JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How many of you have sat down with your wife/family and developed an actual plan for a home intrusion? Does each member know what to do if a break-in occurs in the middle of the night? Where do you keep your defensive weapon when you go to bed? Do you have a security system? If so what are the plans until help arrives...turn on lights/use high intensity light on your weapon/laser?

We, my wife and I, live alone in a somewhat isolated location, last house at the end of a private road, heavy tree cover. House layout has our master bedroom at a dead end of the house. We have a security system with doors alarmed at night. Had a big dog that was very good at alerting us to even unusual noises outside but we recently lost him. Our other little dog would sleep through a hurricane!

I keep a Mossberg 500 short barrel 12 gauge next to my night stand and a semi-auto in the night stand drawer and have the ability to send an alarm to the sheriff from bedside. My wife is partially disabled so our plan is for her her to either get on the floor next to the bed opposite from the bedroom door or retreat into the master bath...she cannot move quickly...while I address the situation. We are both in our early 70s and I am reasonably fit and shoot at my range weekly.

Was just wondering how you folks have sat down and developed a "plan" with your wives and or family and what all circumstances you have considered.
Also, please feel free to constructively criticize the plan I have outlined for ourselves.

Pegleg
U.S. Navy Retired

My wife and kids would sleep through a jumbo jet crashing next door, and even IF they (the kids) were to wake up they've been taught to sound off but not to get out of bed if they hear something "odd", so I'm not terribly worried about fratracide. Case in point, one night after a recent alarm system upgrade a window sensor glitched in the middle of the night and annunciated "North Window Opened"... the kid (almost 16 now) closest to the alarm panel happened to be awake watching TV in his room "freaked" but stayed in bed hollering for me. Unbeknownst to him I was already stalking through the house (armed) clearing rooms and checking windows.

Outside we have a wicked-mean Lab who attacks everything that ventures into the yard (day or night), and barks viciously periodicaly through the night. I've learned to "read" his bark and know when its "serious" or just a critter flirtin' with a terrible death, so I was about 70% sure it was an alarm system glitch as he didn't go off his gord barking, but 30% reserved as a hotdog or other means to silence a dog, plus some people can be uber-quiet/sneaky as a posibility.

It was gratifying to see the kid "stick to the plan", because it was a true live-fire exercise that night. ;)

My wife and kids would sleep through a jumbo jet crashing next door, and even IF they (the kids) were to wake up they've been taught to sound off but not to get out of bed if they hear something "odd", so I'm not terribly worried about fratracide. Case in point, one night after a recent alarm system upgrade a window sensor glitched in the middle of the night and annunciated "North Window Opened"... the kid (almost 16 now) closest to the alarm panel happened to be awake watching TV in his room "freaked" but stayed in bed hollering for me. Unbeknownst to him I was already stalking through the house (armed) clearing rooms and checking windows.

Outside we have a wicked-mean Lab who attacks everything that ventures into the yard (day or night), and barks viciously periodicaly through the night. I've learned to "read" his bark and know when its "serious" or just a critter flirtin' with a terrible death, so I was about 70% sure it was an alarm system glitch as he didn't go off his gord barking, but 30% reserved as a hotdog or other means to silence a dog, plus some people can be uber-quiet/sneaky as a posibility.

It was gratifying to see the kid "stick to the plan", because it was a true live-fire exercise that night. ;)

Thanks for your reply. I'm interested in how you go about clearing the house...do you have a light on your weapon? Do you turn all the house lights on as you proceed through the house? Do you announce yourself? Just curious.

You be afraid. I'd rather watch TV.

Jammer.... Armed or not, "being afraid" is the LAST thing I would be accused of by those who know me.

Can't the administrator revoke this guy's access?

Thanks for your reply. I'm interested in how you go about clearing the house...do you have a light on your weapon? Do you turn all the house lights on as you proceed through the house? Do you announce yourself? Just curious.

You call for my access to be revoked for a jockular comment, then later thank me for my response? Hmmmm....

I don't need a light, I know where every piece of furniture and "kick-knack" is, and all likely avenues of approach. I go "slow and low" and LISTEN, I don't sillouette myself, I clear around corners and sweep the entire room and tend to check the perimeter for broken/jimmied windows, and I always have my weapon pointed where I'm looking.

Since I now have an upraded security system that enunciates what window or door has been opened, its only more tactically efficient for me now. The only planned announcement of my presence is pulling the bang switch... if you're unlawfully in my house and I catch you, the only way out is feet first in a ziplock bag.

