JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Shotgun silencers; Yea or Nay?

• Yes! Very helpful, practical, or whatever!

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • For gee-whiz factor, maybe. Fun, perhaps, but of dubious practicality.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No, complete waste of time and money.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • No idea.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Um, eh, (bromp!) wut wuz teh ques'n ehgain?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm a fan of silencers and have a few. I think they shine brightest on rifles and rimfires. Don't think I'd ever buy a shotgun can unless I was into waterfowling, and everyone I was in the blind with also had one.

Problem is most shotshells for bird hunting are supersonic and loud even with a can on. I have heard several and am not impressed with the sound reduction and the ruined balance/sight picture. An integral might be more effective and ergonomic. The only way to be deadly subsonic would be with hevishot or TSS with pellets large enough to carry kinetic energy despite lower speeds. It's a rabbit hole I don't need.

I think they're a great idea, however I have zero experience with them. Even if it only reduced dB levels by 10, that's better than nothing. Would love to put one on my turkey gun...

Reno had one and had a baffle strike and it broke. Seems to me if it's of any significant length it's a big gamble with a shotgun. No experience with them just guessing. Seen lots of pellets with flat spots from the barrel wouldn't it wipe out a baffle instead of making a flat spot? I'd rather reduce recoil than sound personally.

Here's Reno's thread

Last Edited:
When they first started to experiment with them I was not impressed. Now that one that is an NFA for both the shotty and the can? I was kind glad WA banned them as I would probably be on the damn waiting list for one. Last I looked the wait list was like 9 months.

Reno had one and had a baffle strike and it broke. Seems to me if it's of any significant length it's a big gamble with a shotgun. No experience with them just guessing. Seen lots of pellets with flat spots from the barrel wouldn't it wipe out a baffle instead of making a flat spot? I'd rather reduce recoil than sound personally.

Here's Reno's thread

Did something happen to Reno? That thread is there but his name is not just a member #? He quit the group?

I have had a Salvo 12 for a few years now. It's fun on the Mossy shockwave with minishells, it's OK for turkey loads, but not super effective. It's unwieldy on an upland/waterfowl gun as it completely effs up your swing.

I have had a Salvo 12 for a few years now. It's fun on the Mossy shockwave with minishells, it's OK for turkey loads, but not super effective. It's unwieldy on an upland/waterfowl gun as it completely effs up your swing.
When you say "not super effective", what do you mean? No effect? Just takes the edge off? I just can't convince myself to take the plunge but I'd really like to fit one on my turkey gun.

When you say "not super effective", what do you mean? No effect? Just takes the edge off? I just can't convince myself to take the plunge but I'd really like to fit one on my turkey gun.
12ga to me really isn't that loud. I wouldn't go target shooting without ears, but hunting wise, it doesn't make them ring like a rifle or pistol. I can't imagine you can make a 1/2" hole very quiet though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top