JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I remember in my youth reading gun rag's on the Jericho 9/41. Later the 10mm. And then the FBI's baby.

God I'm old.

As I remember the .41 was said at the time to be the [by people that know] perfect man stopper.
It's downfall? I believe was it's rebated 9mm rim. o_O

Fast forward to the 40 S&W. And you get the fruition of what the .41 was hoped to be. ;)

In 1991 I was 36 years old when the .41 Action Express was introduced in the IMI Baby Eagle. It was ballistically superior to the .40 S&W.

The .41 Action Express was superior, but the .40 was a shortened version of the 10mm Auto (albeit with thinner brass at the web).

It is too bad. The .41 AE had plenty to offer.

The .40 definitely has its place, but unfortunately it is primarily in competition. 40S&W absolutely OWNS USPSA Limited division, but what percentage of shooters does this even matter to? It is still big, even though it seems to be on the way out...

BTW, was the 41AE put out by the same folks as the 50AE?

The .40 definitely has its place, but unfortunately it is primarily in competition. 40S&W absolutely OWNS USPSA Limited division, but what percentage of shooters does this even matter to? It is still big, even though it seems to be on the way out...

Sure .40 is on the way out.
Much the way .45 LC bowed to the .38 in the military prior to the boar wars.

Today 9mm is all the rage. "Its just as powerful'' [Insert Paul Harrell arm swing]. as the .40 and .45.
But come the next Miami shooting type event, They will rediscover larger better calibers all over again!

It's a funny thing? If you live long enough. You get to witness the joy of rediscovering. :D

No wait? Screw the :D. It kind of pisses me off. :mad:

Yes, it was Action Arms (a division of Israeli Military Industries) produce(s) the .50 Action Express, UZI, Baby Eagle, and the Desert Eagle.

Any of the three could have survived equally. But there was not room for three relatively new cartridges, all at the same time, with close to equal performance. 10mm could/should have been the winner, until it was a bit too hot for law enforcement. So why a 10mm cartridge with de-tuned performance? Enter the .40 S&W. It was just the compromise that won.

Any of the three could have survived equally. But there was not room for three relatively new cartridges, all at the same time, with close to equal performance. 10mm could/should have been the winner, until it was a bit too hot for law enforcement. So why a 10mm cartridge with de-tuned performance? Enter the .40 S&W. It was just the compromise that won.

Don't forget the not too small fact that .40 S&W resides in a 9mm frame gun. ;)

To my way of thinking the .40 S&W should have been called the 10mm S&W Special. I've been told (by a S&W executive) that that name hadn't even been suggested! Go figure.

Don't forget the not too small fact that .40 S&W resides in a 9mm frame gun. ;)
Bingo. That was part of the FBI decision. If the 10mm was gonna be loaded down, then it made sense to shorten the case to what would fit in a current 9mm handgun.

The 10mm is a far better cartridge and it far superseded them all. (I distinctly remember the 1991 Shooting Times article comparing the three cartridges).

The statement saying "Law Enforcement" officers "couldn't handle" the 10mm Auto applied primarily to pencil pushers and small female Feebies.

Everyone else handled it rather well

The 10mm is a far better cartridge and it far superseded them all. (I distinctly remember the 1991 Shooting Times article comparing the three cartridges).

The statement saying "Law Enforcement" officers "couldn't handle" the 10mm Auto applied primarily to pencil pushers and small female Feebies.

Everyone else handled it rather well

That has caused me to wonder why folks considered the 10mm too punishing. I find the 10mm very comfortable.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top