Jammer.... Armed or not, "being afraid" is the LAST thing I would be accused of by those who know me.

You call for my access to be revoked for a jockular comment, then later thank me for my response? Hmmmm....

I don't need a light, I know where every piece of furniture and "kick-knack" is, and all likely avenues of approach. I go "slow and low" and LISTEN, I don't sillouette myself, I clear around corners and sweep the entire room and tend to check the perimeter for broken/jimmied windows, and I always have my weapon pointed where I'm looking.

Since I now have an upraded security system that enunciates what window or door has been opened, its only more tactically efficient for me now. The only planned announcement of my presence is pulling the bang switch... if you're unlawfully in my house and I catch you, the only way out is feet first in a ziplock bag.

Stomper, I apologize if the order of my post was confusing or misinterpreted! I was referring to "Jammer Six" or whatever his username is. I appreciate everything you offered. Guess I'm still getting the hang of how to reply or quote. Certainly meant no offense to you.

I am temporarily in a horrid little apartment complex in Tigard...It is almost 900sqft, so very tiny. Being a complex it is brightly lit outside, enough so that if one was to break in, they would have to adjust to the darkness of the apartment, but enough light comes in that I can move through the house and see everything.

I have dowels in the windows that can be accessed by a person, that only allow them to be opened about 10 inches, I sleep with them open. To come through it would take a lot of noise, and I wake up if a car drives by outside. I sleep with a loaded .45 and black rifle, both within arms reach, as well as a FirstLight Tomahawk, which is blindingly bright. No worries at my house, other than for the idiot that would try to come in uninvited.

We also live in a rural, remote area. Not totally free of problems (there is the occasional burglary in Okanogan Co.) but relatively safe enough I don't even lock up at night. We have a 4 legged doorbell (Dachshund) that will let me know if anyone enters the yard. (we are well back (1/4 mile) from the county road).

My response is, strap up, and OC one of several pistols, and go out to investigate who is in the yard. Should anyone actually make it into the house undetected (highly unlikely) I have an old Colt 38 revolver that I have owned for 45 years, and am intimately familiar with, that I would respond with. In all the years we have lived in WA (since 1970) this type of response has not been necessary.

You be afraid. I'd rather watch TV.

I love this kind of reply, for multiple reasons.

1. It took us (my family and I) all of 5 minutes to talk over our plan, and about 30 seconds every few days to quiz/reinforce. It's not rocket science. Planning is about as complicated as passing the corn at the dinner table.

2. The exact same logic is used by anti-gunners. "I couldn't live in fear like that" in reference to gun owners.

3. I can't speak for everybody, but I'm certainly not living in fear. We made a plan because bubblegum happens. Same reason we have first aid kits, fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, and firearms. Yes, I even use seat belts in the car. I also sleep well at night, and live a cheerful life.

Yup, I own and am well trained in the use of firearms and my own arms...I haven't been afraid of anything for a very, very long time. And I still watch TV. Just don't kick in my door while I'm doing so.

I think the idea of having a plan and practicing it is very important for a sucessful implementation and also minimizing later leagal implications. For example, all of my family's bedrooms are upstairs. I keep two firearms in a small bedroom safe with a can of mace.

On hearing a window breaking or loud noise, the plan is to barricade, call the cops and guard the stairwell coming up. First warning, followed by a cone of mace down the stairs (fans and andedote wipes in the bedroom). If intruder is still coming up the stairs and posing a threat is then dealt with with appropriate verbal warnings and force.

If there is a undetermined sound in the middle of the night, judgement call. Call the cops or not? If not, clear the house yourself. One pistol for partner upstairs, second pistol with light to clear the house. Damn cat knocking stuff over.

By working this stuff out in advance, you have the abilty to set up your unlock codes for action. Ask yourself if your plan addresses practical scenarios and the requirments of the law. If you do ever have to go to court, and you can show that you set up provisions for non-leathal force first and are not hell bent on dropping someone.

my 2 cents

I don't need to carry a weapon, I am a 3rd degree brown belt in American Kempo. I choose to carry a weapon, because I don't believe in a fair fight. I've turned around and walked away laughing at a gangbanger with a pistol pointed at my face. I don't fear a damned thing.

Common sense tells me, that if I wear a seatbelt, I am more likely to survive when some moron who has had too much to drink, runs into my car. But again that's proven science, not fear.

The reason law enforcement and military carry weapons are power, control, and domination through fear. I know this, because that is how we control the goat herders in other countries who are trying to kill us.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top