JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMO a LPK is a LPK, trigger notwithstanding. Maybe add some KNS dogbones instead of the factory pins too.
except when you buy 3 anderson kits and get the FCG, a trigger guard, buffer retainer and spring, trig guard pin, a bolt catch and pin, 2 bolt catch plungers, no plunger spring, mag release assembly,3 take down pin detents, 1 take down pin spring and 2 selector switch springs, selector switch, no selector detent........in all 3 kits.

I like Geiselle triggers.

You can use someone like Red Barn Armory to hand pick your lower kit the way you want it.
Primary Arms now has individual lower parts.

The pistol grip is a personal thing and there are many nice ones.
I like the Hogue with the finger grooves.

You can subtly sex it up with a LWRC bolt release and a Forward Controls mag release button.
Very subtle that only an AR aficionado would notice.
There is a ton of bolt-on crap for lowers that I am not a fan of.

I can't do the cassette triggers that don't self-retain their pins.
Not a fan of E-clips, button heads or dog bones on the outside of my receiver.

Of all the drop-ins, I think only the Wilson Combat can self-retain its pins.

Vltor A5 buffer system - must for Pistol, Carbine or Mid gas systems.
PWS ratcheting endplate/castle nut - if you're less than confident in your staking, or just want to be able to change things and reuse the parts.
Check out ArmsUnlimited if you want an ambi mag catch--very similar to Norgon, at like a quarter the price.

Check out OpticsPlanet, they get some good deals--right now they have a 10%-off-every-order-over-$100 that ends tonight IIRC. Also, don't hesitate to look at eBay (other than icky paypal) -- NEVER pay full MSRP! And NEVER buy from Gun Mag Scamhouse!

I have used the CMMG "KIT" in my last two builds, and have had zero issues! Quality seems good, and the price was very good!
I'm sure there are other "Better Kits" but I honestly don't see a need! It's not a high zoot race gun, and even then, you have to ask WHY?!?!?!

OK guys what is the best spring kit to buy with all the detents and stuff in it? Does it matter on the make? Is there one better than the other?
I don't know if there is such a kit, other than a bare bones LPK from a shop like Red Barn Armory.
There are others that sell bare bones LPK's, too.
Unless you know what small parts you want, print out the labeled LPK image over at AR15.com
(you could also do a Google Image search for it)
Then make your list and go to a shop like Primary Arms that sells individual LPK parts.
Citizen's Armory used to be good for small parts as well.

To answer your other question, I consider these to be commodity parts and most likely many come from the same plant.

I second DirectDrive on the Geissele triggers. I have a two-stage 3.5 lb SD-E on my build. Yeah, they cost a pretty penny. Outstanding for the bench. Super Dynamic Enhanced (SD-E) Trigger

I have a 2-stage CMMG on the DPMS at, I believe, 4.5 lbs. It is my coyote gun. I picked it up at a show for $90. Love it.

I second Boboclown on the LH side charging upper. I have a Fulton Armory RH with a YHM BCG on my build and it lacks in ergonomics. Still quite functional though, and retains the standard charging handle if you choose to remove the BCG charging lever/handle.

Good luck with your build. I had a lot of fun.

A lot of you know that I am doing some 80% lowers. I want to build a nice AR out of one of them and want to get your guys ideas and thoughts on parts.

Goal is to build a really nice handling, fairly light weight AR for steel plate shooting, home defense (more so on my property)but it would be nice to reach out to 4-500 yds if I want to bench shoot it.

If there is no option I will spend the money but would like to keep the cost down as much as possible the upper that I am going with is a side charge. I have always wanted one.

DLP Arms.com

I know a lot of you have built way more AR's than I have so let me hear it what do you love and hate and why. What parts would you finish your lower with?

@Kruejl has given me some ideas now I want to hear yours.
A bit more money but a carbon Fiber barrel will give you a Bull Barrel accuracy with a pencil barrel weight. If you can afford a good one you will never regret it.

A bit more money but a carbon Fiber barrel will give you a Bull Barrel accuracy with a pencil barrel weight. If you can afford a good one you will never regret it.

I have actually been looking at some of those. I ordered some of the parts and pieces already. Hoping the upper will be here next week. :)

I try to find a lower parts kit that doesn't have the fire control group, or a grip, they end up in a box anyway. detents, springs, and pins aren't anything special, so I just get whatever LPK is cheap. Haven't been shorted any parts yet.

I second the CMC trigger and ergo grips

I have built a few AR's (5.56, .300 Pistol and .458 SBR) and I operate under the dictum of "better one great gun than many good ones", ergo I research extensively and go with what I have found to be "the best" no matter the cost. Three items that go (and will go) into all my builds:

1. Giesselle SSA-E trigger
2. Cryptic Coatings BCG in Mystic Black
3. JP Enterprises Silent Captured Recoil Buffer Spring Assembly Gen 2

The trigger is pure bliss and the BCG/Buffer spring combo is unearthly smooth.

Finally before you go with a ergo grip -- try the Magpul MOE K-2 grip (not the K-2+, it was too big for my hands and I have some meathooks...). I landed on the K-2 grip as perfect after buying and returning over 16 other grips -- including the ergo's...

I did buy a Bear Creek upper two years or so ago for $300 I think, it is left side only, side charging handle and it reciprocates as the DLP does. Side Chargers were far and few between at the time. I have never fired it, but I still have it. There are some non-reciprocating side chargers out there now. I lost interest.
I have two CMC triggers my first went in my first build, a 4.5 pound straight shoe. I have that first build and just naturally reach for it if just taking one AR.
My Second CMC has some LanTac parts and is 3.5 pounds, I think it's better but hard to say if the slight difference is due to the lighter weight pull or the precision parts, or a Combo, but the regular CMC will work well.
I have a bunch of others too, for a two stage (long range shooting mostly) the Ruger 452 is a good bet. I like single stage for most of my shooting.
I need to put together several more for no earthly reason, but I do.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top