JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

If the Hearing Protect Act Passes, what will you do ....

• I would buy my first can!

Votes: 123 66.8%
  • I would buy more cans, though I've got some already.

Votes: 44 23.9%
  • Meh, I have enough silencers, so it wouldn't change much.

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I have no interest in suppressors, so whatever.

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Um, eh (bromp!), wut wuz duh ques'n?

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
I think they'd be more likely to think that they coukd raise prices due to not having to pay for the stamp. Stamp costs $200, cut the difference in half and increase by $100.
At first I wouldn't doubt it... but once new players enter the market, supply catches up to demand and market pressures start shoving the P-Q Curve downwards...

Sorry, having flashbacks to ECON class again. lol

The only reason I don't already own a suppressor is because of the NFA and ATF hoops that I'm not going to jump through. I doubt the hearing protection act will pass though,I can never see the mainstream public being ok with easier access to "silencers",if by some act of God it somehow passes I'll be buying my first can or two.

No doubt every one will be rushing to buy, and why not, a silencer is nothing more then a muffler for your guns! My concern is; Ok, they remove it from the NFA and such, but they still require a BCG and paper work? Smells like the ATF still gets to regulate what is essentially a Car muffler, so there is still paper work and the legal challenge on you the consumer! What about the folks that wish to make their own? Do they still have to do a BCG and ask for permission?!?!!? Sounds like it still regulated, but better then haveing to pay a frickin tax on it and having to wait for the Gov to say Ok!
I'm going to build the snot out of them, one for every rifle I own, and extras in case I wanna buy more rifles!

Need to ad another choice, If they repealed the NFA I would build my own.
In my case where I say buy,I mean buy the parts and assemble my own.
Suppressors are pretty simple devices so I believe a lot of people will be making their own if the hearing protection act passes. I'd assume more would be built than sold just because of how much money can be saved,$15-25 worth of materials and some manual labor vs $299 or so for a cheap suppressor.

I still don't think I would buy one as I don't shoot anyplace that I wouldn't be next to someone shooting unsupressed anyway but I have always been fascinated by their function and may tinker around with building a few where it not a"crime" to do so without a stamp 200 and a year wait is a bit steep for a experiment that may not work so well on the first couple tries.

No doubt every one will be rushing to buy, and why not, a silencer is nothing more then a muffler for your guns! My concern is; Ok, they remove it from the NFA and such, but they still require a BCG and paper work? Smells like the ATF still gets to regulate what is essentially a Car muffler, so there is still paper work and the legal challenge on you the consumer! What about the folks that wish to make their own? Do they still have to do a BCG and ask for permission?!?!!? Sounds like it still regulated, but better then haveing to pay a frickin tax on it and having to wait for the Gov to say Ok!
I'm going to build the snot out of them, one for every rifle I own, and extras in case I wanna buy more rifles!
The government already regulates your car muffler if you live with in city limits that you have to have your car smog tested every two years lol

And as for building your own I have all the parts to build one or two of them it's legal to have the parts they only become illegal if you put them together if there in pieces on your work beach they a just parts

What about the folks that wish to make their own? Do they still have to do a BCG and ask for permission?!?!!?

As currently written, the answer appears to be "no", they don't. From the bill:

"To provide that silencers be treated the same as long guns.

...​

Section 927 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

"Notwithstanding the preceding sentence, a law of a State or a political subdivision of a State that, as a condition of lawfully making, transferring, using, possessing, or transporting a firearm silencer in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, imposes a tax on any such conduct, or a marking, recordkeeping or registration requirement with respect to the firearm silencer, shall have no force or effect.""
Under Federal law, it is perfectly legal to build a regular Title I firearm (such as long guns), for one's own use without any need to get permission, pay a tax, et al. Title II (NFA) items, other than machine-guns, can also be home-made, though they, obviously, have to be registered before hand (Form 1).

As currently written, the answer appears to be "no", they don't. From the bill:

"To provide that silencers be treated the same as long guns.

...​

Section 927 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

"Notwithstanding the preceding sentence, a law of a State or a political subdivision of a State that, as a condition of lawfully making, transferring, using, possessing, or transporting a firearm silencer in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, imposes a tax on any such conduct, or a marking, recordkeeping or registration requirement with respect to the firearm silencer, shall have no force or effect.""
Under Federal law, it is perfectly legal to build a regular Title I firearm (such as long guns), for one's own use without any need to get permission, pay a tax, et al. Title II (NFA) items, other than machine-guns, can also be home-made, though they, obviously, have to be registered before hand (Form 1).
From what I was told and what I have seen is you can make or build your own but as the law is now you still must pay 200 bucks and get a serial# and stamp it or ingrave it on your homemade suppresser and you have to pass a background check and be cleared before you build it that's what I been told and I saw guy on YouTube say the same thing when he was building one for his gun and filmed and posted it on YouTube

From what I was told and what I have seen is you can make or build your own but as the law is now you still must pay 200 bucks and get a serial# and stamp it or ingrate it on your homemade suppresser and you have to pass a background check and be cleared before you build it that's what I been told and I saw guy on YouTube say the same thing when he was building one for his gun and filmed and posted it on YouTube

The law as of right now, indeed, one must fully comply with the NFA34 (file Form 1 and related, $200 tax paid, engraving, et al.) as with any other item so regulated, if one wishes to build a suppressor.

The text quoted above is from the currently proposed bill, not the existing statutes. I probably should have been more specific that it is from the proposed Hearing Protection Act.

Last Edited:
The title kind of says it. If the Hearing Protection Act passes and silencers are now Title I, so you can buy them with a simple background check, a 4473, and out the door, would your acquisitions be any different? If so, how?

What was that?

sarahspic019.jpg

Last Edited:
The only reason why they want to keep it this way is they get $200 bucks and the idiots out there think that suppressed guns are just for hit men like they see on the movies most people don't know that a suppressed gun only lowers the noise like 30 DB 's they think it's like James BOND pew pew your dead and nobody heard the shot lol

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top