JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So Underwood Ammo, maybe you've heard of them? Can't duplicate ANY .45 ACP round that even comes close to the 10mm in terms of energy delivered. Nor can they get to 1425 near as I can tell. You should email them your load specs.

That makes no sense.......what is that conversion kit for a 1911 (a Nowlan?) converts the gun to shoot a round that has a bit longer case with a much heavier load? They seem to be well accepted and commonly used. The frame on my IWI 45 Win Mag was not heavier built, just had a longer mag well to accommodate the magnum length case.

When were we talking conversion kits? I can "convert" one of my AR's to .300 BLK. So?

That makes no sense.......what is that conversion kit for a 1911 (a Nowlan?) converts the gun to shoot a round that has a bit longer case with a much heavier load? They seem to be well accepted and commonly used. The frame on my IWI 45 Win Mag was not heavier built, just had a longer mag well to accommodate the magnum length case.
.460 Rowland. He claims the longer case isn't necessary, just prevents being chambered in any weak .45's. He has conversion kits for the XD series, Glocks, and a 1911 kit recommended for only quality steel framed guns. He claims to push a 185gr at 1575 fps

.460 Rowland® – Shoots Like a Dream.. Hits Like a Sledgehammer!

The heavy 45ACP loads were originally developed for heavy revolvers that were in common use at the time. My first handgun was a Colt M1917 45ACP that had been heavily refined. I still have a M1955 S&W that I bought new in 1976.

So...riddle me this: The 30-06 originally pushed 150gr bullets at around 2700 fps. Modern powders can push same to 3000 fps in modern rifles, not the nickle steel stuff from 1906. Thats 300 fps or roughly 11% increase in performance from a case holding over 60gr of powder and a 24 inch barrel.

But somehow, handgun ammo velocities have regressed over the same time period regardless of the benefit of modern steel and powders?

Book max for 45 ACP+p and 185gr bullets is around 1200fps. I'll give you an extra 50fps or so for going over max. What you are claiming is 15% higher out of a factory pistol chambered in 45 ACP?

The only reason I ask that you don't prove it is I dont want your gun or your hand on my soul.

Exactly. But is it a .45 ACP? Nope.
You're right, it's not .45 ACP. However, it is loaded with the same bullets to the same COAL as .45 ACP. Meaning both cartriges have the same usable case capacity. So in theory, a person could duplicate these loads using .45 ACP.

You're right, it's not .45 ACP. However, it is loaded with the same bullets to the same COAL as .45 ACP. Meaning both cartriges have the same usable case capacity. So in theory, a person could duplicate these loads using .45 ACP.

Of course. But even still. not the .45 ACP.

With heavier recoil springs and a compensator that helps vent pressure to keep the gun from falling apart.

Sounds stupid +P to me. If you need a bigger gun, buy one.

With heavier recoil springs and a compensator that helps vent pressure to keep the gun from falling apart.

Sounds stupid +P to me. If you need a bigger gun, buy one.

Amen!

If they made the 10mm the Service Pistol Caliber (200 grains @1200 fps = 638 foot-pounds of energy) and construct the pistols accordingly, everything would work rather well.

The option of "lighter loads" would always be there.

Case closed.

But come the next Miami shooting type event, They will rediscover larger better calibers all over again!
No, this won't happen. The shooting community (I guess I'm including the military, the FBI, police) have finally come to the realization that all handguns suck. If one needs a bad guy down, right now, then one needs a rifle and a well-aimed shot. Or a shotgun, but talking about other awesome things that are going down quickly!

There may be some new hotness, but the move to 9mm is because you get more bullets and you need a rifle to actually get something done. NO PISTOL will be good enough. Not 10mm, not 357sig, not 45acp, not 460Rowland. 5.56 and UP!

No, this won't happen. The shooting community (I guess I'm including the military, the FBI, police) have finally come to the realization that all handguns suck. If one needs a bad guy down, right now, then one needs a rifle and a well-aimed shot. Or a shotgun, but talking about other awesome things that are going down quickly!

There may be some new hotness, but the move to 9mm is because you get more bullets and you need a rifle to actually get something done. NO PISTOL will be good enough. Not 10mm, not 357sig, not 45acp, not 460Rowland. 5.56 and UP!

I'm picking up. What your putting down.

But if you think there done rationalizing a best pistol caliber.
Then why the big argument heard today for 9mm? o_O

Like you said. ''NO PISTOL will be good enough''.
And your right.

It's the lack luster performance, of whatever caliber in vogue. That will forever fuel the perceived need for change.

And round and round the rounds, we go. ;)

if it wasn't for the .40:
  • 9mm people would not have something for their round to look up to and
  • .45 owners would not have something to say "it's just trying to be a .45" about.

185gr projectile at 1350 fps (or even higher) sounds very interesting. I would highly appreciate if you could share your loading data. I can perform safe experiments on them. Thanks!

Look into the higher end 180-grain 10mm Auto loads. (It has been done numerous times). Underwood's 180-grain 1300 fps and 676 fpe.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads