JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Fal's used to fill this niche for me but just got a little too spendy to shoot as much as I would like. Got to love a rifle with military roots that just runs.
M14/M1a did for me, which is why I got into AKs to begin with, the AK was designed using the M1 Garand and StG 44 as inspiration. The manual of arms between two are nearly identical.

AKs...because even a 10 year old child can operated one (and they do)...

1678833614523.jpeg 1678833620003.jpeg 1678833637649.jpeg 1678833711029.jpeg 1678833730560.jpeg

Wear gloves. Especially for support hand. Ak gas tube gets hot, and is in a perfect spot for oopsies. But hey, who needs a thumbprint anyway, right?
I can second this. I brought my AK's out two weekends ago and thought myself above the gloves. Lightly crisped me hands shooting my spiker and my Saiga (which has a heat shield) was a bit better but still got warm. The only AK that didnt burn my hands that day was the trusty 'ole Maadi!

Or make adjustment and then there is changing sights, deciding they suck and have to change back or try something else. :s0092:
I am going to start with stock sights and go from there, but tinkering is bound to happen with all aspects of the rifle. I am viewing this as a trainer rifle to learn on. At a very early age I always had to take all my toys apart to see what made them tick and to modify them. This big boy toy will be no different only I'd like to think I am better at putting things back together now.

I am going to start with stock sights and go from there, but tinkering is bound to happen with all aspects of the rifle. I am viewing this as a trainer rifle to learn on. At a very early age I always had to take all my toys apart to see what made them tick and to modify them. This big boy toy will be no different only I'd like to think I am better at putting things back together now.
Wait til you really get the mod bug and want to Spetsnaz one out. Your wallet will hate you but it will be awesome lol

Well, my PSA AK showed up this week. I took it home and gave it a good look inside and out. First impressions are pretty good. She is pretty light, coming in at just under 7# with no mag. There are no game stopping defects but a few annoying ones.
First the good. Fit and finish are overall good. Rivets all look evenly done and tight to the receiver. Spot welds have full penetration but are not close to burned through and are all evenly executed. The gas tube lever can be moved by hand but takes decent effort, it seems to hold gas tube in place well. The sights are on straight! The optic rail is also mounted to receiver straight. The operation of the safety is about as I think it should be. The trigger is fairly light (3.75 #) but doesn't really have a defined wall and has a rolling break. The reset on the trigger is good. The gun looked to be test fired and barrel was slightly dirty. After a quick clean the rifling looks great with no obvious defects. They also did not over torque the muzzle device before pinning and welding, as I could see no telltale ring in the bore. Inside all the parts fit and mesh correctly with no abnormalities. It passed go/no go gauges without a problem.
The bad. Front sight is looser than a goose and does not stay where adjusted to. I guess this is a known psa deficiency 🙄. The triangle folding stock seems a bit crude and could have stood to be made out of a slightly thicker gauge material. It does lock up tight as it looks like it was custom fit judging by all the filings in the recess they didn't bother cleaning out. The flat portion of the gas tube lever mechanism is scratched and missing most of it's finish. Overall it is decent and I am not down on it at all as I am sure I can remedy what ails it.
I took it out a shot it today and it went well, other than the front sight post doing the spin move. I shot about 40 rounds total without a hiccup using a mix of steel and brass cased ammo. I even shot a few soft points. It functioned flawlessly using 5 different mag types and it shows some good accuracy potential as well. It is overgassed which is par for the course I guess. The lop is too short for me which is also pretty common I gather.
Changes I have planned sooner than later are:
Fix the front sight( I have a slimmer front sight post ordered but will dig into it to see if I can tighten the oem post without resorting to loctite. I have an alg trigger I will put in and put the stock parts on the shelf as spares. I also have an extra power alg recoil spring to help some with the overgassed state. I will then shoot the bejesus out of it and try and find other weak points. I am overall pleased and it will be a fun diversion learning the ins and outs of all things Ak.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads