JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK OK I know this is an old topic and I have done some searching here as well as the web but I would like to get a some input/list of quality on ARs. I am looking to spend about up to 1K + or -. Use will be home distance (hopefully never) short to medium distances at the range, and alot of fun shooting.
So here is what I have found what do you think? Again I am an AR Newbie and am looking to get info about the quality/warranty.
Thanks in advance to all the AR experts out there. Oh what is a good ammo to shoot as well?:D

Noveske
colt
LMT
BCM
Troy
Stag
Olympic Arms
Rock River Arms
Bushmaster

Personally, I think BCM is about the best AR for the money.

I love my Noveske, but be prepared to spend a lot more $$$ for one.

Daniel Defense, S&W, and Colt are good too. Look at the classifieds on this forum or local retail places in your area for the best buy.

If you want an LMT, LWRC, Noveske, KAC, or other AR in that class, save your $$$ and do some research on what's best for you and why you want it.

Bushmaster, Rock River, and Stag are fine for the occasional shooter who is mostly going to do recreational shooting. If your time at the range justifies your spending more, look at the higher tier rifles later on. Also, you can always buy new parts and accessories to make improvements/adjustments.

Personally, I think BCM is about the best AR for the money.

I love my Noveske, but be prepared to spend a lot more $$$ for one.

Daniel Defense, S&W, and Colt are good too. Look at the classifieds on this forum or local retail places in your area for the best buy.

If you want an LMT, LWRC, Noveske, KAC, or other AR in that class, save your $$$ and do some research on what's best for you and why you want it.

Bushmaster, Rock River, and Stag are fine for the occasional shooter who is mostly going to do recreational shooting. If your time at the range justifies your spending more, look at the higher tier rifles later on. Also, you can always buy new parts and accessories to make improvements/adjustments.

This pretty much sums up what I've read on the dedicated AR forums.

Walmart, Northwest Armory and Curt's Discount all have Colt LE6920 carbines for a few bucks under $1,100...that's probably the best deal in ARs out there right now. Paying for the Pony also means that your resale value will generally be higher as well.

Keith

Disagree with using an AR for home defense, but I'll just leave it at that since it's likely to open a can of worms.

To clarify my first choice of home defense is my shotgun so this would be more of a zombie/have fun gun.

Thanks for the input very helpful, when I buy something I like to purchase a good quality firearm. I have been looking at this forum and I think I have seen some good prices for the rifles offered no matter the brand.

Are there any thoughts on Troy? How do they stack up? Again many thanks for your advice.

Are there any thoughts on Troy? How do they stack up? Again many thanks for your advice.
If you're talking about the Troy 5.56 Carbine for $799 at Dick's Sporting Goods, that's an excellent deal.

But if you missed the boat on that price, look around for a Colt 6920 for ~$1000.

PSA also has some good deals for the holidays. This one caught my eye: <broken link removed>

It comes with an Aimpoint PRO, which runs ~$350 by itself, so the rifle/optic package for $999 is a good deal.

Look at the stickies and threads on AR15.com and M4carbine.net to answer your in-depth questions. There's no way one thread here will be able to answer all of the questions you can think of (as well as those you didn't) for you to make a truly informed decision. I'm still going to recommend the Colt LE 6920 as a good first rifle, however others like the PSA/Aimpoint combo above may fit your bill better.

Keith

Look at the stickies and threads on AR15.com and M4carbine.net to answer your in-depth questions. There's no way one thread here will be able to answer all of the questions you can think of (as well as those you didn't) for you to make a truly informed decision. I'm still going to recommend the Colt LE 6920 as a good first rifle, however others like the PSA/Aimpoint combo above may fit your bill better.

Keith

Thanks Keith and everone that gave input.

Keep in mind that if you buy the rifle fully assembled, you're paying the 11% excise tax on new firearms.

If you buy a lower and upper and assemble it yourself (in 5 seconds)...no tax.

The AR-15 is one of the most DIY-friendly platforms.

So You Want to Buy an AR-15 - Features to Consider

Awesome artilcle Raindog, I had been to that sight and did some reading but didn't see that info. Thanks

Keep in mind that if you buy the rifle fully assembled, you're paying the 11% excise tax on new firearms.

If you buy a lower and upper and assemble it yourself (in 5 seconds)...no tax.

The AR-15 is one of the most DIY-friendly platforms.

So You Want to Buy an AR-15 - Features to Consider

Thanks Raindog I have been there as well as other sites but I didn't see that article. I appreciate it. Workin

I have two AR 15s. One purchased about 6-7 years back and the other I just recently purchased a couple years back. My first one was an Olympic Arms and the other is a DPMS. Each one of these firearms cost me less than 700 dollars out the door. I've been very happy with them. No misfires, no failure to eject. just like any other tool you have to remember to take care of your weapon after you're done shooting it and it'll serve you for years to come. good luck with your purchase, and slap some pics up here when you bring it home

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top