JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have all the gear, and I've gone out a few times but no fur down. I've made about 10-15 stands, and on the second stand got 4 to show up. Of course they came in behind us, and by the time I got on one, I missed. After that it's been dry. Looking for someone that has experience, gear of their own, and some land. I don't plan on keeping the fur, will hunt over it or you can have it. I have some land (160 acre southwest of Corvallis or ~100 acre near Sweet Home), but not sure there are yotes on it. Sweet Home is the most promising of the land I have.

Nate

If you hit up Bob Horning, hornings hide out, on the right day, he'll let you shoot them on his land.

I've been out on his property twice and eradicated them for him.

Easiest thing to do is get an electric caller and a serenade call programmed on it. Play that at the crack of dawn and you'll know if there are yotes around.

I'll join you if you'd like, to see if you've got any on your land? I'm no expert but I'll sit around and read while hitting the button on my electric call till something shootable shows up.

Good info. I'll look him up.

Found a yote skull on the edge of our property in sweethome (right on the river) as well as some yote poop (from the looks of it) so there might be luck on that land.

The other property is pretty far out in the woods (southwest of corvallis), have never seen or heard them out there. There does seem to be some fox poop in the road.

The foxpro I have works great, just wondering if I need to get all the anti-cent stuff or am I just playing the wind wrong...

Nate

I've never messed around with scent stuff. Just bathe with a not so stinky soap and don't wear crazy deodorant.

I do situate myself with the sun at my back though. Not always, but I have been spotted by yotes in the past when I didn't. Mostly this was because I was trying to get the to stop with a yip from a mouth call.

I saw one the other day on Patrol at Lincoln High football field in downtown Portland playing with a water bottle. Almost shot him with my duty pistol but ya know, Portland is weird about that stuff haha

Ive only been a couple times and had no luck. If any of you folks want a hunting buddy to go out with please let me know. Id love to give it another shot.

Don't feel bad; coyote hunting, especially in winter, is a difficult and often fruitless endeavor. Coyotes are one of the most cunning and suspicious animals in the woods and often detect you and leave the area long before you can get a shot at them. I read an article on coyote hunting that stated they can hear a field mouse under 2 feet of snow! They also roam a very large area in the winter when food sources are scarce, so without intel it's a crap shoot as to whether they will or won't be in the area you want to hunt on the day you plan to be there.

My suggestion is to get to know the neighbors around your properties, provide them with your phone number, and ask them to let you know immediately when they see coyotes in the area. When they call, be ready to drop what you're doing and go hunting!

My suggestion is to get to know the neighbors around your properties, provide them with your phone number, and ask them to let you know immediately when they see coyotes in the area. When they call, be ready to drop what you're doing and go hunting!

Would be great, but the City of Portland doesn't appreciate me hunting in city limits, but fortunately I think the neighbors would think it was another drive-by...

Friends of mine have a farm outside of Salem that is surrounded by grass Farms. They had coyotes coming in and killing their animals a few years back. I have never coyote hunting before and I couldn't find anybody from work who had. So a buddy of mine and I went out and scouted the area for a day. We saw two coyotes but they were about 300 400 yards out and we were set up for shots at that distance. One of the guys I work with his dad is a trapper, he brought us a 5 gallon bucket of Guts and other crap. We dump that along the edge of their property line and set up a makeshift blind early one morning. I shot at nine coyotes hitting five of them that day. Granted these ones were really hungry and were like desert coyotes.

140 yards from my office window this morning... Could have been a clean shot if it weren't have been through my back yard neighbor's house... and the house across the street from her... and well inside of Portland City Limits... and a residential area...

6a6d6b73d77233a2c1647d2fc3e31783.jpg.max800.jpg

Found a new place to try out, and managed to do so today

Bqc_bN3c2QJgXESdKAkmVURPJCj1Iht0SGGvs_q1Jr4Uw3xMIE.jpg

Has some good features, IMO. BLM land that was planted a few years ago. Borders a small ranch and plenty of water around. Not a big place, but seems friendly for the most part. I only ran two sets (1 & 2) here today before it got too warm for me and chased me out. I hadn't explored the lower half until today, but it looks even more promising to me.

While walking down the road towards the second set I did see a rabbit that let me get about 10 yards away from it, as well as coyote and deer tracks.

and this sign along the upper road (*)

lbP0e8r7PKLPNyPptsxfnkHi85doZa7f5scqYRqav4CcpqdvVs.jpg

If they add another zero to the number, it still wouldn't reach the nearest house.

There is a lot of cover to deal with. Besides the re-replant, there is a lot of witchhazel. I had to pick the areas with enough open space to get a clean shot if something had appeared. I understand now the advantage the shotgun has in this area over the rifle.

Another skunk, but I know I'll be back to the area again.

Years ago I went out to Ladd Marsh in dead winter duck/goose season. About 5" of snow on the ground. I set up a spread of duck decoys in a field where there was a lot of leftover wheat grains on the ground after harvest, which the birds had been flocking to. Then I put on my white knit hood with just the eyeholes showing, and sat down with a white sheet over my shoulders. Didn't get any ducks but after about an hour a 'yote showed up on the far edge of the field. He was looking at the decoys. About 10 minutes to work his way in. Belly slinking the last 10 yards, and then charging one of the decoys. CLUNK, went his teeth and he jumped straight up about 3' into the air. I could have shot him with my #4 heavy duck loads but I was laughing too hard!!!

Keep after the coyotes, they are excellent training for calling in other predators like lynx, Bears, Hawks and Eagles, Wolves, I spent a decade in Alaska in the 80's, man is it a paradise, even today.

I live out of town, have my own shooting range at home and do pop a coyote if they come in to close, have small dogs they would love to eat and a female yote was in love with my Rott, she would stand outside the fence and whine at him, would not leave more than behind the nearest juniper when i went out in the yard, strange.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top