JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't need to carry a weapon, I am a 3rd degree brown belt in American Kempo. I choose to carry a weapon, because I don't believe in a fair fight. .

OK - here's the worst case scenario - your wake up noise is someone in the bedroom, maybe at ECQ distance. As a practitioner, what do you suggest?

There is 0% chance that anyone could get into my bedroom and surprise me. But for arguments sake, I would remain still until the bonehead is within arms reach...I'm 6'8" and 285 pounds, so that is further away than most people realize. Once close enough, I would grab hold, dump them on the ground and use my superior size to keep them under control while being disarmed (though most are not armed in the first place)Or while I reach over and grab my own weapon (which is still within my arms reach because of the size of my room) while having my wife go and call 911.

It is not likely that I would have to use deadly force in any situation, but I would execute a citizens arrest and continue to detain the moron, with physical force until the police come to remove them.

My home is set up so that anyone trying to come in in any other manner than the keyed front door, will cause massive amounts of noise, giving me ample time to prepare with the appropriate countermeasures.

Nope, just not afraid of anything. If you don't fear anything, then no one can ever really control you.

The question in the OP was if you had a plan in place. I do, I've gone over all possible scenarios and outcomes and planned accordingly.

You decided to come and tell us that we are all frightened and that is why we carry guns, and I disagree. Someone else asked what I would do in a particular situation, so I responded. It's not bragging, nor is it bravado. I know what I am capable of, and how thoroughly I have trained throughout my life to ensure my survival in the worst of situations in the most miserable places in this world, and this is simply my bedroom.

I don't understand why people have to come in this forum and poke fun, or harass and ridicule people all the time. I understand that we all don't think alike, and there are bound to be disagreements, but come on. There are plenty of people, that when I read their posts, it makes me angry. But I try to remain calm, and not resort to name calling or ridicule. I have not always been successful, but I never instigate this crap.

If the reason you carry a gun is out of fear, cool, that's your deal. We all have our reasons we do what we do.

My woman and I have a plan, kill everything that moves.
We'll be the most aggressive vicious SOBs you can possibly imagine, if sleeping itll take them quite a bit of effort to get to our room let alone through the door. If they enter while we're awake.. God help them. She and I jump up at almost every creek and crack that would seemingly be out of place compared to the norm.
Always armed (I am100% and she 80%) while awake have no doubt that we could take on any intruder. Also.. It helps to have a somewhat messy house. I keep my pest control gear by the back door.. Unless you knew it was there its one hell of an obstical (even more so in the dark) this leaves the would be intruder(s) one entry point; the front door or the front window.. Both are down our sights and itd be a total suicide mission.

If asleep..Ultimatly, she'll stay in the room with 911 (if possible) on the speaker phone with her primary/ secondary at the ready, aimed right for the door.

She and I have a call sign much like the "Thunder-Flash" call sign in "saving private ryan".. A sillily reference but never the less, effective.
Anyone going in that room without the right (and well practiced) call sign is going to die.

We have confidence in our knowledge of our home layout and that they wouldnt. If they are somehow able to navigate the labyrinth we are sure that all non welcomed guest will either be hauled off in cuffs or a body bag.

Nope, just not afraid of anything. If you don't fear anything, then no one can ever really control you.

The question in the OP was if you had a plan in place. I do, I've gone over all possible scenarios and outcomes and planned accordingly.

You decided to come and tell us that we are all frightened and that is why we carry guns, and I disagree. Someone else asked what I would do in a particular situation, so I responded. It's not bragging, nor is it bravado. I know what I am capable of, and how thoroughly I have trained throughout my life to ensure my survival in the worst of situations in the most miserable places in this world, and this is simply my bedroom.

I don't understand why people have to come in this forum and poke fun, or harass and ridicule people all the time. I understand that we all don't think alike, and there are bound to be disagreements, but come on. There are plenty of people, that when I read their posts, it makes me angry. But I try to remain calm, and not resort to name calling or ridicule. I have not always been successful, but I never instigate this crap.

