JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How do you drive?

• I'm an old codger who puts along below the speed limit. Slow down, ya dang whippersnapper!

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I meticulously follow the speed limit and all rules of the road. 55 Stay Alive!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a fairly conservative driver- speed limit generally or reasonable flow of traffic.

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • I go with the flow, and the speed limit is just a suggestion. I don't like being slowed down.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I like to go fast- 20 over everywhere I go! All the idiots in the PNW drive way too slow!

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Pedal to the metal, baby! Move over, I've got a license to fly!

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
Reactions
So how's your driving? This thread is just for fun, inspired by curiosity.

Though I'm not a professional driver, we've had driver training at work, and I find it interesting. I've also talked to many people from different areas who complain about regional differences in driving, and I'm sure there will be plenty of that on this thread. Everyone considers themself an excellent driver, no matter how they drive. I have friends who drive slow and careful, and others who drive like aggressive maniacs- takes all kinds I guess.

The poll choices reflect various friends and acquaintances of mine. Anyhow, I'm sure there are all kinds here too, and lots of different opinions. :)

I generally like to go with the flow. I drive all day for work with my CDL, so tickets count,( not that they write them anymore), but not in a particular rush to get anywhere.

The best defense is a good offense.

I don't care how slow or fast anyone drives, as long as they get out of the passing lane. Too many careless people not paying attention, or they're self entitled brats who try to slow everyone else down by breaking the law themselves.

-Robert

I like to go with the traffic flow. As long as it's not flowing +20 over the posted limit I like to keep a few car lengths of separation and drive in a staggered formation with cars in the extra lanes on multi lane hiways. I scan the road as far ahead as I can see to take note of traffic speed, congestion and any cross roads that may have traffic pulling out or crossing main hiway turning left in front of me or right to go in same direction as me, paying peticular attention to cross road vehicles making sure they are actually stopped and not creeping forward onto hiway in my path..At stop signs/ stop lights, I leave enough room in front of me if I need to evade any situation that might arise .. if I see traffic stopping in front of me I start braking early/gently to give any vehicles behind me a chance to react to avoid getting rear ended ….all that being said. If things are going sideways and it's turning into a dangerous situation my car/ truck/ commercial vehicle will become a defensive weapon escape tool

Last Edited:
I have not been cited in decades and I hope to keep it that way:D
I will sometimes find myself going over by a bit because the flow is and I was just not paying attention. If the traffic is going posted I stay to the right to let others go any speed they want. The cost of even 1 ticket any more is just not worth saving a few minuets off a commute.

If you're going to tailgate me, make sure your brakes are good, your reaction time is sharp and the lid is on your coffee. I don't have much tolerance for people trying to climb up my backside at 70+, especially when they have a left lane available to them.

I generally go the speed limit...Heck I even use my turn signals...:D

Paying attention to what is going on around you on the road is a good idea...
Especially if you drive the same route often.
Taking things for granted while driving is not the best of methods.

Also worth considering :
Never exceed the speed at which you wish to impact with....:eek: :D
Andy

I generally like to go with the flow. I drive all day for work with my CDL, so tickets count,( not that they write them anymore), but not in a particular rush to get anywhere.
They are still writing them. See speed traps often in Beaverton and Hillsboro, 217 and 26. But the threshold seems higher, they won't go after you unless you are 10+

