As for disposing of them she can do with them as she chooses as long as she follows the law, https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons
And in WA, where handgun sales at an FFL have to be reported to the gov. and no registry is kept (Yah, right.....) there is no requirement to report private sales.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

And in WA, where handgun sales at an FFL have to be reported to the gov. and no registry is kept (Yah, right.....) there is no requirement to report private sales.

Correct, I can sell it any time with no permission, no paperwork, no hassle, no record. They have NO proof that other then the moment I bought the gun that I still have it. Hard to be registered if that is the case.

If we want to continue this discussion we should start a new thread.

Been through this - without the squabbling. The firearms go to the estate, and generally if there is a surviving spouse, then the spouse gets possession of the estate unless there are specific written arrangements otherwise. Verbal doesn't count.

In many states, unless the value is above a certain amount ($6M in Oregon IIRC?) then there is little legal work to do.

So yes, the surviving spouse owns the firearms.

Kids squabbling over an estate is why everyone should have a will, a living trust, and estate planning setup by a lawyer. The more there is, the more important this is, but even for something as minor as who gets a Barbie doll it can save a lot of hassle.

If the person who gets a possession doesn't want it, then they can just gift it to someone who does, or not.

Also, I recommend that the person who is setting up the estate, make it clear to any beneficiaries what the setup is. This would preclude any surprises, which often lead to problems.

FWIW, I inherited my fathers firearms, all of them. Any of them that my siblings wanted I allowed them to take. One took three (he already had one), one who didn't have any eventually asked for one which I gave gladly. I sold/traded some of the others (many of them were gifts by me to my father), a few with a history I kept, and a couple I gave to my son-in-law.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top