JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I decided to start my own thread for this gun, it's getting deep into making it functionable...
Here's the video of the journey so far...
After some serious gas to the face I wiped out a cap for the gas key slot... now on the the light strikes.
Aguila 150gn brass FMJBT rounds for testing. Every other round are taking 2 strike to light. So I started looking at the struck ones and they look like shallow strikes pushed back in the bolt. I had to do some clearance grinds on the hammer to get function so I added metal back. No different almost worse. So I start looking at the hammer more and decided to add a clearance cut at the face of the hammer where the bolt catch is. A serious improvement! Hammer swinging far enough to get good penetration. Verified with a clay filled dummy round , my quick and dirty indent gauge! Full power hammer Springs are in the mail. My 308 AR10 has always had this issue. And this gun is made of most of those parts. Forgive my butt ugly hammer, it's more make it work. If I had to do it all over I'd make the lower buffer tube tower higher to avoid some of these issues.

20230806_201138.jpg 20230807_172823.jpg 20230807_172327.jpg

Some wax would work as well.
I was messing around with the hammer spring and put it on backwards lol. So flip it and my light strikes are gone. I R sMarT bilder.
Only issue is FTE , tried swapping to my AERO bolt not much change. Noticing deep extractor marks and all rounds going in super tight. Off to the bore scope I go. I found some serious gunk in the shoulder.
Something I've noticed with all the rounds the fired ones are super tight around the body.
If they extract easier I should get better ejection.
I'm shooting 165gn BTSP w/ 45gn of 223CFE

20230809_192317.jpg 20230809_165044.jpg 20230808_103933.jpg

Looks like weak, inconsistent ejection. Is it sticking in the chamber?
I'm seeing some carbon depots in the shoulder... I thought I scrubbed them all out.
It's starting to get fun to shoot, added some anti walk pins and filed the sear a tiny bit as it was getting stuck on the sear (had to push the trigger forward to reset).

Are RCBS AR small base dies worth it?
I have 2 sets of regular RCBS 308 dies, mixed brass sucks to size and some of the sealed in primers love to break the decapping rods :(

I've always used full length dies for the 308 semi stuff. You got some military brass mixed in that might be breaking the pins?
Exactly. But they're not Berdan primed just sealed and staked. I have a bunch of Aguila that is crimped primers but I'm able to punch them out. I don't like having to ream all the pockets but dowhatyouhavetodo. I have some starline on order for the future.

Exactly. But they're not Berdan primed just sealed and staked. I have a bunch of Aguila that is crimped primers but I'm able to punch them out. I don't like having to ream all the pockets but dowhatyouhavetodo. I have some starline on order for the future.
I went through a few decapping pins before I went to a punch and hammer for staked primers. They're not really worth it unless you have a bunch of them and not many good cases.

Yeah, Berdan are a different ball of wax. Hard to even find their primers. Anyway, if you have lots of the crimped military cases, look into a swager instead. Goes faster and you don't lose material from the case. Since I deal with lots of military brass I got one of the Dillon swagers, works great.

The 308 version is finally running complete mag dumps no fails. Might be more reliable than when it was an LR308 lol.
So next project- 22 creedmoor. Started with a 1:7 valkyrie barrel and punched it up to 22 creed. Then realized it was an old 22 creed reamer with a 22-250 Freebore. So in goes a 22 throating reamer. Plenty long for those 88gn and even 95gn bullets.
Some mods to a BCA upper and I think this one is gonna actually lock back. Burnt bronze cerakote, not my job but it'll do.

20231109_121506.jpg 20231106_140516.jpg 20231024_071953.jpg

I ran a few test loads , pretty sure they were proof loads lol. Quickload was miles off on this one. 40gn of 6.5stalbal and 88gn ELD-Ms = hot
Should be more like 36gn but I think it's time to switch to a magnum powder like stabal HD.

1000002098.jpg