JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm picking up. What your putting down.

But if you think there done rationalizing a best pistol caliber.
Then why the big argument heard today for 9mm? o_O

Like you said. ''NO PISTOL will be good enough''.
And your right.

It's the lack luster performance, of whatever caliber in vogue. That will forever fuel the perceived need for change.

And round and round the rounds, we go. ;)

Whats funny is 9mm has been around for 115 years and 45 ACP for 112 years. Still haven't figured it out.

Could be, but I don't want to assume anything at this point. The worst thing I would have is a blown up 1911. I will take that for the team.

Sure if you have the funds to waste a 1911 on internet non sense.

1st. A .45 acp cannot take that load

2nd. Maybe I served at a different time than argunant but I find it suspect they let people carry handloads

3rd. Story sounds reallllyyy fishy

4th. Why not get a 38 super, 10mm, or 460 Rowland instead of blowing up a .45?

Let us know how the test goes whenever you find out the loading.

Just to try to get this back on topic, I picked up 100, 170 grain .41 Sierra bullets from Bimart today for my .41AE. Been gathering dust on their shelf for about a year (I also bought one then). They can't go 1500 fps, but I can make them go close to 1200 fps out of a 4.75" barrel.

I'm not into being "killjoy", but why abuse a firearm and shorten its service life for no purpose?

I don't have to "hot rod" a 10mm to obtain hunting power. It was designed to be a superb hunting/PD by Irving Stone and Whit Collins from the inception of the cartridge. (It is a cut-down .30 Remington case loaded with a 180-grain 38-40 Winchester bullet).

Sure if you have the funds to waste a 1911 on internet non sense.

1st. A .45 acp cannot take that load

2nd. Maybe I served at a different time than argunant but I find it suspect they let people carry handloads

3rd. Story sounds reallllyyy fishy

4th. Why not get a 38 super, 10mm, or 460 Rowland instead of blowing up a .45?

Let us know how the test goes whenever you find out the loading.

Well, a part of the reasons why I want to try out is, based on his other postings, I'm just curious what if he is talking about the truth. You don't need to worry about me wasting my money if I have to say that way. I have way more than enough 1911 spare parts anyway. I would like to find some use for them.

1. That's what I understand so far.
2. I agree.
3. I agree, too.
4. I have all that you mentioned plus more. Well, not the 460 to be honest but I'm not interested anyway. I am still reducing my collection.

Of course i will let everyone know. That's the whole point of why I'm doing this.

Service life? As long as you use proper springs and replace them regularly.... I love 40SW as it is a fun caliber to shoot.

People complain about service life of frames...mainly because they dont replace springs...

The service life of a pistol is 15k to upwards of 30k rounds. Most people dint shoot that much. I shoot 200 rounds out of my service weapon every month. Twice a year, I shoot 400 rounds through it on a requal day. Thats 3200 rounds a year. We replace our guns every 5 years.

Agreed, and I always play within the SAAMI boundary as I'm not interested in this kind of stuff (pushing over the limit) generally. It's just all for curiosity as he shows such confidence in his loading.
I found my loading 14.5 grains of Herco on a 185 grain Hornaday hollow point. Over 600 ft lbs of energy, Double tap has a very similar loading with factory ammunition. You guys need to get out more.

I'm wondering when the military allowed service members to use hand loads in their issued firearms.
The Army would never allow it......they don't even issue ammunition with weapons most of the time. The USAF never issues a weapon without ammunition. I was in a small specialized unit. We had choices in weapons and no one ever looked at our ammo. The Army didn't trust there guys with a sharp knife.

I found my loading 14.5 grains of Herco on a 185 grain Hornaday hollow point. Over 600 ft lbs of energy, Double tap has a very similar loading with factory ammunition. You guys need to get out more.

The DoubleTap load is advertised as the fastest 185 gr 45 ACP +P load on the market at 1200 fps at 592 ft lbs energy. Thats 250 fps slower than what you were claiming but only + 8 ft lbs of energy?

The DoubleTap load is advertised as the fastest 185 gr 45 ACP +P load on the market at 1200 fps at 592 ft lbs energy. Thats 250 fps slower than what you were claiming but only + 8 ft lbs of energy?
They load a 185 grain Nosler hollow point to 1225 FPS with 616 ft lbs of energy (that is a factory load) . Where do you get this stuff? I said 1350.......not a lot of difference. You need a remedial math class too. A perfect 10mm shooter.

Last Edited:
Thanks for the info. Few more questions. What's your COAL? How much do you crimp? And which primer do you use for this load? Do you use regular 45 acp brass for this load? Thanks!

Thanks for the info. Few more questions. What's your COAL? How much do you crimp? And which primer do you use for this load?
I experimented with several bullets at the time. To was just at the time more light jacketed hollow points were being developed. I have a Hornaday here on my desk that expanded to 69 caliber but I could do better with newer lighter skinned bullets. I haven't found my notebook that has that information. The load it's self is written on my die case. I used to crimp canatalured bullets pretty heavily but don't remember any problems with bullets moving in the case with uncantalured bullets. I would throat and polish the feed ramp until the ammo fed well. I did (and do) use full length guide rods with double Springs. My Gold Cup has lighter springs than my Commander. Other than a lot of polishing, precise fitting and a set of Eliasson sights that is about all I have done. I think my old (personal) combat gun had a set of MMC (?) adjustable sights.

They load a 185 grain Nosler hollow point to 1225 FPS with 616 ft lbs of energy (that is a factory load) . Where do you get this stuff? I said 1350.......not a lot of difference. You need a remedial math class too. A perfect 10mm shooter.

You guys are looking at modern (lawyered up) tables. My old (pre 70) manuals go to 1425. I carried that load for years in the military (for my 1911) , along with my 4" python.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top