I want to try Coyote hunting...

Discussion in 'Want To Try' started by Stangler, Aug 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Stangler

Stangler
    Tualatin, or

I have all the gear, and I've gone out a few times but no fur down. I've made about 10-15 stands, and on the second stand got 4 to show up. Of course they came in behind us, and by the time I got on one, I missed. After that it's been dry. Looking for someone that has experience, gear of their own, and some land. I don't plan on keeping the fur, will hunt over it or you can have it. I have some land (160 acre southwest of Corvallis or ~100 acre near Sweet Home), but not sure there are yotes on it. Sweet Home is the most promising of the land I have.

Nate

Baseacegoku and clearconscience like this.
  2. RatherDashing

RatherDashing
    Oregon

Lots of coyotes near Sweet Home usually. I live near there, but in town.

Baseacegoku likes this.
  3. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro
    Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

If you hit up Bob Horning, hornings hide out, on the right day, he'll let you shoot them on his land.

I've been out on his property twice and eradicated them for him.

Easiest thing to do is get an electric caller and a serenade call programmed on it. Play that at the crack of dawn and you'll know if there are yotes around.

I'll join you if you'd like, to see if you've got any on your land? I'm no expert but I'll sit around and read while hitting the button on my electric call till something shootable shows up.

4. Stangler

Stangler
    Tualatin, or

Good info. I'll look him up.

Found a yote skull on the edge of our property in sweethome (right on the river) as well as some yote poop (from the looks of it) so there might be luck on that land.

The other property is pretty far out in the woods (southwest of corvallis), have never seen or heard them out there. There does seem to be some fox poop in the road.

The foxpro I have works great, just wondering if I need to get all the anti-cent stuff or am I just playing the wind wrong...

Nate

5. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro
    Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

I've never messed around with scent stuff. Just bathe with a not so stinky soap and don't wear crazy deodorant.

I do situate myself with the sun at my back though. Not always, but I have been spotted by yotes in the past when I didn't. Mostly this was because I was trying to get the to stop with a yip from a mouth call.

6. Hotnhere

Hotnhere
    Washington

heck I saw a pack crossing the van mall parking lot! at 3am yesterday while driving to work. I guess there city slickers :)

308 likes this.
  7. Glock Jock

Glock Jock
    Wilsonville , OR
    Well-Known Member 2017 Volunteer

I want to start hunting again and thought coyote would be a good place.

bbbass likes this.
  8. bbbass

bbbass
    La Grande

Go for it!

9. coop44

coop44
    Tacoma ,WA

Hunted them in az, lucky to get them closer than 200 yds.

10. The Nothing

The Nothing
    PDX
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I've been trying too, but I know you can't always catch a fish on the first cast.

11. Jmbourg

Jmbourg
    Wilsonville, OR

I saw one the other day on Patrol at Lincoln High football field in downtown Portland playing with a water bottle. Almost shot him with my duty pistol but ya know, Portland is weird about that stuff haha

308, Dirtyflannel and The Nothing like this.
  12. Tikkakoski

Tikkakoski Active Member

Ive only been a couple times and had no luck. If any of you folks want a hunting buddy to go out with please let me know. Id love to give it another shot.

13. Defense Minister

Defense Minister
    Eugene/Springfield

Don't feel bad; coyote hunting, especially in winter, is a difficult and often fruitless endeavor. Coyotes are one of the most cunning and suspicious animals in the woods and often detect you and leave the area long before you can get a shot at them. I read an article on coyote hunting that stated they can hear a field mouse under 2 feet of snow! They also roam a very large area in the winter when food sources are scarce, so without intel it's a crap shoot as to whether they will or won't be in the area you want to hunt on the day you plan to be there.

My suggestion is to get to know the neighbors around your properties, provide them with your phone number, and ask them to let you know immediately when they see coyotes in the area. When they call, be ready to drop what you're doing and go hunting!

14. The Nothing

The Nothing
    PDX

Would be great, but the City of Portland doesn't appreciate me hunting in city limits, but fortunately I think the neighbors would think it was another drive-by...

Tikkakoski likes this.
  15. uscsoldier

uscsoldier
    Salem, OR
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Friends of mine have a farm outside of Salem that is surrounded by grass Farms. They had coyotes coming in and killing their animals a few years back. I have never coyote hunting before and I couldn't find anybody from work who had. So a buddy of mine and I went out and scouted the area for a day. We saw two coyotes but they were about 300 400 yards out and we were set up for shots at that distance. One of the guys I work with his dad is a trapper, he brought us a 5 gallon bucket of Guts and other crap. We dump that along the edge of their property line and set up a makeshift blind early one morning. I shot at nine coyotes hitting five of them that day. Granted these ones were really hungry and were like desert coyotes.

16. The Nothing

The Nothing
    PDX

140 yards from my office window this morning... Could have been a clean shot if it weren't have been through my back yard neighbor's house... and the house across the street from her... and well inside of Portland City Limits... and a residential area...

6a6d6b73d77233a2c1647d2fc3e31783.jpg.max800.jpg