JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, yeah, there's a non-zero possibility that it was an alien too. :)

Hmmm... does she have an aversion to carrying while out-n-about?

Perhaps cameras could help too, let each other keep an eye out.

I just don't think some random homeless guy (assuming) wandering around on your property is enough to get, literally, up-in-arms about.

One-offs are always going to happen, but what's the pattern? Is it REALLY an issue? Perhaps time/money better spent on other security solutions? A few dozen self-defense courses is cheaper than about any firearm, and the skill goes wherever you do.

Just thinkin' out loud here, I don't know your situation and have no right to judge it. Just a "what if it were me" thinkin'.
We must live in very different worlds. Out here on a mountain on the outskirts of Eugene we regularly have homeless trespassers in our woods. One of my neighbors found one building a fire on his property in August. Everyone has locked mailboxes because otherwise the mail disappears regularly. The homeless meth-heads are camping out in the woods, where they are free from police observation, and free to raid local homes and farms for food and salable items.

We have cameras and a large dog. I am observant. I keep a pair of muck boots and a big rechargeable, high powered light next to the back door at all times. My home defense weapons are in a fingerprint operated safe just steps from that door.

The most recent incident was when I saw a vehicle creeping down the gravel road at 3 am, 150 yards from the house near our driveway entrance. I watched it for about 5 minutes and it made about 200 feet of progress. I slipped on some sweats, grabbed my 1911 and the light, and slipped on the boots. I approached the small pickup truck in the dark without a light. The driver was alone and standing next to it. I called out from about 50 feet, "Can I help you?" Turned out to be a distant neighbor who is a birdwatcher. He explained that he was listening for owls, which are counted by listening for hoots, for the annual bird census. I wished him a good night and went back to bed. I don't think he ever knew I was armed.

We must live in very different worlds. Out here on a mountain on the outskirts of Eugene we regularly have homeless trespassers in our woods. One of my neighbors found one building a fire on his property in August. Everyone has locked mailboxes because otherwise the mail disappears regularly. The homeless meth-heads are camping out in the woods, where they are free from police observation, and free to raid local homes and farms for food and salable items.

We have cameras and a large dog. I am observant. I keep a pair of muck boots and a big rechargeable, high powered light next to the back door at all times. My home defense weapons are in a fingerprint operated safe just steps from that door.

The most recent incident was when I saw a vehicle creeping down the gravel road at 3 am, 150 yards from the house near our driveway entrance. I watched it for about 5 minutes and it made about 200 feet of progress. I slipped on some sweats, grabbed my 1911 and the light, and slipped on the boots. I approached the small pickup truck in the dark without a light. The driver was alone and standing next to it. I called out from about 50 feet, "Can I help you?" Turned out to be a distant neighbor who is a birdwatcher. He explained that he was listening for owls, which are counted by listening for hoots, for the annual bird census. I wished him a good night and went back to bed. I don't think he ever knew I was armed.

I remember that. You got lit up pretty good for being prepared. 10 miles east or west of the I-5 corridor is a different planet. Open enough to feel semi rural, but too close to the Valley of Sickness.

I just don't think some random homeless guy (assuming) wandering around on your property is enough to get, literally, up-in-arms about.

You don't know what you are dealing with in such a situation until you investigate, the fact we know he was likely homeless was AFTER the fact. Going to investigate ready for the worst is wisest course of action. Someone trespassing on my property gets very little wiggle room. He/she doesn't deserve to get shot but I, for one, will not be rolling up to that situation with donuts and coffee.

Next time give him change. He will go away.
. source.gif

Buddy has WiFi game cameras as security cams for his blind spots out away from the house. Cheep, battery/solar charging, rugged and come camouflaged. He just gets a text when one has movement. Mostly to run mushroom hunters poaching his morells off, but some are some scraggy-looking van-life types. o_O

The biggest take away should be not for you, but for your wife. If her immediate reaction is to "come save me husband" and is panicked seeing a stranger on the property then it sounds like she is not mentally prepared.

Calling you was a good choice, but if she was n't equipped or mentally prepared to take additional steps, that would be unfortunate.

I prescribe to the "my pants are on my gun is with me, philosophy" - but, alas my wife is more like your wife it seems.

I don't understand how the physically weaker sex of the species, which are victims of violence far greater than they are perpetrators, do not take it more seriously to carry.

I keep a pair of slipons shoes and slip on boots by the bed in case I need to leave the house in a hurry.

My phone is always either in my pocket or on the charger.

There is a loaded Shockwave near my bed.

There is a small flashlight usually in my pocket, and one on my bed headboard, several more around the house.

Jackets and other clothing to wear are hanging on hooks in my bedroom so I can get dressed quickly.

One thing that's worth mentioning is the proper posting of private property in regards to trespassing. Most are aware of signage and such, but for Oregon, few these days know that the red or orange top of a T-post is the equivalent of a "No Trespassing" sign (ORS 105.700). Knowing your rights as a landowner under that statute is important. It definitely favors the landowner if needed. I also believe a properly equipped AR is the correct weapon for this scenario. To paraphrase Jeff Cooper, a handgun is something to use to fight your way to your rifle.

Transients are completely unpredictable. They can seem fine and relatively harmless. They can also be completely bat-guano crazy. Good reason to keep them moving off and away from your property once they're near it.

They don't think like we do, and they don't react to situations like we do. As the old saying goes, "those who have nothing have nothing to lose..."

These people will frequently live in the woods part time, or travel to the woods for drugs, cooking drugs, or just finding mushrooms (free drugs)
Or even worse will find people that live far out and rob them.
either way, stay armed, and watch out for your neighbors.

Just to flesh it out a bit...

The 4 amigos I caught in my barn were fixin' to help themselves to some of my horses and tack. They had all of the stalls open, leads on several horses and were in the process of saddling 3 others. 2 of them were armed with pistols. Fortunately, my spanish ain't too shabby and I got plenty of good experience in Vietnam on handling hostile prisoners.

During a few "deployments" south of the border, I found that they're a lot like a cueball... the harder you smack 'em at the point of a gun, the more English you get out of them.

Last Edited:
I don't know the whole story, but seems a little "over the top". Wife "in a panic" and you chasing a homeless guy down in the snow with a semi in hand. That's some funny movie stuff there. But very glad it turned out okay and the family is fine. But still, seems a bit much. Eh, country folk. ;)
But still, seems a bit much. Eh, country folk. ;)
yup, us country folks do exist, it's our way of life. you are welcome if you knock on my door, and i invite you, only!!!
guess now it all depends on, is your prosecuting attorney gonna back the rights you pay taxes for?

Morning, a bit of clarity...

The horse was looking into the distance to the back pasture, which is 100+ feet from the barn. My wife wouldn't have stepped out the backside of the barn if she thought a bear or threat was that close. The two times we've seen a bear it has always kept its distance and transited the property well away from the house and barn. Wifey didn't immediately go look after noticing the horse's behavior. By the time she did, homeless guy had already cut across the pasture in the snow, come toward the barn, and was within 30' of the barn when she saw him.

As for homeless guy, we'll never know his real intentions unless he shows up again.

Wifey packing? She is not quite there yet, but we've had conversations. Sometimes the dogs go with her, sometimes not. I'm hoping going forward it will be frequently or always.

Me. I started keeping a pistol with me over a year ago when out working on the property or cutting the lawns.

Over-reaction? Dunno, don't care. I've had enough conversations with my LE friends to know there is a serious unpredictability factor with the homeless. Drugs, mental health, or their own form of SHTF. I have zero desire to shoot anyone, but I'm not interested in having them on my private property in any way, or making them feel welcome such that they might want to return.

Coming home one afternoon in my F250, about 100 yards into our driveway, at an intersection to a side road on our property, I encountered a Toyota sedan coming out of the side road. I pulled up, leaving enough room for him to get by on my driver's side, and rolled down my window to talk. He was coming from the direction of the local municipal water intake (pump station on the creek) which is the main source of water for about 15,000 people. I was going to ask what he was doing up there.

He blew by me going pretty fast for the conditions, and after a second to think, I turned around an pursued him. It took me almost four miles to catch up to him. This is only because he had to slow down when he got to town and encountered traffic.

I called 911 and told them of the situation. They kept me on the phone (hands free!) and diverted a Deputy to investigate. The Deputy was fortunately close, and pulled in behind me, but it was about five miles before he could get a chance to pull the suspect over. By then, he was halfway to I5.

The car had Washington plates, and the driver had a Washington license. He gave the officers (another came as backup) a story about getting lost looking for a friend, whose name an address changed during questioning. He had drug paraphernalia in sight in the car.

The Deputy asked if I wanted to make a trespassing complaint, and I said yes. They debated for over a half-hour, decided to let him go, then finally charged him. The DA followed up and prosecuted, and he was convicted a couple of months later.

I'm sure he was prowling, probably "casing" rural properties so his gang could come back at night to steal. By charging him, it sent a message that the property owner was alert, defensive, and aggressive. Also that the local law enforcement and DA were prepared to defend property. Now he was in the system, and probably a suspect if there were future burglaries.

If the Water Intake had not been involved, perhaps the DA wouldn't have prosecuted. It never was an official issue in the case, but everyone involved must have been concerned that there was a threat to the water supply. ;)

During questioning, the Deputy kept calling me with updates. Once, when he said that the suspect was changing his story and he was sure he was lying, I told him "Two can play that game. Tell him how lucky he is, because the guy that followed him has a history of holding trespassers at gunpoint." He was very amused by that, but I never heard back if he used it! :cool:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top