JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Morning, a bit of clarity...

The horse was looking into the distance to the back pasture, which is 100+ feet from the barn. My wife wouldn't have stepped out the backside of the barn if she thought a bear or threat was that close. The two times we've seen a bear it has always kept its distance and transited the property well away from the house and barn. Wifey didn't immediately go look after noticing the horse's behavior. By the time she did, homeless guy had already cut across the pasture in the snow, come toward the barn, and was within 30' of the barn when she saw him.

As for homeless guy, we'll never know his real intentions unless he shows up again.

Wifey packing? She is not quite there yet, but we've had conversations. Sometimes the dogs go with her, sometimes not. I'm hoping going forward it will be frequently or always.

Me. I started keeping a pistol with me over a year ago when out working on the property or cutting the lawns.

Over-reaction? Dunno, don't care. I've had enough conversations with my LE friends to know there is a serious unpredictability factor with the homeless. Drugs, mental health, or their own form of SHTF. I have zero desire to shoot anyone, but I'm not interested in having them on my private property in any way, or making them feel welcome such that they might want to return.

I was carrying a side arm when doing yard work for years even before I got my CPL since it was on my own property so it was perfectly legal.

I just don't think some random homeless guy (assuming) wandering around on your property is enough to get, literally, up-in-arms about.
Read the following and tell me if you 'don't think' this was enough to get, 'literally, up in arms about' Then take a good guess as to who the homeowner is.....

Last Edited:
One-offs are always going to happen, but what's the pattern? Is it REALLY an issue? Perhaps time/money better spent on other security solutions? A few dozen self-defense courses is cheaper than about any firearm, and the skill goes wherever you do.
Yea, maybe throw in a few dozen 'crisis intervention' courses to go along with it.

Your cost comparison of self defense courses to that of a firearm makes little to no sense as most dedicated gun owners already own firearms, and were probably NOT impulsive purchases by them debating 'security solutions' for a 'one off' encounter - like I suspect a lot of the 'new gun owners' probably are.

Last Edited:
Yea, maybe throw in a few dozen 'crisis intervention' courses to go along with it.

Your cost comparison of self defense courses to that of a firearm makes little to no sense as most dedicated gun owners already own firearms, and were NOT impulsive purchases by those debating 'security solutions' for a 'one off' encounter - like I suspect a lot of the 'new gun owners' probably are.

Well, crap. I'm going to stop wearing my seatbelt now.

I've had enough conversations with my LE friends to know there is a serious unpredictability factor with the homeless. Drugs, mental health, or their own form of SHTF.

It's my own opinion that strange people wandering around strange, private property areas are usually up to no good. For whatever reasons.

I've had enough conversations with my LE friends to know there is a serious unpredictability factor with the homeless. Drugs, mental health, or their own form of SHTF.
AND somehow in spite of their degraded mental state some have mastered the ability to draw the attention of those who are are a bit 'gullible' and 'play' on the sympathies those who will listen to them.

I have on occasion seen people who have granted audience to these types and are not strong enough to pull themselves away. I once intervened between an elderly man and a homeless wretch who was getting a little more 'aggressive' with him than I was comfortable with.

Read the following and tell me if you 'don't think' this was enough to get, 'literally, up in arms about' Then take a good guess as to who the homeowner is.....
Burglary is a very generous description. That's a home invasion and the moron is extremely lucky he didn't get shot.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top