JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I am just trying to learn some things here. Why wouldn't a wylde be good for a patrol rig?

And side not my BCG came with my upper that ordered. You can see them if you click the link in my OP
A 5.56 chamber is more tolerant than a .223 wylde chamber, and will be more reliable as a result. But for civilians not noticeable. And like the accuracy with .223 wylde, its hypothetical.

It could be more accurate or it could be more reliable, but anecdotal evidence can go either way.

So if the wylde is only 50 dollars more why not put one on? If it does shoot more accurate its worth it. o_O
It depends on what you want your rifle for.
If you want to shoot 2 liters, bowling pins and dirt with cheap Russian ammo, just get a low cost barrel.
If you want to paint the diamond corners on your Redfield target, you might want a barrel designed for precision shooting.

So that makes sense. Thanks you!

I am not trying to be a pain here guys just want to learn what I can before I spend a bunch of money and wish I would have done something else.
Isn't it fun putting up with all our biases while trying to learn something ?
Well, at least you know we are all opinionated and slightly nutty (not me, the others).

:D

East Coast bedtime must have hit....< DD does a quick 360 >
:)

Last Edited:
It depends on what you want your rifle for.
If you want to shoot 2 liters, bowling pins and dirt with cheap Russian ammo, just get a low cost barrel.
If you want to paint the diamond corners on your Redfield target, you might want a barrel designed for precision shooting.

And then there is me who want to do both! :D

I am at eight I think and contemplating two more. Most are Mid length 1/8 16" 223 Wylde, I do have a Noveske complete Upper 1/7 18" Wylde, and a couple 5.56 (that work just fine).
I am not a fan of barrels less than 16". Fluting looks nice, and I have a couple, but I would rather have as thin a barrel as accuracy will allow. The extra metal might be useful in extended engagements, but it is heavy after awhile. I am no longer a warfighter.
I don't count my two AR pistols.

Pencil barrels are durable, especially if they are chrome lined (CHF is a nice bonus to that). There is an advantage to saving weight.*

* This is coming from a guy who will hike with a rifle that weighs about 10 pounds unloaded without an optic.

ballistic advantage
This ^^^
That 16" middy/fluted I linked above is arguably the best buy right now (as in the US) for a barrel of that quality.
For a gas block, you haven't shown any interest in a FSB, so I will assume a free float handguard ?
If so, you will want a good, steel low pro GB....there are several good ones to choose from.
Pinned is most secure but that's not a Kitchen Table Gun Plumbers item.
In lieu of that, set screw isn't bad and they suck the GB down over the barrel's gas port. Clamp-on in theory can spin but under a handguard, it's pretty safe.

Railed GB's are funky, IMO. There are better options that combine a front sight and GB for a more pro appearance.

If you are shopping a handguard there are some decent moderate cost units on the market now.
MI and Aero come to mind. You'll be faced with Keymod or M-Lok.
I've never liked Keymod because it reminds me of warehouse shelving (the idea came from that system).
M-Lok seems like it is going to be the more prevalent of the two and I think it looks cleaner.
I'm a biased AR owner, though.

:)

Last Edited:
I have railed and smooth Gas Blocks, the biggest thing I have discovered, is the railed gas blocks could have a different rail height than the upper receiver's rail height. So a higher base on the front sight might be necessary to get proper sight alignment. Another thing do not use polymer sights on a gas block, they can melt there bases and spoil your zero. Metal sights are usually heavier and more expensive.

These days I prefer a smooth adjustable gas block with a long 15" handguard. I put my sights on the receiver and the end of the handguard

On the muzzle I don't feel that you need a muzzle brake with the light recoil of 5.56 or .223, but if one allows for a easy on and off of a suppressor, then they make sense.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top