JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can permanently modify 10 round magazines to hold 5. That would mean a permanent block in it, rivets etc to block more than 5 rounds.

Magpul makes 5 round blockers for their 10 round AR-15 mags that work for that purpose.

Doubt isn't the problem. Defining what "permanent" means is.

I hunt with a M1 Garand all the time. I single load and have no clips on my person! I do have a few modded clips but haven't figured out how to get them to feed! I also use a 03 springfield and it holds more then five, but have yet to be confronted about it!

I hunt with a M1 Garand all the time. I single load and have no clips on my person! I do have a few modded clips but haven't figured out how to get them to feed! I also use a 03 springfield and it holds more then five, but have yet to be confronted about it!

That Springfield ain't no semi automatic is it? A non semi automatic rifle could have a 100 round drum on it legally.

It is stated right in the Hunting regs. Rules on firearms and capacity for semi autos.
Unless for some reason they left it out of this years regs. It has been in all other regulations for previous years.

Question Answered :)
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/big_game/regulations/weapons.asp

General Provisions

Centerfire Firearm

• Fully automatic firearms prohibited.

• Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine capacity greater than five cartridges prohibited (except for western gray squirrel).

• Military or full-metal jacket bullets in original or altered form prohibited.

• Hunters may use any muzzleloader with any ignition type, except matchlock, any legal sight, any propellant, or any bullet type during centerfire firearm seasons, provided the weapon meets caliber restriction for the species.
Shotgun

• Shotgun is a smooth bore firearm, designed for firing bird shot, and intended to be fired from the shoulder, with a barrel length of 18 inches or more, and with an overall length of 26 inches or more.

• Shotguns equipped with rifled slug barrels are considered shotguns when used for hunting pronghorn, bear, cougar, deer, or elk when centerfire rifles or shotguns are legal weapons.
Muzzleloader

• Scopes (permanent and detachable), and sights that use batteries, artificial light or energy are not allowed during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only, except for visually impaired hunters who have a visual acuity of ≤ 20/200 with lenses or visual field of ≤ 20 degrees (a permit is required; please see page 86). Open and peep sights made from alloys, plastic, or other materials that do not have the properties described above are legal sights. Fiber optics and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights are legal.

• It is illegal to hunt with on-lead bullets, jacketed bullets, sabots, and bullets with plastic or synthetic bases during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. Conical lead or lead alloy bullets with a length that does not exceed twice the diameter and lead or lead alloy round balls used with cloth, paper, or felt patches are allowed.

• It is illegal to hunt with centerfire primers as an ignition source during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.

• It is illegal to hunt with pelletized powders or propellants during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. Granular (loose) black powder and black powder substitutes are the only legal propellants during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.

• No other firearm may be used for hunting during a muzzleloader-only season (See definition page 10 or regulations book).

• Muzzleloading firearms with revolving actions are prohibited during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.
Archery

• Broadhead blades must be fixed, unbarbed, and at least 7/8" wide (except for western gray squirrel). It is illegal to hunt with or possess mechanical or moveable blade broadheads when hunting game mammals except Western gray squirrel.

• Beginning in 2006, there is no restriction limiting the maximum let-off for compound bows used for hunting in Oregon; since 1990, let off had been restricted to no more than 65%.

• No device secured to or supported by a bow may be used to maintain the bow at full draw.

• No electronic devices may be attached to bow or arrow.

• No device that supports or guides the arrow from a point rearward of the bow string when the bow is at rest (undrawn) may be secured to or supported by a bow's riser. Overdraws meeting this restriction are legal during archery seasons.

It is stated right in the Hunting regs. Rules on firearms and capacity for semi autos.
Unless for some reason they left it out of this years regs. It has been in all other regulations for previous years.

This is the section that deals with it, but note how loose the language is. It could be interpreted that any aemiautomatic that can accept a magazine that holds greater than 5 rounds is illegal. It could mean that a 5 round or a larger magazine limited to 5 rounds could be legal. The reason I asked the question and why I wrote ODFW is because of that poorly written definition.

Centerfire firearm
•Fully automatic firearms prohibited.
Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine
capacity greater than five cartridges
prohibited (except for western gray
squirrel).
•Military or full-metal jacket bullets in
original or altered form prohibited.
•Hunters may use any muzzleloader with
any ignition type, except matchlock, any
legal sight, any propellant, or any bullet
type during centerfire firearm seasons,
provided the weapon meets caliber
restriction for the species

This is the section that deals with it, but note how loose the language is. It could be interpreted that any aemiautomatic that can accept a magazine that holds greater than 5 rounds is illegal. It could mean that a 5 round or a larger magazine limited to 5 rounds could be legal. The reason I asked the question and why I wrote ODFW is because of that poorly written definition.

Centerfire firearm
•Fully automatic firearms prohibited.
Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine
capacity greater than five cartridges
prohibited
(except for western gray
squirrel).
•Military or full-metal jacket bullets in
original or altered form prohibited.
•Hunters may use any muzzleloader with
any ignition type, except matchlock, any
legal sight, any propellant, or any bullet
type during centerfire firearm seasons,
provided the weapon meets caliber
restriction for the species

I have hunted with M1A and Colt AR15, as long as you do not have anything larger than a 5 rd mag on you you should be fine. You can get extended mags for Browning semi autos but there isn't any problem with that as long as you have the stock mag in it.
If you ask them you will get answers according to their politics and some will say no some will say fine. When in truth they don't have a clue.

What I see is the rifle as you are using it must abide by those restrictions.
Just have only 5 rd mags in your possession while hunting.

I used to carry (not saying it's legal etc) 30 round magazines with FMJ in my backpack for the "just in case I run into a grow".

Any hunting rounds were always in 5 round mags. I would have no problem explaining myself to a game warden. I wouldn't have one in the gun if I was actively hunting.

Give respect and get it.

The OSP Fish and Wildlife Division is the single enforcement entity designated by law to protect fish and wildlife resources.

. This question has come up a number of times before and as a few have said here the magazine in a semi auto rifle can not hold more then 5 rounds. If you have a plug in your magazine so that not more then 5rds will fit you are legal for deer and other big game. Varmits and so called predatory animals (NOT PREDATORS) you can run a belt if you want to. SBR and silencers are also legal as long as they are legal to own and legally owned by the hunter. I have personally talked with both a OSP SSgt in the Fish and Wildlife Division and with officers in the field. In 44 years of deer hunting in Oregon I have never seen a ODFW person enforcing laws in the field it has always been OSP. I have run into Federal Wildlife guys checking us Duck hunting at the coast.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/agency/budget/docs/09_11_ways_and_means/Tab 25 OSP.pdf

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads