JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

If the Hearing Protect Act Passes, what will you do ....

• I would buy my first can!

Votes: 123 66.8%
  • I would buy more cans, though I've got some already.

Votes: 44 23.9%
  • Meh, I have enough silencers, so it wouldn't change much.

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I have no interest in suppressors, so whatever.

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Um, eh (bromp!), wut wuz duh ques'n?

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
To answer the question (theres no option in the poll for my answer) I would do nothing. I own a bunch of firearms none of which have a threaded barrel so Unless I were to decide to buy something new with the idea of putting a can on it then I'm doing nothing. And at this time I have no intention of buying any more firearms. And if I did it would be something off my want list not a new idea.

If the HPA passes, other NFA items will be more accessable (shorter wait) because there won't be a bazillion people clogging the system waiting for stamps on suppressors.

Never a start to a strong position. Here's the way it works, because youtubers rarely read the laws. If you submit a form 1 to the ATF with your planned length, caliber, serial number, and a $200 check they will approve it after a long wait. Only once you have the stamp IN HAND can you actually build the silencer. You do not have to do an additional BGC beyond the stamp itself. If silencers become title 1 then you CAN build them for your own personal use, and a serial number is not required.
Yep I wouldn't really trust s YouTube guy but the one that I watched was a guy building a can for his 45 he was obviously a machinist because he was in a machine shop and made a nice one and he explained the whole deal he said he waited 6or 7 months to get approve

Can for the long guns for sure - I don't need a can for any handguns. No point, IMO. I really, really would like a can for the defensive AR's though - I'd trade being deaf for being alive - but if I can be alive and keep my hearing (what's left of it anyway) if I have to light off a 5.56 indoors - likely in my narrow hallway or nothing bigger than a 10x10 room - I don't want to be deaf, or deafen the wife & kid.
Lol yep I had a break on my AR rifle that had the big ports out to each side and that thing was so loud when I shot it at the indoor range that only let's you shoot up to 7.62/39 the Range officer came over to check my gun he thought it was 308 or something

Deregulating suppressors would do wonders for the secondary market. All the used suppressors that people dont want anymore being sold off. I would probably be buying suppressors all over the place.

Deregulating suppressors would do wonders for the secondary market. All the used suppressors that people dont want anymore being sold off. I would probably be buying suppressors all over the place.
I wouldn't run out and start buying used suppressors you know they don't last a lifetime they were out after awhile and you have to replace them some you can replace the baffle 's

I would think that these companies would not change the price the only difference is you would save money by not having to pay the federal tax but I could be wrong depends on supply and demand I'm guessing they can provide plenty of can's probley got a back stock of them by now there just waiting for this law to pass and they will flood the market
Most of the companies said they would dramatically lower them because there be no more red tape to go through. Since they could sell them a lot easier they could sell them at a more reasonable prices.

Most of the companies said they would dramatically lower them because there be no more red tape to go through. Since they could sell them a lot easier they could sell them at a more reasonable prices.
Well that is true but it will be just like some guns government says they going to do this or that and price goes up everytime a mass shooting happens and the shooter uses a AR15 the price of AR15 DOUBLE 'S it will be the same with suppressors

Well that is true but it will be just like some guns government says they going to do this or that and price goes up everytime a mass shooting happens and the shooter uses a AR15 the price of AR15 DOUBLE 'S it will be the same with suppressors
That's not always totally true during Sandy Hook gun prices from manufacturers stayed the same, but they're was such a huge backorders. the only way you were going to get one right away was going third party and they were the ones price gouging. I bought two AR's during that Madness but through the manufacturer. It just took forever to get them but they were same price before the shooting.

Hell, if we could get a domestic AK industry up and running (not parts-kits with domestic receivers but true-blue Made-in-USA stem-to-stern), Kalashnikovs are only like a couple hundred bucks a pop actual manufacturing cost... though that may be because they were designed to be so simple that *schoolchildren* could maintain and assemble them.

And that would also maintain downward price pressure on the AR industry due to competition...

That's not always totally true during Sandy Hook gun prices from manufacturers stayed the same, but they're was such a huge backorders. the only way you were going to get one right away was going third party and they were the ones price gouging. I bought two AR's during that Madness but through the manufacturer. It just took forever to get them but they were same price before the shooting.
YEP your right bout that but guns we buy from gun stores so they can price gouging we don't go directly to a gun maker and buy guns but the suppressor company 's sell directly to the public and if you don't they will price gouging when it is possible well then I have some beach front property you might be interested in it's just outside Denver

Hell, if we could get a domestic AK industry up and running (not parts-kits with domestic receivers but true-blue Made-in-USA stem-to-stern), Kalashnikovs are only like a couple hundred bucks a pop actual manufacturing cost... though that may be because they were designed to be so simple that *schoolchildren* could maintain and assemble them.

And that would also maintain downward price pressure on the AR industry due to competition...
Well get on plain and fiy to the middle east you can get a AK FOR LIKE 15 BUCKS LOL

YEP your right bout that but guns we buy from gun stores so they can price gouging we don't go directly to a gun maker and buy guns but the suppressor company 's sell directly to the public and if you don't they will price gouging when it is possible well then I have some beach front property you might be interested in it's just outside Denver
Absolutely, at first there will be some... but don't forget my recap of Basic Economics above.

From Economics For Dummies Cheat Sheet - dummies
Buyers and sellers interact in markets. Market equilibrium occurs when the desires of buyers and sellers align exactly so that neither group has reason to change its behavior. The market equilibrium price, p*, and equilibrium quantity, q*, are determined by where the demand curve of the buyers, D, crosses the supply curve of the sellers, S. At that price, the amount that the buyers demand equals the amount that the sellers offer.

244383.image0.jpg

In the absence of externalities (costs or benefits that fall on persons not directly involved in an activity), the market equilibrium quantity, q*, is also the socially optimal output level. For each unit from 0 up to q*, the demand curve is above the supply curve, meaning that people are willing to pay more to buy those units than they cost to produce. There are gains from producing and then consuming those units.

IDENTIFYING MARKET FAILURES
Sometimes markets fail to generate the socially optimal output level of goods and services. Several prerequisites must be fulfilled before perfect competition can work properly and generate that output level. Causes of market failure include the following:

• Externalities caused by incomplete or nonexistent property rights: Without full and complete property rights, markets are unable to take all the costs of production into account.*
*Say, the 1934 NFA restrictions.

To walk through the chain of events...
--Suppressors deregulated.
--Liberal media howling to the heavens.
--Curious public hears about these "new" (to them) toys and wants to play too.
--Demand for suppressors surges.
--With finite quantity available until manufacturers expand capacity, prices shift left along the Demand Curve.
--Manufacturers see the high profit-margin-per-unit and expand facilities, add more shifts at existing facilities (see also: ban-scare AR industry) or enter from outside the market.
--Prices remain high until the Supply Curve adjusts upward and meets the Demand Curve, restoring equilibrium.

So, there will be some gouging from some of the Big Names with Mil/Gov/LE contracts (what reason do they have to worry about what Joe Average thinks? *stares pointedly at FN, HK and Colt*) until new players enter the market and the second-tier manufacturers ramp up, which will both put supply on steroids, thus cratering the Market Price and bringing considerable downward price-pressure onto KAC/SureFire/Gemtech/etc. Additionally, a price spike at Brand X frequently causes reduced demand for Brand X and increased demand for similar competitor Brand Y, which means lost sales, thus lost market share, and thus pressure to rethink things. (Boards of Directors and investors tend to not like when you miss an opportunity to make a sale, after all...)

Gee, thanks for the flashbacks to my Sociopathic Business Major days, a**holes... :p

But once the government gets involved it will be $1500
My point exactly--domestic production means no import duties or restrictions or 922R parts-counts... may cost a little more for domestic labor than a third-world peon, but I'd bet you could come out ahead even with that from the reduced Regulatory and Compliance Costs.

Full disclosure, I'm no fan of the AK OR the AR--my personal preference is old-school wood-stocked irons of not less than .30-caliber that you can BEAT the enemy to death with at CQB range and still fire again afterward, but my torso is not built to fit such heavy, long-LOP weapons.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top