JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which boots are the best for mountain hiking/ late season hunting?

• Total voters
How serious are you about the "Mountain" boot part?
For REAL mountain boots, that's easy, SALEWA Vulture Pro Vertical's, got two pairs and one pair of the older M-2 Pro Verts that are now discontinued!

For more general use, Korker, though their getting harder and harder to find in the non fishing line!
For hard core winter and snow and rocky use, Matterhorn in their mine mucking boot line.
RedWings also has a simmiler boot for off shore oil rigs, and they work amazingly well as an off trail boot like the Matterhorns above, just not as aggressive a tread and slightly less expensive!

Depends where, because terrain and substrate make a world of difference for the sound the boot makes.
Comfort is the first rule of thumb. Sturdy right with it.
One note, if your feet have the tendency to stink, you want the boot linings with silver (antimicrobial), because you can wear sent suppressant all you want, but if your feet stink, you're exposed.

I have Montrails (for Mt Hood hiking) that are loud AF on gravel.
Keene's that are much quieter, but do not offer the support in tough terrain, plus they are loud in grass (!!??).
Danner Loggers for cold, rock, mud and forest, but loud as heck on gravel.
Danner insulated for snowy field work
La Sportivas for above the tree line and on snow

I have a pair of work brogues that I picked up at Goodwill that are comfortable, sturdy, the quietest in all environments, but they are heavy and water now comes through the sole.

Boots I've had, worn out and would trust the brand again:
Asolo
Merrill

Had a pair of Mountain Hardware. Never again.

Rite now I am rocking some Danne's for cold and wet weather, Keens for the dry season and I have a pair of irish setters that fill in the other voids. There are so many good compromise out there just do your research before your purchase.

I did not see La Sportiva mentioned.
I have a pair that have hiked so many miles and climbed so many peaks in the PNW, Alaska, BC, Alberta, Europe, and New Zealand that I've lost track.
They are 20+ years old and still just keep on trekkin'... Can't wear 'em out. La Sportiva Makalu...
La Sportiva Makalu.jpg

Last Edited:
I did not see La Sportiva mentioned.
I have a pair that have climbed so many peaks in the PNW, Alaska, BC, Alberta, Europe, and New Zealand that I've lost track.
They are 20+ years old and still keep on trekking... Can't wear 'em out. La Sportiva Makalu...
View attachment 749713

Best boot out there! Kenetrek with the full steel shank is pretty close though. Danners and Keen are not even in the same class.

Best boot out there! Kenetrek with the full steel shank is pretty close though. Danners and Keen are not even in the same class.
My Makalus are also full steel-shanked. Really rigid soles - may take some people some gettin' used to...

All season footwear - summertime, without socks (had to do our own laundry with little available water so not wearing socks saved on laundry and water), winter time, with a thick pair of wool socks, maybe two pair on those cold mornings. :)

il_570xN.409384211_k1v2.jpg

I picked up these Gore tex Zamberlans a few weeks back. The quality is amazing and much better then any Danner, Georgia, or keen boot I have been wearing the last 20 plus years. I believe they are possibly hand made in Italy with a superior quality leather.

20200915_204724.jpg 20200915_204704.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads