JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to get some general purpose boots... some SHTF boots. I'd like to get some combat type boots that don't LOOK like combat boots.

Also I don't want to have to order anything online. I'd like to be able to go and try out them on. I'm willing travel between Eugene and Springfield.

Any thoughts?

Consider a good hiking boot instead,

IMO, combat boots are good boots for what they are designed for, but unless really need a boot that comes up that high a hiking boot might be a better bet. I have worn them all jungle boots, jump boots combat boots from 1978 and as recent as 2005 and I like hiking boots better for cross terrain, comfort arch support and breath able, the combat boots give you better ankle support and higher protection debri hits at ground level or snake bite (by a few inches). Go to the REI store in seattle and try some on wand wear them around the store and then try the combat boots some where,

Whatever boot you buy get good breatheable water wicking socks and break them in good, shtf the last thing you need are blisters from new boots and you will get them if the boots are not properly broken in.

WILCO farm stores carry Georgia Work boots, I have worn them doing construction and landscape materials home delieverys for 12 years now. I get better then 3 years of almost daily wear out of a pair. And I don't really take care of them like I should.

danners are local, and great, georgia, i would stay away from, redwings are local from where im from and in my opinion, are just as good, i like them better than danners, but since danners are local, they are more popular. working for 14 years in a profession outdoors on your feet all day, have always bought red wings. danners are a little more expensive, and if you want 24 hour comfort for months on end, buy custom molded insoles for either, and your feet feel like they are in feathers all day

danners are local, and great, georgia, i would stay away from, redwings are local from where im from and in my opinion, are just as good, i like them better than danners, but since danners are local, they are more popular. working for 14 years in a profession outdoors on your feet all day, have always bought red wings. danners are a little more expensive, and if you want 24 hour comfort for months on end, buy custom molded insoles for either, and your feet feel like they are in feathers all day

Thank you!!

Where do I get custom molded inserts at?

Try your local logging supply store. Loggers boots are the toughest thing going and are made of real leather. You can also get logger boots custom made for you. You can also get them without spikes on the bottom.

Thank you!!

Where do I get custom molded inserts at?

sorry for the late response, you can have it done at a Red Wing store. They will put you on the foot machine just like at running shoe sales stores and it shows your arch, pressure points, and more stuff than I know. They really make a good boot the best you can enjoy for 16 hours or more a day. I only know of the Beaverton store, If you check the web, you should be able to find the address. Hope this helps and sorry again for the very late response, I know how important it is to have comfortable feet when your income depends on them.

If you can get up to Portland, the Danner Factory Outlet on Airport Way usually has some good deals. I got a pair of combat hikers for $50 a while back. Once they're broken in, they're very comfy. They don't look like traditional combat boots, either.

In the Eugene area, Backcountry Gear has good quality stuff. I recommend checking them out if you haven't already.

If you're looking for a good SHTF combat boot, I'd look at Danner, Scarpa or Asolo. I've heard good things about Lowa, too. As much as I love Danner, my Scarpa Escapes have become my new favorite for most outdoor activities.

I've owned Merrells and Oakleys - they're among some of the most comfortable boots I've owned, but not the most durable for SHTF. We stopped buying them for Afghanistan because they just don't hold up.

For insoles, check out Superfeet at REI. They have a half dozen or so different models to match your foot shape. They run about $30. I've logged quite a few miles with them carrying heavy loads and absolutely love them.

If you can get up to Portland, the Danner Factory Outlet on Airport Way usually has some good deals. I got a pair of combat hikers for $50 a while back. Once they're broken in, they're very comfy. They don't look like traditional combat boots, either.

In the Eugene area, Backcountry Gear has good quality stuff. I recommend checking them out if you haven't already.

If you're looking for a good SHTF combat boot, I'd look at Danner, Scarpa or Asolo. I've heard good things about Lowa, too. As much as I love Danner, my Scarpa Escapes have become my new favorite for most outdoor activities.

I've owned Merrells and Oakleys - they're among some of the most comfortable boots I've owned, but not the most durable for SHTF. We stopped buying them for Afghanistan because they just don't hold up.

For insoles, check out Superfeet at REI. They have a half dozen or so different models to match your foot shape. They run about $30. I've logged quite a few miles with them carrying heavy loads and absolutely love them.

Which Merrells were you boys using?

I have enjoyed the Sawtooth and Outland. A lot of people like the Moab and Refuge too.

I agree about the Oakleys though - which is too bad because they are pretty comfy. I guess they make better glasses.

Which Merrells were you boys using?

I have enjoyed the Sawtooth and Outland. A lot of people like the Moab and Refuge too.

I agree about the Oakleys though - which is too bad because they are pretty comfy. I guess they make better glasses.

I don't remember the specific models the guys were wearing. When we went from regular combat boots to hiking boots, there wasn't a set standard in place. Guys were wearing whatever their units would buy them. Merrells were one of the more popular boots at the time and everyone I talked to loved the comfort, but they just weren't surviving six months in that terrain. The brands I mentioned above are the ones that have weathered the best under those circumstances.

Mind you, the PNW is definitely not Afghanistan. If you're not going to be carrying 50+ lbs of gear over dry rocky terrain day in and day out, I'm sure you'll have better luck with your Merrells. Based on my personal experiences, I would have no trouble recommending them to anyone looking for a good quality hiking boot. Since we're talking about getting a SHTF boot, though, I think durability in austere conditions is an important factor to consider and I think there are better boots out there for the money.

I don't remember the specific models the guys were wearing. When we went from regular combat boots to hiking boots, there wasn't a set standard in place. Guys were wearing whatever their units would buy them. Merrells were one of the more popular boots at the time and everyone I talked to loved the comfort, but they just weren't surviving six months in that terrain. The brands I mentioned above are the ones that have weathered the best under those circumstances.

Mind you, the PNW is definitely not Afghanistan. If you're not going to be carrying 50+ lbs of gear over dry rocky terrain day in and day out, I'm sure you'll have better luck with your Merrells. Based on my personal experiences, I would have no trouble recommending them to anyone looking for a good quality hiking boot. Since we're talking about getting a SHTF boot, though, I think durability in austere conditions is an important factor to consider and I think there are better boots out there for the money.

I agree with your assessment of the Merrells. I had a pair of reflex that were pretty light and very comfortable and provided great traction. I wouldn't use them for heavy loads or expect them to last under rough use.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top