JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1350 @ 185? Wow. That's impressive. If I could get to 1000 at that weight I'd chub up! Even Underwood can't get past 1200FPS.
You guys are looking at modern (lawyered up) tables. My old (pre 70) manuals go to 1425. I carried that load for years in the military (for my 1911) , along with my 4" python. We had 38 special ammo available in the USAF but if we were near the army I could get 45ACP. A couple of boxes of hot ammo always went along for each gun. The old hollow point 45 bullets didn't expand well under 1200. Have never had any frame trouble. Barrel had to be throated to allow th e short HP bullets to feed. one time when I lived in Germany, I had a Smith work the trigger of a new 1911 I had just bought. I was shooting at a fox from the front seat of my new Chrysler, the gun chain fired. The 3td round went through the windshield in the upper corner. I drove it covered with heavy strapping tape over the hole the rest of my tour.

Last Edited:
1425 from a .45 ACP? There was a load that launched a 145 grain at 1350 (Glaser +P and good luck on your gun holding together). But at 185?

And government provided? Nope.

You guys are looking at modern (lawyered up) tables. My old (pre 70) manuals go to 1425. I carried that load for years in the military (for my 1911) , along with my 4" python. We had 38 special ammo available in the USAF but if we were near the army I could get 45ACP. A couple of boxes of hot ammo always went along for each gun. The old hollow point 45 bullets didn't expand well under 1200. Have never had any frame trouble. Barrel had to be throated to allow th e short HP bullets to feed. one time when I lived in Germany, I had a Smith work the trigger of a new 1911 I had just bought. I was shooting at a fox from the front seat of my new Chrysler, the gun chain fired. The 3td round went through the windshield in the upper corner. I drove it covered with heavy strapping tape over the hole the rest of my tour.

See, where I'm from, we call those pipe bombs.

1425 from a .45 ACP? There was a load that launched a 145 grain at 1350 (Glaser +P and good luck on your gun holding together). But at 185?

The heavy 45ACP loads were originally developed for heavy revolvers that were in common use at the time. My first handgun was a Colt M1917 45ACP that had been heavily refined. I still have a M1955 S&W that I bought new in 1976.

The heavy 45ACP loads were originally developed for heavy revolvers that were in common use at the time. My first handgun was a Colt M1917 45ACP that had been heavily refined. I still have a M1955 S&W that I bought new in 1976.

Don't doubt that, never would. But a 185 grain projectile going 1450? From a .45 ACP? No way. At least from a 1911 anyway.

They were my own handloads..........there were very hot 45ACP loads for submachine gun use too.

You do know the max SAAMI pressure is close the half of what the 9mm/.40 is right? And at those speeds and projectile weights I'd say you are in the +P+++ range. No bueno.

Honestly if that was the case and could be replicated, why are we all not carrying that gun and load? Who would even need a 10mm?
Sounds like my original point........The 10mm has a little better sectional density, the 45 would keyhole at 40 yards or so but handguns are a short range weapon anyway. I was just trying to get the old heavy wall hollow points to open up.

If you managed a load that would function in a 1911 with the specs you provided, you might want to replace.......everything? The 10mm will keep on trucking and destroy the .45 ACP.

BTW, I own both and my 1911 will be buried with me, when the time comes.

SAAMI was written by lawyers.......the German 9mm ammo they used in high powers at the range used to throw 2 feet of flame out of the muzzle. European ammo was always much hotter than out American stuff.

Wow. And I thought the 10mm was exciting.:s0024:
0827150946a_zpsa7547015.jpg
I was there.

If you managed a load that would function in a 1911 with the specs you provided, you might want to replace.......everything? The 10mm will keep on trucking and destroy the .45 ACP.

BTW, I own both and my 1911 will be buried with me, when the time comes.
That makes no sense.......what is that conversion kit for a 1911 (a Nowlan?) converts the gun to shoot a round that has a bit longer case with a much heavier load? They seem to be well accepted and commonly used. The frame on my IWI 45 Win Mag was not heavier built, just had a longer mag well to accommodate the magnum length case.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top