If the reason you carry a gun is out of fear, cool, that's your deal. We all have our reasons we do what we do.

I saw a movie the other day where a heavily armed guy was holed up in a house.
The bad guys only needed 5 gallons of gas to set the house on fire, and sure enough, out he comes.
Didn't work out to well for the guy in the end.

Ahh, a fellow giant. Greetings sir.

There are a few of us out there...

I saw a movie the other day where a heavily armed guy was holed up in a house.
The bad guys only needed 5 gallons of gas to set the house on fire, and sure enough, out he comes.
Didn't work out to well for the guy in the end.

Right, but in the case of my scenario, it is far more likely that it would be one of the slimebags that live in the same complex...So lighting it on fire would burn down their own house...

There is 0% chance that anyone could get into my bedroom and surprise me. But for arguments sake, I would remain still until the bonehead is within arms reach...I'm 6'8" and 285 pounds, so that is further away than most people realize. Once close enough, I would grab hold, dump them on the ground and use my superior size to keep them under control while being disarmed (though most are not armed in the first place)Or while I reach over and grab my own weapon (which is still within my arms reach because of the size of my room) while having my wife go and call 911.

It is not likely that I would have to use deadly force in any situation, but I would execute a citizens arrest and continue to detain the moron, with physical force until the police come to remove them.

My home is set up so that anyone trying to come in in any other manner than the keyed front door, will cause massive amounts of noise, giving me ample time to prepare with the appropriate countermeasures.

Thanks for your reply. I understand that this is theoretical. My question is, do you have a 'default' move if you wake up with someone wailing on you? I practice several of those from standing or on my back. What about in bed? Or are you just done for if you lose initiative that bad?

Noooooo,

If for some inexplicable reason I was awoken by being struck repeatedly, I will do everything in my power to get a hold of that person. Once I've got my hands on someone or what ever they're wielding, it's over for them. No real default move though...I guess I've just done it so long that it's automatic. I find the advantage and exploit it.

I had a combatives instructor once, watching a group of soldiers trying to get out of my grip, and they kept failing. They asked him to show them and I told him to go for it. I grabbed hold and that was it...he was done. I held on to him for a round 5 minutes before I whispered at him that I was going to let him go, and did. He got up and while dusting himself off said, "well, that's just a big, strong dude. And you just have to keep trying."

That's cool. Unlike you, I haven't been doing this too long so I have to practice everything 'for the complete idiot'.

3000 repetitions is the number I have heard, time and time again, that it takes to commit something to muscle memory.

Everyone has got to start somewhere and I applaud anyone who takes it upon themselves to do so.

3000 repetitions is the number I have heard, time and time again, that it takes to commit something to muscle memory.

Everyone has got to start somewhere and I applaud anyone who takes it upon themselves to do so.

I'm guessing i'm about a third of the way there on some of the simpler ones. Thanks for the advice.

People should have a simple basic plan, same as if the fire alarm goes off. Being prepared is not being affraid. 1 in a million chance, not even close, happens more often than most would think. I myself have an alarm system, which has 2 arming options, also when it's not set every door and window has a sensor that lets you know if opened. If someone was to kick my door in I most likely wouldn't shoot, being I have children and their rooms are opposite of mine. I do have melee weapons next to my bed, I do have quick access to a gun (cocked and locked) and also bright flashlights on the ready. Having a plan is just well, basic.

Our plan is to go to our safe room upstairs where we have a cell phone, a landline, a Mossberg 500 and enough ammo to keep firing for a long time.

Bad people have to make it up the narrow stairway past the Mossy.

At night, dog goes bonkers and wakes us, we barricade and call 911. If I think I have time I may make sure the wife is in the safe room, take the top of the stairs and fire on any critters taller than our dog coming up the stairway.

Here's the deal. You try to come into my house in the middle of the night, you will be shot and I will sleep well.
I will not be afraid of you, but you better be afraid of me because I will defend my home and family like no other you have encountered. Do not think I live in fear. I do not, but I will fight for what's mine.

Jammer Six, we've been on opposite sides of the fence before, but I believe we are on the same side on this one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top