JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all. I'm about to put together my first AR and I could use some advice. I'm going to use a Fightlite SCR lower and chamber it in 223/556. I have some AR 550 steel targets that I really enjoy using and I shoot them as close as 50 yards with my AK (they are tilted down 20 degrees and I've had no ricochets so far). I'd like to shoot these same targets with the AR but my understanding is that the bullet velocity should be no higher than 2800 fps (at 50 yards) or it will damage the steel. I'm planning to use a 16 inch barrel to keep velocity lower and I probably won't shoot the rifle further than 200 yards anyway.

My questions are: Am I correct that the two most affordable and plentiful bullet weights are 55 grain and 62 grain? Do I need to design the rifle around 62 grain ammo to help keep the velocity below 2800 fps at 50 yards? If so, does that mean I need to have a "fast" twist rate in the barrel? Is there anything else I can do to keep the velocity down? Should I buy a "wylde" barrel so that I can shoot both 2.23 and 5.56?

Thanks for any help, guys. I'll be getting a professional to put the rifle together for me since I don't know what I'm doing.

1:7 twist rate, learn to load your own to keep velocity down or get a 14.5" barrel and pin/weld it. Or even shorter if you like. I have a 13.9" pin/weld AR that I really like. Don't know about velocity out of it, though

Do I need to design the rifle around 62 grain ammo to help keep the velocity below 2800 fps at 50 yards? If so, does that mean I need to have a "fast" twist rate in the barrel? Is there anything else I can do to keep the velocity down? Should I buy a "wylde" barrel so that I can shoot both 2.23 and 5.56?
Your overthinking this. First and foremost... build the AR rifle you want. Targets are cheap in comparison and replaceable.

Second, from what I read AR550 are designed for 223/556 over 3000fps. So your good to go anyways...

Third, get the Wylde chamber and a faster twist... but thats my personal preference. Note: you can shoot 223 in a 556 as well but the Wylde chamber is optimal.

The best way to keep from making pock marks in the target with 5.56 is to have it 100 yds away.
Inside that and it'll leave a mark, I just smooth it out with a die grinder and rollok disk.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top