JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

If the Hearing Protect Act Passes, what will you do ....

• I would buy my first can!

Votes: 123 66.8%
  • I would buy more cans, though I've got some already.

Votes: 44 23.9%
  • Meh, I have enough silencers, so it wouldn't change much.

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I have no interest in suppressors, so whatever.

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Um, eh (bromp!), wut wuz duh ques'n?

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
Duh!

I have a welder.:D

It's not like it has to fly to mars or anything.
It's a length of pipe with some baffle. o_O

But under the Hearing Protection Act it is still a firearm. Even in Gun Hating Europe it is a "muffler" with minimum restrictions. In NZ there are no restrictions. But the best we can do in the US is call it a firearm?

IMG_5333.JPG Here is my 80% silencer.... :rolleyes:

And that is the biggest hurdle to passing the HPA- the government no longer will get $200 for every can sold

But I think I know a way to recover the lost tax revenue:

Repeal the Hughes Amendment!

My curiosity is if they are removed from the NFA, that's one thing. Would they still require manufacturers to go through all the hoops to make them?

If they removed the restrictions to make them and it upend the door for any small firearms company to start making them with out needing all the special licensing the prices will come down significantly.

That is an interesting question concerning manufacturing. As far as I can see, there is no direct reference to that in the text. However, the bill does say "To provide that silencers be treated the same as long guns." So, presumably, the same licensure, regulations, etc., that applies to manufacturing regular long guns would then apply to silencers. And the preemption of certain state laws mentions "making" of silencers. Text below, emphasis added.

Notwithstanding the preceding sentence, a law of a State or a political subdivision of a State that, as a condition of lawfully making, transferring, using, possessing, or transporting a firearm silencer in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, imposes a tax on any such conduct, or a marking, recordkeeping or registration requirement with respect to the firearm silencer, shall have no force or effect.​

I'm curious how it would shake out for the "home" builders that currently make them on a Form 1. Will they be able to now simply make them (so long as they do not sell them) the same way one would complete an 80% lower?

I'm curious how it would shake out for the "home" builders that currently make them on a Form 1. Will they be able to now simply make them (so long as they do not sell them) the same way one would complete an 80% lower?

That's the idea - they would be treated like any title I firearm, meaning if it's legal to make 'em in your state, you could, no paperwork necessary. I foresee Mag Lights becoming REALLY popular again :D

I'd be a rebel and buy and shoot the loudest , most obnoxious gun I could find ...:D
Just kidding!

Most of my guns are muzzleloaders ... I'd hate to think just what kind of mess I've have if I suppressed one of those. :eek:

It would be fun to have a suppressed rifle , just because.
Not sure if I'd get one in .22LR , .45acp for fun or .308 for hunting.
Andy

I would love to see a suppressed black powder muzzleloader.

My post was mostly "tongue in cheek".
I mostly shoot and collect original muzzleloaders.
Also I try to shoot like Daniel Boone and Kit Carson ... So since they didn't have a suppressor , none for me , thanks.

That said one on a modern gun ( rimfire or centerfire ) might be neat.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top