JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

If the Hearing Protect Act Passes, what will you do ....

• I would buy my first can!

Votes: 123 66.8%
  • I would buy more cans, though I've got some already.

Votes: 44 23.9%
  • Meh, I have enough silencers, so it wouldn't change much.

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I have no interest in suppressors, so whatever.

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Um, eh (bromp!), wut wuz duh ques'n?

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
Can for the long guns for sure - I don't need a can for any handguns. No point, IMO. I really, really would like a can for the defensive AR's though - I'd trade being deaf for being alive - but if I can be alive and keep my hearing (what's left of it anyway) if I have to light off a 5.56 indoors - likely in my narrow hallway or nothing bigger than a 10x10 room - I don't want to be deaf, or deafen the wife & kid.

There is no reason why a suppressor, ANY suppressor, should cost more than $500. I'd love a Salvo 12, but I ain't spending $1250 for one. After the initial surge occurs, maybe over a year or two, prices would drop precipitously. Just like you can get amazingly functional service pistols at $400, you should be able to get a rifle can for about that and a 22 can for half that.

Just wondering why we should have to go through a 4473 and a back ground check for just a muffler?
I'm okay with compromises with the anti-gunners, when we are moving our direction. I won't give away half the rights they want to take from me. But when I am taking rights back, I'm willing to take only half back at a time.

Something about looking a gift horse in the mouth is bad form? I'm okay with doing a 4473 for a can that is no longer a class III controlled item.

I already have one can I would likely buy at least one if not two more. Specifically, I have been considering one of the newer multi-caliber convertible cans as I would like to run a can on both my tavor and occasionally my Glock 34 with RMR.

I already have one can I would likely buy at least one if not two more. Specifically, I have been considering one of the newer multi-caliber convertible cans as I would like to run a can on both my tavor and occasionally my Glock 34 with RMR.
Wrong direction. If this were to pass I would never again buy multi-caliber anything. Nope. Looking into my gun safe safe, I'd say: "You get a can, and YOU get a can, and YOU get a can, and YOU." I'd maybe even consider one of those integrally suppressed handguns that are bound to start getting made.

Wrong direction. If this were to pass I would never again buy multi-caliber anything. Nope. Looking into my gun safe safe, I'd say: "You get a can, and YOU get a can, and YOU get a can, and YOU." I'd maybe even consider one of those integrally suppressed handguns that are bound to start getting made.

Wrong direction if I was made of money. Alas I am not and I have a plethora of hobbies. Even if they dropped to $300 a piece id still think twice before buying one for every firearm I own.

@B3dlam was talking about a RMR on his G34. Pistols with red dots have been exploding in usage (and anyone who has shot a red-dot-equipped pistol will understand why). I can imagine, with the passage of this act, that suppressed defense handguns (with RMR's, of course) will be the next wave of hotness. The 2018 and 2019 SHOT shows would be filled with them.

@B3dlam was talking about a RMR on his G34. Pistols with red dots have been exploding in usage (and anyone who has shot a red-dot-equipped pistol will understand why). I can imagine, with the passage of this act, that suppressed defense handguns (with RMR's, of course) will be the next wave of hotness. The 2018 and 2019 SHOT shows would be filled with them.
An integrally suppressed handgun with red dot and light would be a pretty stellar home defense option.

An integrally suppressed handgun with red dot and light would be a pretty stellar home defense option.
Except for the "integrally" part, I've already got this, but the whole package is several pounds and, like, 17" long. Way too unwieldy for anywhere but on my bedside table.

And, BTW, the can is an Octane45, which I share across many guns. I, too, won't be able to afford a can for every gun I own...yet. But a man can dream!

Except for the "integrally" part, I've already got this, but the whole package is several pounds and, like, 17" long. Way too unwieldy for anywhere but on my bedside table.

And, BTW, the can is an Octane45, which I share across many guns. I, too, won't be able to afford a can for every gun I own...yet. But a man can dream!

I waffle back and forth between the Tavor and one of my Glocks on the bedside table.

If it passed Id get my first effin can.
Well, depending on the law Id probably make one instead. As many have stated initial interest would drive up the cost on available cans. Why? Because they "can" ;)

However I honestly do think prices (for a while) will be high, but soon manufactuerers would catch on to the volume sales market amd produce an affordable economy class can with common threads. Truthfully the oil can adapter would probably be the most used "can" to start out with.

I'd be a rebel and buy and shoot the loudest , most obnoxious gun I could find ...:D
Just kidding!

Most of my guns are muzzleloaders ... I'd hate to think just what kind of mess I've have if I suppressed one of those. :eek:

It would be fun to have a suppressed rifle , just because.
Not sure if I'd get one in .22LR , .45acp for fun or .308 for hunting.
Andy

Just wondering why we should have to go through a 4473 and a back ground check for just a muffler?

Agreed with this. They should be like any other accessory. That said, the bill is a step in the right direction. It makes owning silencers a lot less expensive and obnoxious. It also chips away at a grossly unconstitutional and otherwise BS law that has been with us for over 80 years.

From what I was told
Never a start to a strong position. Here's the way it works, because youtubers rarely read the laws. If you submit a form 1 to the ATF with your planned length, caliber, serial number, and a $200 check they will approve it after a long wait. Only once you have the stamp IN HAND can you actually build the silencer. You do not have to do an additional BGC beyond the stamp itself. If silencers become title 1 then you CAN build them for your own personal use, and a serial number is not required.

Respectfully. My opinion only. Why should I have to go through all the non Constitutional Federal requirements such as a 4473 which invades my privacy and a Federal Instant Check which is probably wrong because the Feds usually just use the three, (3) major PRIVATE criminal data bases which are very non accurate just to buy a muffler for my gun?

Do you have to go through the same stupid and illegal hoops to buy a new muffler for your car? Your Chevy or Toy? Hardly. So why are we so quick to agree with this COMPROMISE when it comes to mufflers for your guns? Do we have a US Constitution or not? This law is extremely dangerous. It initiates compromise. It initiates defeatism. Respectfully.

We have a great advantage right now. Please do not let us pee it away. Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes Full broadsides on target until there is no target floating. Then sink the floating pieces. No compromise. No surrender. This opportunity only occurs ever 100 years. PLEASE do not squirrel it away. NO restrictions on gun mufflers.

Respectfullly. PS: this is the language used with all the current E-mails and Snail Mail letters to my Sinisters and Reprehensibles.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads