JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
...Or any other semi automatic rifle with detachable magazines

From the 2016 Oregon Hunting Regulations page 27:
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/big_game/docs/16ORHD_LR.pdf

Centerfire firearm
•Fully automatic firearms prohibited.
Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine
capacity greater than five cartridges
prohibited
(except for western gray
squirrel).
•Military or full-metal jacket bullets in
original or altered form prohibited.
•Hunters may use any muzzleloader with
any ignition type, except matchlock, any
legal sight, any propellant, or any bullet
type during centerfire firearm seasons,
provided the weapon meets caliber
restriction for the species

Question - is it legal in Oregon to use a 10 round magazine that has a 5 round limiter in place when hunting? Or does the above mean that since I can put a magazine in the rifle that holds over 5 rounds it can't be used?

Obviously regular hunting ammunition would be used.

I'd give them a call for verification, recording who, when and any credentials you can get over the phone....

But it sounds like a five round magazine, even with a limiter, would fulfill the requirement...

Think about semi-automatic or pump shotguns, you just put a plug in to limit the capacity...

I would think the same principle would apply here...

Just my .02, and worth every penny paid for it :)

Whew!! I misread the title the first time, and I thought it read:
Hunting with the A10 in Oregon!

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.a10a.eu%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F07%2FA-10_Thunderbolt_II_Gun_Run.jpe

Hey Pa, I got one!!!!!!

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.a10a.eu%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F07%2FA-10_Thunderbolt_II_Gun_Run.jpe

I'd give them a call for verification, recording who, when and any credentials you can get over the phone....

But it sounds like a five round magazine, even with a limiter, would fulfill the requirement...

Think about semi-automatic or pump shotguns, you just put a plug in to limit the capacity...

I would think the same principle would apply here...

Just my .02, and worth every penny paid for it :)

I did just pop that question to their e-mail address - I'll report back what they say.

Honestly I prefer to hunt with a bolt action, but wanted to know just in case.

Centerfire firearm
capacity greater than five cartridges prohibited
(except for western gray squirrel).
•Military or full-metal jacket bullets in original or altered form prohibited.
•Hunters may use any muzzleloader with any ignition type, except matchlock, any legal sight, any propellant, or any bullet type during centerfire firearm seasons, provided the weapon meets caliber restriction for the species

Question - is it legal in Oregon to use a 10 round magazine that has a 5 round limiter in place when hunting? Or does the above mean that since I can put a magazine in the rifle that holds over 5 rounds it can't be used?

My personal experience was using a 10 round mag with a block limiting it to 5-rounds total. (1) in the chamber and (4) in the mag. I made my own block. When I was hunting over by Pine Mountain a DFW officer asked about it and I showed him the limit to the mag and he responded positively.

Centerfire firearm
prohibited
(except for western gray
squirrel).

Fulton Armory has 5 round mags in stock, if you would feel better hunting with one in your gun:

http://www.fulton-armory.com/magazi...i-tilt-follower-crsi-spring-black-finish.aspx.

As far as ammo goes, does your 308 AR have a short barrel? If it does, it would benefit from using Federal's 308 MSR load, which is optimized to produce higher velocity out of shorter barrels. If one shops around, you can generally find it online for around $20 for a box of 20:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/85768

Some testing of the ammo in 20% ballistic gelatin by Brass Fletcher Ballistic Testing. It looks like it could kill most anything, with good shot placement. It produces a very large wound cavity, but also offers good penetration too. Good energy transfer.

Last Edited:
Agreed. The limiter should cover you like a plug in the shotgun. Just don't have a 20 or 25 round mag hanging around while hunting. That could look bad.

Agreed. The limiter should cover you like a plug in the shotgun. Just don't have a 20 or 25 round mag hanging around while hunting. That could look bad.

It would be no problem if you were hunting something like rockchucks or coyotes, though. :D

predator_hunt_ar_5.jpg

I think that in some states high caps would be legal for pigs too. Aren't they considered to be a varmint in many states?

Deer-Hog-Hunt-4-web.jpg

And then why limit yourself to just 20 rounds, when you can get a 50 round 308 drum from X-Products???? :eek:

12540599_1021739607867347_4592815458665211476_n.jpg

predator_hunt_ar_5.jpg

Deer-Hog-Hunt-4-web.jpg

12540599_1021739607867347_4592815458665211476_n.jpg

Yes legal with 5 round magazine.

Unless you are hunting predator/pests such as Coyotes, rabbits.

As promised, here is the response from ODFW:

To: 3MTA3
Subject: RE: Question Regarding Hunting With Detachable Magazines
I would recommend that you direct this question to Oregon State Police.

Thank you
Brain Dead Bureaucrat That Can't Interpret His Own Rules
ODFW

Sent: Monday, January 11, 2016 10:33 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Question Regarding Hunting With Detachable Magazines

Hello,

I have a question about hunting big game using a semi-automatic rifle that has detachable magazines. The magazines available for my rifle hold a minimum of 10 rounds, however there is a device I can put in the magazine that reduces the capacity to 5. This device can be removed, however it looks like I could also permanently glue it in place. Would this allow me to legally use this rifle for hunting big game in Oregon?

Thanks,
3MTA3

Yes, the answer is to ask another State agency that has nothing to do with the rules I asked them to interpret. :confused:

I'm just going to get the 5 round mags and keep them for this purpose.

Centerfire firearm
prohibited
(except for western gray
squirrel).

Yep a low cap (5rd) magazine . Soft point type ammo for deer and elk and similar game mammals.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top