JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We have a plan, a simple one due to our particular circumstance. Our son is long gone and since we keep each other awake (acute sleep apnea) my wife sleeps up stairs with a cell phone and her revolver. I sleep down stairs with a .40 autoloader and a 12ga riot gun. In the event of an unauthorized entry, Lilly will go off and confront the intruder. She is intimidating in the extreme! While this goes on I will be following her, listening carefully to what is going on with the dog, armed and flashlighted, set to strobe but turned off. The wife's job is to cover the stairway and if I slap the door on my way by to dial 911. I am also yelling "if you harm my dog you are a dead bubblegum". At this point I am crouched by her door at a L bend in a hallway, fortunately, my house is laid out so I can see nearly everywhere in the front of the house. How I proceed depends on the situation, I have lived in my home for 36yrs, I know it intimately. I absolutely do NOT want to shoot an intruder! I expect him to leave when faced with serious resistance, if he/they are crazy enough to advance, well, then the dance is really on.
Just some other thoughts. I will render first aid to a downed intruder, my wife (RN) doing the same with Lilly, if needed. If we are watching TV I have a handgun in reach, if I'm dressed I'm armed, and our doors are now heavily reinforced. We have modern windows with a 2" gap between panes, when one breaks it sounds like a 12ga going off. If I feel the need to check outside (not bloody likely) Lilly goes point! The fact that my spousel unit sleeps upstairs uncomplicates things enormously, and I'm never without a big fierce buddy!

The dog, not my wife!

Thanks, Boondock, and sorry that your wife is gone.

I have been working on her, and she seems more open to trying shooting again as the kids are getting older and into it. I have a Browning Buckmark that I think will win her over. It's just a matter of getting her back out there, but I'm working on it.

Hey Phillyfan, I have had a lot of success gently indoctrinating the lady's that the gun is a machine, "like your car but much less complicated." "You mastered that didn't you, Dear?" "It isnt going to do a thing that you don't want it to do and I am going to explain step by step with you!" Never failed to relax them! I really like introducing women to shooting, once fear is gone they are enthusiastic! They don't have bad habits and they seem steadier physically. Good luck to you both!

Boondocks, my deepest condolences for the loss of your wife. It seems like she was the true love of your life.

There are professional home invasion gangs; they use the same tactics that SWAT teams do, to include recon elements, masks and hoodies. Google now makes their job much easier. Some will even ram a car into a home to get inside.
If you live in an up-scale home you may only have seconds to react.
Home defense plans are nothing new, Kurt Saxon wrote about the topic and National Lampoon did a parody in the early 1970's

Thankfully, these groups are extremely rare, and unlikely to go after homes with low potential for a big payday.

There are professional home invasion gangs; they use the same tactics that SWAT teams do, to include recon elements, masks and hoodies. Google now makes their job much easier. Some will even ram a car into a home to get inside.
If you live in an up-scale home you may only have seconds to react.
Home defense plans are nothing new, Kurt Saxon wrote about the topic and National Lampoon did a parody in the early 1970's

This is the kind of stuff I worry about. It's why I have been reinforcing the doors in my home. I'm not worried about sophisticated gangs like erudne is posting about because our house isn't palatial, but I am getting prepared for drug addicts, etc doing a kick in the door and rob/kill the occupants! That type of stuff happens in inner NE PDX where I live. The punk who kicks my door is going to be limping for a long time because that door isn't going anywhere!

Reading back a few pages, I find no mention of dogs.

RBid mentioned it earlier...

3. Anything that says, "you will be caught" is a deterrent. Brighter lights outside than inside, alarm stickers, loud animals (dogs are great), minimal growth near points of entry, etc. All of these make you an inconvenient target, and reduce risk.

How does a heavily armed person let someone get close enough to set the place on fire ?

By throwing a maltov coctail on your roof...

Dogs ~are~ good... GEESE are too!!!

If you have ~ever~ been on a farm that had a pair, or more of gagglers, they just Do Not like strangers!!!! I have known several Farmers who had Geese, and all of them said, y'all have made friends with our Dogs... But Be Careful of our Geese!!!

And they Attack!!!! Yes, they will bite, and hard! No teeth, no breaking skin, drawing Blood, but the bruise states, I have been in a serious encounter, owie, owie...

Philip,
Who goes No Where near geese in the Boondocks..... :^)

Hahaha.... My exterior doors open outwards like commercial doors do... I'd love to see the look on the first tweeker's face that attempts a running superfly kick-in on my door (not realizing it opens out) and bounces 8' backwards.

Heh. There is this one store I go to.... I Pull, I Pull, I Pull, and then PUSH to get in the DOOR!!!! And I say the Same thing, each time: "I pulled on that door Five Times, and I still HAVE to push it to get in"!!!!

They laugh, each time.... Are they Sick, or iz it Me????

philip,

Who knows How to READ, he just forgets to, living in the Boondocks will change a dude like that!!!!

Heh. There is this one store I go to.... I Pull, I Pull, I Pull, and then PUSH to get in the DOOR!!!! And I say the Same thing, each time: "I pulled on that door Five Times, and I still HAVE to push it to get in"!!!!

They laugh, each time.... Are they Sick, or iz it Me????

philip,

Who knows How to READ, he just forgets to, living in the Boondocks will change a dude like that!!!!

LOL.... they are the sick onez!

BTW- I believe its National Fire Code that exit doors to a commercial business open outwards (with a push bar instead of a handle/knob) so people don't get trapped between the door and a panicing crowd pressing against the door to get out in case of a fire.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top