JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd pick a military duty steel-framed pistol, chambered in a common caliber - 9mm or .45ACP. Something that will withstand being knocked around and prolong exposure to the element. It had to function well with minimum care and lube and can be easily and quickly cleaned and reassembled. With that being said, I really can't argue against OP's SIG P226. I have a P229 and P6 myself. SIG builds extraordinary pistols

The stainless .357s always dominate these "If you could have just one" threads, and if my choice was a .357 it would be a S&W 686+ with 4" barrel.

But, since my choice isn't a .357, I would take a Glock 20 if I had one. Of the guns I currently own, the Glock 29.

ill play if i could only have one it would be a my old glock 29 its great for the woods or the street can use the longer barrel for the woods and can use g 20 mags as well glad i dont have to only have one though

Why own Just one, when there are so many great options....

Sigs.jpg

But to answer the question I would say my Sig 220..... Love that shooter.....

I thought I'd played in this thread before, but I guess not!
I have owned several high quality 1911s over the years (all in .45) and have only kept 2, ok maybe 3! (I gave the wife one of them) I love the 1911 platform, shoot it very well and if I am only dealing with dogs & cats (both big and small) or people, I'd be very comfortable choosing my CBOB. I've often carried it as backup when hunting and it's my "go to" carry gun when I can wear more than a t-shirt and shorts to conceal it. Night sites, quick reloald and confidence in my gun make this a good choice.
I have an old Ruger Blackhawk .41 Mag with a 6 1/2" barrel. I've owned, handloaded for and shot this gun for almost 15 years. It's an old, trusted friend. When afield after filling an elk tag, especially in cougar country, it's what I carry. I have no doubts that I could go hunting about anything on this continent with it. 210gr XTPs at 1350 sighted dead on at 50 yards makes me comfortable.
I could live my life in a remote location with either of these guns and be good with it...
However...
Last December I bought a 4" 686+ (7 shot) S&W. I've never been a huge .357 fan, but I think I now know what all of the .357 fan-boys have been raving about for almost 80 years. I shoot this gun in double action almost as well as I can shoot either of the other 2 in single action. (not really, but much better that I should!) I like a 158gr bullet, preferably Hornady XTP, over a max load of Blue Dot.
This would be the gun I choose.

I do only own one handgun: A Sig P220 Carry SAO. At one point I owned over 30 handguns. After being laid off and having to sell everything off, I kept this one since it offered me the best combination of concealability, accuracy and reliability.

I like my 4th Gen, no issues, two FTF but that was because my girl was limp wristing. Other than that it runs like a champ, no problems with the extractor or erratic shell casings, and the rough textured frame is awesome. To answer the question, I'd also take my 4th Gen G19. I can CC it all day, can take 33rd, 17rd and 15rd mags, easy to clean and field strip, runs like a champ.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top