JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When it was just my wife and I, the plan was for her to go to the bedroom bathroom with the phone and dial 911. I would get the gun and stay at the bedroom door. I travel a lot for work so the plan, if I was not there, was to grab the gun safe and the phone, lock herself into the bedroom bathroom, get the gun out and ready, and dial 911. I told her that the things in the house could be replaced, but she couldn't. Her instructions were to wait there until help arrived. If someone tried to get into the bathroom she was to yell that she had a gun. If they tried to get in after that put three rounds through the door. If they kept coming empty the mag once she saw them. There is 20 rounds in the gun.

Now that we have kids the plan is for her to be a little more offensive though the phone is still involved. Her responsibility it to protect the one hallway leading to all of our bedrooms. I told her that if she sees someone trying to come down pull the trigger a couple times. They keep coming, empty it. She is a horrible shot, but I guarentee that with all those rounds somebody is losing a couple of toes!

Phillyfan, good PLAN!!!

The first part, is having the equipment, the second part, developing the PLAN!!!

You say she is not a good shot, does she, will she Practice? And when she practices, use lower power rounds, so she can be proficient in aquiring Target!

The many decades ago, that I taught my Wife (RIP), i started with CB "shorts" in my 22 Ruger Single Six. I desired Noise control for her, but she SAW something else, as well... On the Second Cylinder... She was Seeing the Orange (copper) projectiles going down Range! "I can see the Bullets" !!!!!

Her accuracy improved, and her gunmanship went from those CB Shorts, to Long Rifles, to 22Magnums, then to 38 squib loads, all the way up to my 175 grain Keith Style Semi-Wad Cutters that I made on my first reloading bench...

Hope that Helps...
philip...
I don't have that Single Six anymore... But I would give a housand of them...

For one more day, with my Wife....

Thanks, Boondock, and sorry that your wife is gone.

I have been working on her, and she seems more open to trying shooting again as the kids are getting older and into it. I have a Browning Buckmark that I think will win her over. It's just a matter of getting her back out there, but I'm working on it.

Wishing you the best.

Phillyfan, If what you have is that Browning Buckmark by all means use it.

The reason I suggest a Single Action Revolver is simplicity. You MUST pull the hammer back, a concious move, then, that trigger is set, often with a nicer & shorter pull than a Semi-Auto. Your eyes, a direct conduit to your brain, Watches THAT hammer fall, so you are more prepared for the primer to pop. This, IMHO, is a help in not flinching...

Later skills of handling a semi auto can be dealt with.

I have taught 7 year old GIRLS to shoot, long guns, starting with break oen 22LR !!! Again, that Hammer is a GREAT teaching tool !!! FYI, at the End of that day, (all with parents watching, & their permission...) that same young girl had mastered my Single action 22LR, and sucessfully executed the handeling of my Kel-Tec P-32, complete to Mag dropping and new magazine reloading..to resume Fire.

But our Deacons Wife was the funnest of all... I think she personally shot four fifty round boxes through that little 32 ACP! ... I had to ~tease her~ to give it back to the "correct wner"

Her husband and she BOTH wanted to pay for the ammo... But my Love of training her to shoot outweighed that money spent... For she had not only Never SHOT a gun before, But WAS an avid Anti-Gun person... Till she met me ;^)

Semi's are for Defense, but teaching Woman hand gunning, requires a special touch.

I have seen Bozo's hand their spouse a 44Magnum, and snicker at the result, AND THEN WONDER. Why their Mrs. Did not enjoy shooting with hubby ;^) Dumb hubby, no affection that night !!!

philip

There is a way, to do all things correctly... Even living in the Boondocks takes wading in the marshes, at times.

Semi's are for Defense, but teaching Woman hand gunning, requires a special touch.

I think you're confusing timidness for gender. There are many women out there who don't require a "special touch" any more than guys do. Neither my girlfriend (then 25) or her mother (then 65) required any more hand holding than guys. Contrary to what a lot of guys seem to want to believe, women are not helpless or weak creatures.

My lady often says that she appreciates that I am so protective of her and our girls. Despite that, I understand that she doesn't need me to be. She's a nurse, and I've seen first hand how she operates under stress. The transformation from gentle to, "if you're not with the program, get the bubblegum out of my way!" is staggering.

Some good replies here, I really like Riot, in Post #41, Plan(s)

I recently changed home owners insurance, they asked if I had Fire Extinguishers !!! i said yes, I don't PLAN on having a Fire, But I Plan on putting one OUT if one occurs! I keep a pair of Safety Glasses by my Dremel station. I don't PLAN on having a bronze wire brush come apart at 8,000 RPM, but I plan to keep my eyes safe!

I have a battery powered respirator/dust mask at my sanding station, I know what TOXIC Woods do to lungs, but I don't PLAN to have any in my lungs!

And Back up Plans for the PLANS ! ! !

No one KNOWS, What the Shadow knows... A line from Old Tyme Radio, that I used to listen to as a Kid, on a 7 tube Hallicrafters SW Radio.... We did not have Surge Protectors back then... But we do Now!

"The Shadow" was of course a mystery theater, of the Mind, for it was Radio, Don' Cha Know, Like Lars Larson said, when he left TV "I have a face, MADE for RADIO" !!!! Imagination is required in Mystery !!!!

Now, I add the above, for a reason, my House, is a Mystery... To all, but me!!!!

That's a Plan !!!

philip

Ha Ha Philip! I still have a Hallicrafters tube sw/sb radio around here someplace, probably stuck up in the eaves with 90% of all my other "keepsakes". Worked last time I had it out a few years ago.

I got you beat on living in the boondocks though. I can tell people where I live, and even how to get here, but they still can't find our place...:)

RBid, and I could not agree with you more!

However, of the number of woman and children I have taught, only One has fit your description of GF, and her Mother. I start Everyone person I teach, with the same aspects, not from Gender, but from experiance, which dictates Removing Myths about Guns, while AT THE SAME TIME, showing full Potential, of their capabilities.

My grand Son Mother still has not let me teach him, but I did get to take With me shooting. The first target was a Papaya, and the 45 ACP did exactly what I wanted: it left a nice round hole, in the Front, and completely decimated the rear section, GONE. EXPLODED. Scattered over a fifteen foot radius.

Effectivly stating, without words, what will happen to targets that are not paper. I also like cheap, generic Soda unopened.

My reference above, was specific to a point raised earlier, a woman who could not hit POA, and, hoping to correct that, from prior knowledge in teaching hand gun use.

I have worked side by side with woman, of all varieties, let us leave that to imagination, while I finish that. I treat them all, the same, if they handle their part of the job, I handle mine.

In a past Ministry, I helped build a Homeless Shelter, and Other Items. A Mixed Crew, from Contractors, to both Men & Women, who had Never Used A Hammer. My job was to assist in taking a team of woman, and instructing them to build an 8X8X8 storage unit.

Three units were built, one by a two man professional crew. Another men, mixed bag, from no skill to one full on skilled man. AND MY TEAM.

End of day, all three were Finished, at just about the same time.

All built to quality Standatds.

Every Woman on my crew used and did ALL PORTIONS of building, including worm drive saw, sawz all, Makita 9.6VDC drill.

Only ONE WOMAN, had held a hammer & used it prior to the event, which was Entirely a Teaching Skills Event, while producing 3 NEEDED STORAGE UNITS, for a Non-Profit ORG, that gave Free Furniture to Fire victims, while also providing Same for newly formed Foster Children Families, who took on children that had been victimized by druggie parents, etc.

Again, I think your Point is valid, I however, have Spent a Life WORKING to certain Woman, to overcome, their Domestic Violence Issues. And ALL of them have thanked me, for First, not Harming their dignity. Just for the Record, having raised Two daughters since my (Young) wife's Death, my youngest, took her history of Dad's Ministry, and is a MASTERS, Social Work, helping the Same sort of (mixed gender) teenagers, from abusive homes!!!

I think that speaks volumes for my approach... And I could give further examples, from the late Sixties, at the ~Start~ of the Sexual "Womans Rigts" movement...

Hope that clarifies the issue....

philip
serving Jesus Christ, one person at a time, liviving in the Boondocks for now though, Sabatical Time is needed....

RBid, I might add, that my wife, while healthy helped me build our Two Story Log house, on Twenty acres.

A neighbor came by to visit, and tried to tell my wife, "How to do Her job" better... A real sexist he was...

