JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good topic!

Plans are always great, but they need to be practiced and not just thought/discussed. Families should always prepare for emergencies and be led not out of fear or paranoia, but from prudence. Being pro-active for emergencies (rather than reactive) can mean the difference between life and death.

Now many of this goes beyond just having a gun by the bed and knowing how to clear your house, but many things get overlooked in this manner.

*Where is the nearest phone? Calling the police should be one of the top priorities and you should have a phone next to the bed. I suggest a cell phone on SILENT if you prefer not to be wakened every week by a telemarketer. My wife knows that this is her responsibility while I am securing the firearm and ensuring the bad guy(s) haven't entered the house. The main thing about calling 9-1-1 is to catch the bad guy after he realizes you have a gun and chooses to flee the scene. This may also cover your butt later on because these calls are time stamped and recorded.

*Where is your flashlight? A light needs to be with/on the gun you choose to defend the home with. Period. You should also check to make sure it works and change the batteries periodically.

*Carry the appropriate caliber/bullet for your home. Bullets go through walls. If you live in a trailer park, have thin walls throughout your home with occupied adjacent rooms or live in a multi-level apartment complex you should be cognizant of your home defense weapon. Using FMJ rounds in an SKS may work out on a farm where your nearest neighbor is a few miles away, but you may want to carry frangible rounds in that .44mag you have by your bedside in that double-wide.

*Use fatal funnels to your advantage. You should make those hallways, doorways, stairways and windows work for you. Hear a crash downstairs but all the beds are upstairs? Pulling up a defensive position on the stairwell with a 12 gauge while you wait for the police is as sound of a tactic as they come. Remember, it is always easier to defend than attack.

*Know your vulnerabilities. Having several locks on the front door but a sliding glass window for a back door is a moot point; however, many people have glass windows adjacent to their oak doors that can easily be bypassed with a rock and a gloved hand.

breaking_in_1366773c.jpg

*Have the appropriate weapon for the design of your home. Many people, including myself, suggest having a 12 gauge shotgun for home defense; however, this may not be the right choice for you. If you plan on searching through your home for an intruder, opening doors or traversing stairwells then a shotgun may not be for you. Pistols, in these circumstances, may be more preferred because of the possibility of being disarmed (bad guy grabs the barrel) or it may give your position away (bad guy sees the weapon before you see him).

Lastly, don't be discouraged by nay-sayers. Always ask "what if (blank) happens?" and think like a criminal would to stay ahead of the game. You're risking a lot of you loose this game, and stuff like this usually costs nothing!

breaking_in_1366773c.jpg

I don't need to carry a weapon, I am a 3rd degree brown belt in American Kempo. I choose to carry a weapon, because I don't believe in a fair fight. I've turned around and walked away laughing at a gangbanger with a pistol pointed at my face. I don't fear a damned thing.

Common sense tells me, that if I wear a seatbelt, I am more likely to survive when some moron who has had too much to drink, runs into my car. But again that's proven science, not fear.

The reason law enforcement and military carry weapons are power, control, and domination through fear. I know this, because that is how we control the goat herders in other countries who are trying to kill us.

I have a plan for when I am home and the wife has a plan for when I am not. Being a Correction Officer and a class 3 gun dealer a plan or 2 is a good idea

Virginia educator " A pencil is a weapon when it is pointed at another person and gun noises are made"

I think that's pretty much SOP for anyone. And every plan is just a bit different, because we and our homes and families are all a bit different. We do the best with what we have and make it work with what we've got. Survival, and protecting our families are the most important things, bar none.

When we lived in Virginia i was at work and my wife was home sick. She was highly trained in hand guns and basic self defense. During that morning a man broke in, at that time, my wife was in the bedroom, she retreated to our closet but with all the stress and panic, she never grabbed one of 4 guns that where available to her, the guy kicked in the door and brandished a knife, heard here on the phone with 911 and then he retreated. I was very upset that she did not lay the dude out with the 1911 that was within 2 feet of her position, but I do know it does not matter about training, it's all about mindset. I went to battle with people who froze up and had the exact training as a lot of us had, taking ones life is a very surreal event. Very few can do it, and some don't do we'll after they do. A good plan is great to have for the basics, but those are usually scenario driven. My home sucks for a self defense plan.

It's great to have plans for when you are in bed, when you are up and about, plans for your children/spouse. know the entry and funnel points and to know what to say when you dial 911. Just keep in mind that nothing ever goes to plan.

Post #10: "...The only planned announcement of my presence is pulling the bang switch... if you're unlawfully in my house and I catch you, the only way out is feet first in a ziplock bag. "
This is the kind of post that could come back to bite you if the worst happens and you do shoot somebody. The Persecuting Shyster can use this to indicate that you just can't wait to shoot somebody. You may be legally justified, but there is no reason to complicate your situation by appearing to be eager to use deadly force. I am ready to use whatever level of force is necessary to keep my home and its occupants from harm, but if the goblin decides to exit the scene I'm not going to shoot him on the way out. Not a flame - just sayin'.

Some good replies here, I really like Riot, in Post #41, Plan(s)

I recently changed home owners insurance, they asked if I had Fire Extinguishers !!! i said yes, I don't PLAN on having a Fire, But I Plan on putting one OUT if one occurs! I keep a pair of Safety Glasses by my Dremel station. I don't PLAN on having a bronze wire brush come apart at 8,000 RPM, but I plan to keep my eyes safe!

I have a battery powered respirator/dust mask at my sanding station, I know what TOXIC Woods do to lungs, but I don't PLAN to have any in my lungs!

And Back up Plans for the PLANS ! ! !

No one KNOWS, What the Shadow knows... A line from Old Tyme Radio, that I used to listen to as a Kid, on a 7 tube Hallicrafters SW Radio.... We did not have Surge Protectors back then... But we do Now!

"The Shadow" was of course a mystery theater, of the Mind, for it was Radio, Don' Cha Know, Like Lars Larson said, when he left TV "I have a face, MADE for RADIO" !!!! Imagination is required in Mystery !!!!

Now, I add the above, for a reason, my House, is a Mystery... To all, but me!!!!

That's a Plan !!!

philip

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top