JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Might as well spend big on glass too. As far as triggers go, any with a clean predictable break works.

I had a light (around 3-4 pound) trigger for the AK but there was no predictable break. Ended up replacing it with a trigger that is heavier but has a predictable break, and there was a lot of improvement just from that alone.
Im the same with triggers... I value a clean consistency over pull weight. the "glass rod" effect. My favorite is the POF 4.5lb single stage. Folks will debate 2 stage is better for precision, but truth is it's operators preference. For me I like single stage, and 4.5 pounds is plenty light. I can get a similar trigger pull from a milspec trigger with the adjustable grip screw and Kaw Valley spring kit... (<$20 from joe bob)and a little polishing.

Reading the tea leaves, I'm guessing you want a 16" barrel, Wylde chamber and maybe fluted ?
The one above is nitrided which is supposed to make the bore more resistant to wear.
I have one from AR Performance but I haven't shot it enough to comment.
It does harden, because smiths don't want to machine after the treatment.

I don't like the diamond flutes, but some do.
I like conventional fluting.
There is "standard" fluting, "narrow" fluting and boutique fluting. Black Hole Weaponry has pics of what I would call "boutique fluting."
Take a look here. This is not a boutique shop, Mr. Holliger supplies competition shooters and other folks that want good, no frills product.
There is a good pic of the fluting types if you toggle around...
Shop Barrels | White Oak Armament

I think this one was posted above and it's a bargain for what it is.
16" .223 Wylde SPR Fluted Midlength Stainless Steel AR 15 Barrel | Ballistic Advantage
Then grab the part # and go shopping...
Search results for BABL223017PL | gun.deals

For your BCG, Toolcraft from Monmouth Reloading has been the best deal lately.
AR15 Toolcraft Nickel Boron BCG - Monmouth USA
Crap, I've paid the same money for a no-name black phosphate BCG !
Something like the above was going for around $200 not long ago.

Last Edited:
Is the side charging handle just for aesthetics?

I so rarely use the charging handle it seems as it is. Now that I think about it, just one time when I first start shooting, otherwise the bolt is open and I put the new mag in and hit the bolt release.

I so rarely use the charging handle it seems as it is. Now that I think about it, just one time when I first start shooting, otherwise the bolt is open and I put the new mag in and hit the bolt release.
Some limb-challenged people (lefties) like them.
I happen to be gathering parts for likely my only side charger right now.
For me, it's just something different....range toy, to be honest.

So your not a fan? Explanation is needed! :D

Any modern AR is going to be chambered in 5.56 or Wylde. They will both swallow .223 or 5.56 with ease. I could care less if it's chambered in Wylde or 5.56. Then again, I don't shoot 80 grain match projectiles from my AR's so what do I know?

Any modern AR is going to be chambered in 5.56 or Wylde. They will both swallow .223 or 5.56 with ease. I could care less if it's chambered in Wylde or 5.56. Then again, I don't shoot 80 grain match projectiles from my AR's so what do I know?
A .223 Wylde chamber is a better chamber for a precision rig.
A 5.56 chrome plated bore/chamber is better for a patrol rig.

Pick 'em.

Pick 'em.

Exactly. I shoot cheap 55 grain bulk ammo so the Wylde chambering doesn't matter to me. I will say I do have an AR with the Wylde chamber, but I don't remember which one! :D

A charging handle on the side is more convenient than where it is on the AR.
Some limb-challenged people (lefties) like them.
I happen to be gathering parts for likely my only side charger right now.
For me, it's just something different....range toy, to be honest.
This depends entirely on WHAT side the charging handle is on. Left handed shooters benefit from it being on the right side, right handed shooters benefit from it being on the left side.
Mk262 is a 77 gr 5.56 round used for the DMRs. Don't need .223 wylde for it.

That being said, I don't see how one can objectively say that a .223 wylde chamber is more accurate given that there's too many variables that it can be any one thing that's making the difference.

Could get a .223 wylde 1/7 barrel... But like I said I don't see how you can objectively say it would be more accurate. I can see where it would be potentially more accurate, but that does not translate into realistically being more accurate.

IMG_3021.JPG
8 shots With my 18" Spr profile Balistics Advantage barrel 1/8 twist .223 wylde chamber. Run of the mill Federal m193 55grain ball ammo.
The 3 farthest to the right that aren't touching were shot first cold clean bore with a vortex 6-18 scope that I hadn't even sighted in yet. The guy I bought it from sold it to me still mounted to American Defense QD mount, and evidently our uppers were very similar because I just sent a quick trio to see where it was at put my rifle down... walked the 100 yards to the target to varify I was actually almost hitting the bullseye... respectable 1" group. Not bad for a hasty warm up.
then I went back settled down and sent 5 more. This time trying to keep it tight... all 5 same hole 1/2" moa. no scope adjustments needed.
a testament to both the barrel and the ADrecon scope mount.
.223 wylde is just fine for an all around rifle. I wouldn't go 18 spr profile, only because of the extra weight, but I don't see any disadvantages to using a 16" fluted .223 wylde for a GTW or all around carbine. short and light enough to pack around all day, but accurate enough for the long game. in the words of the great Hanna Montana..." you get the best of both worlds"

I put the same scope/mount on my new upper with a Noveske 18" spr 1:7 556 last weekend and it was dead on without adjustment too. weird huh.

Pick 'em.

So I am just trying to learn some things here. Why wouldn't a wylde be good for a patrol rig?

And side not my BCG came with my upper that ordered. You can see them if you click the link in my OP

So I am just trying to learn some things here. Why wouldn't a wylde be good for a patrol rig?

And side not my BCG came with my upper that ordered. You can see them if you click the link in my OP

I think either one would be fine, but I don't have a preference. A good ol' mil-spec 5.56 chamber is GTG.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top