JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A friend recently asked me if I was stranded in a remote area for the rest of my life & could chose only one handgun which would I choose? I should add that I have a fairly large collection of firearms.

Without hesitation I said my Sig Sauer P226 in 9mm. It always works, it's built like a tank, & with my 18 round magazines I can throw a lot of lead fast.

Your choice?
SA 1911 A1 .45 for relability, wear, ability to function under extreme conditions and for shear stopping power, and ability to reload fast..anything less and you may as well have a bow and arrow.

SigSP2022006.jpg
Got it..been there..got the T-shirt. The only problem with this is the unpredictability of ammo accuracy in grain quantity and slug type, and the vulnerability of the plastic slide guide rod that could be broken off if struck with the slide locked back..should be swapped out with a steel one for the long haul. Otherwise light and you can forget you even have it on you.

Got it..been there..got the T-shirt. The only problem with this is the unpredictability of ammo accuracy in grain quantity and slug type, and the vulnerability of the plastic slide guide rod that could be broken off if struck with the slide locked back..should be swapped out with a steel one for the long haul. Otherwise light and you can forget you even have it on you.

Hmmm, I haven't experienced any accuracy problems with mine with different weight bullets, POI changes at distance with heaver vs. lighter bullets but the group size is the same, nor have I heard of any other SP2022 owners having accuracy issues. As far as the plastic guide rod is concerned, thousands upon thousands of rounds through my Glocks over the 10 year period I owned and carried them and never once had an issue with the plastic guide rod, and I expect to experience nothing less out of my SIG.

How could you not say a glock17! Let's see you bury the six shooter and dig it up, then freeze it, then drop it in the ocean. And so on and so on. Unless u get an unlimited supply of cleaning kits

When I was deployed in 97' we had "Force", SEAL team 5 (ST5) and scout sniper's on our boat. Force had standard issue 1911's or Beretta's, Scout Sniper's had issue Beretta's as well. The SEAL's had a mix of hand gun preference or choice. Some had SIG's, some had 1911's but there was one I remember distinctly. He was their "chief". That salty man carried a 44mag. I asked him as we were helping them load their gear into the Special Boat Unit (SBU) boat's. "why would you ever carry a wheel gun into a knife fight chief???" he said, "Well, I had a 1911...I was laying in the salt water for hours and hours, by the time I made my way onto the beach in the morning. The slide had "locked up" and wouldn't chamber a round. After that, I carry my "wheelie"..6 is better then none." the other SEAL's said he was just too OLD SKOOL. But it made me re-think...I'd say, here in a cleaner envio. Where you can perform better weapons maint. I would pick a 9mm auto...

Who said anything about a island? Quote from the OP "stranded in a remote area". Nothing about a Island or what might this one gun be used for. What happens if you get stuck in bear country?

I purchased a standard p226 in 9mm about 2 weeks ago. I already own an x-6 and love it. I would say that the standard p226 has quickly become my favorite gun. Picked it up new with night sights for 749. At 25% the price of my X-6 I wonder why I didn't try the standard model first. It does everything good. Sure I own guns that are better for a purpose, but they all have their pros and cons. I would say that my P226 does many things very well with a limited number of drawbacks. The biggest drawback being a larger size making it difficult, but not impossible, to carry concealed. Taking into considerations the trigger, fit and finish, quality, caliber, magazine capacity, reliablity, reputation, value, and a number of other factors, the p226 is the obvious front runner of the 14 hand cannons I currently own.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top