My wife said "this works for me" If You Want it doneTHAT Way, YOU DO IT, I have other jobs to do"!!!!

philip

In my experience, the block most women seem to have handling firearms is a false block. After discussing safety with them extensively, I show them how to clear a weapon, and hand them an empty handgun, with an empty mag well.

All it takes at that point is to say, "rack the slide like this, and don't worry about breaking it. It's supposed to slam shut. It does that every time you pull the trigger. Rip the slide back, and when you feel the wall, let go of the slide and follow through so you punch your shoulder."

Time after time after time, ladies who I was told "couldn't" rack a slide are suddenly doing it with ease.

After that, it's a cake walk.

Panther, you probably figured this out, but that man in bed was Not A Friend.

Nor, was she a Good Wife... Hope you figured that all out...

RBid, point taken, great teaching skill technique... When I taught my wife, all i had were Revolvers... Her purse pistol was our first Self Loader, she loved it !!!

Phlip

I saw a movie the other day where a heavily armed guy was holed up in a house.
The bad guys only needed 5 gallons of gas to set the house on fire, and sure enough, out he comes.
Didn't work out to well for the guy in the end.

Just like Njal's Saga -- the way to take out the tough stubborn enemy is to surround his house and set fire to it. I guess not much has changed in the last 1200 years ;)

Last Edited:
My home defense plan is easy. My house only has a garage and two entrances/exits which all lead to the same very narrow main hallway. All my family and i have to do is point the 590a1 down the hall and wait while dialing 911 :D. The K.I.S.S. method

id love to see some professional advice if anyone has seen a good source. in my home there has been no conversation other than take cover while i warn an intruder before opening fire. not really one to just shoot on sight if i can get away with not killing someone.

id love to see some professional advice if anyone has seen a good source. in my home there has been no conversation other than take cover while i warn an intruder before opening fire. not really one to just shoot on sight if i can get away with not killing someone.

Professionals will tell you these types of things:

1. The VAST majority of home invasions are committed by unsophisticated opportunists looking for quick & easy scores.

2. In all home invasions, TIME is important. Time between becoming aware of a problem and contact is critical.

3. Anything that says, "you will be caught" is a deterrent. Brighter lights outside than inside, alarm stickers, loud animals (dogs are great), minimal growth near points of entry, etc. All of these make you an inconvenient target, and reduce risk.

4. Digging in and defending a room is the best option, unless you MUST attend to family in other rooms.

5. Call 9-1-1 immediately

There are professional home invasion gangs; they use the same tactics that SWAT teams do, to include recon elements, masks and hoodies. Google now makes their job much easier. Some will even ram a car into a home to get inside.
If you live in an up-scale home you may only have seconds to react.
Home defense plans are nothing new, Kurt Saxon wrote about the topic and National Lampoon did a parody in the early 1970's

Reading back a few pages, I find no mention of dogs. We have two dogs, one a Aussie, pit bull mix and a lab shepard mix. The Aussie can be very territorial and and will take stuff from no one. Very loyal, if he knows and likes you, you are good. If he does not know you, or you exhibit behaviors contrary to what normally goes on in our family pack, he is going to watch you like a hawk. Make a wrong or offensive move towards any member of the family pack, and he is coming after you. The lab / shepard is confused about her breed role at times, but has a bark that will make anyone think twice about going farther.

They alert to anything out of the daily norm. Any attempted unauthorized or forcible entry is going to be met my these 2, and possibly another female German Shepard, our grand dog. They simply would not allow such entry. They sleep in the house at night, in our bedroom or on living room floor. If the grand kids are here, they seem to step up such alertness a notch or two as well.

I have sensor alarms around my property, so any approach is going to set up a chime in the house. That is sufficient to get the dog pack up and alerting day or night.

If they alert and respond, I am up, with my LED small powerful light and a 9mm in one scoop off my nightstand, couch stand and a simple 911 call out will get my wife on the phone. Some one wants to get past that crew of dogs, be my guest, and hopefully you like stitches because you are probably going to need them. I love my dogs, but they have a role in our life as well,and they serve it well.

They are usually with me outside, and just as on guard then as well. If I am breathing, I am carrying, so even working in the fields I am prepared. Dogs may not be for everyone, but they serve a huge role in our life in many ways.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top