I like to go with the traffic flow. As long as it's not flowing +20 over the posted limit I like to keep a few car lengths of separation and drive in a staggered formation with cars in the extra lanes on multi lane hiways. I scan the road as far ahead as I can see to take note of traffic speed, congestion and any cross roads that may have traffic pulling out or crossing main hiway turning left in front of me or right to go in same direction as me, paying peticular attention to cross road vehicles making sure they are actually stopped and not creeping forward onto hiway in my path..At stop signs/ stop lights, I leave enough room in front of me if I need to evade any situation that might arise .. if I see traffic stopping in front of me I start braking early/gently to give any vehicles behind me a chance to react to avoid getting rear ended ….all that being said. If things are going sideways and it's turning into a dangerous situation my car/ truck/ commercial vehicle will become a defensive weapon escape tool
This ^^ is me for the most part. Getting a "Drivers License" in the semi rural community I did was serious business. Right of Passage stuff. I take driving very serious. Had three tickets in my life. All for speeding. It's important to note that in all three instances they were on open highway with no traffic.
I check the box above with speed limit as a suggestion. I'm an adult and capable of knowing what a safe speed is. I don't abuse speed limits. If I'm breaking them it's only a few MPH. I'm always scanning for possible issues that may come up. I'm also always aware of what's behind, and to the sides, of me. I'm always aware of how my position on the roads affect other drivers around me. And I adjust accordingly to work for smoot traffic flow.
I swear to God that you could remove the mirrors from half the drivers in potland and they'd NEVER notice! I believe over half the residents in potland were somehow deprived of peripheral vision sometime in their life.

They are still writing them. See speed traps often in Beaverton and Hillsboro, 217 and 26. But the threshold seems higher, they won't go after you unless you are 10+
You can do what ever you want in potland. Wanna' take a dump on the sidewalk? No problemo!

I have not been cited in decades and I hope to keep it that way:D
I will sometimes find myself going over by a bit because the flow is and I was just not paying attention. If the traffic is going posted I stay to the right to let others go any speed they want. The cost of even 1 ticket any more is just not worth saving a few minuets off a commute.
This is exactly me too. I'm almost never in a hurry anymore, drive with the flow of traffic for the most part. I get passed more often than I pass others. I'm also very careful to stay out of other drivers' way. If someone else wants to drive faster than me, I do my very best to get out of their way. I don't so much worry about how others drive anymore. To each their own- I just stay out of the way. :)

I have noticed an interesting phenomenon, many times since I've been paying attention in recent years. I don't know how many times I'm driving along and get passed by someone driving like the proverbial bat-outta-hell, way faster than me. When I watch, I nearly always catch up with them eventually. Unless you're on a wide open highway a long ways, driving like that rarely does you any good. I think a lot of people who drive like that do it because they enjoy it, rather than much practicality.

It seems strange that almost everybody thinks they are a good driver. How can this be ?
I think even (especially?) the worst drivers think they are great. :) Realistically though, I fully realize that I'm not the most skilled driver around. I haven't lived and driven a lot in many areas with heavy population and traffic. I've never driven professionally. On the other hand, I've had one ticket in my life, in the last century, and never an accident, so I can't be that bad of a driver.

I have a "point and shoot" mentality to driving, meaning I look for openings ahead, not to my side or behind. I feel it's better for fully evaluating the situation.

I think the "speed limit" is the minimum speed.

I feel that people who doddle and obstruct in traffic are being disrespectful to what's going on in other people's day. If I notice someone behind me acting like they'd like to go by, I do my best to get out of their way. What if they are trying to get to the hospital?

It seems strange that almost everybody thinks they are a good driver. How can this be ?

I presume by "good driver" you mean according to your interpretation. Because, like everything else in life, there's going to be many different ideas about what a "good driver" is.
I would be inclined to say that a driver's insurance company would know if someone is a "good driver" as they go by metrics, not philosophy.
I'll admit, some drivers that infuriate me are likely considered "good" by their insurance company. Likewise, I'm sure some would say I drive too fast, but according to my insurance company, they also consider me a "good driver"

I feel that people who doddle and obstruct in traffic are being disrespectful to what's going on in other people's day. If I notice someone behind me acting like they'd like to go by, I do my best to get out of their way. What if they are trying to get to the hospital?
This^^.

You want to know if you're a good driver.
If you get moving violation tickets fairly regularly, you're not a good driver.
If your getting honked at on a regular basis, your not a good driver.
If the road in front of you is always clear of traffic, but there are always people behind you? You're not a good driver.
You are one of the "special" kinds of drivers that makes potland suck to drive in.

I need to ad that Insurance companies selling people on driving "Safe" mean driving slow. And not accelerating to get on the freeways. Dumb bubblegums seem to think driving in broad day light, on dry pavement, no children/pedestrians/bicycles, wide streets at 27 mph in a 35mph zone is some how safer.

This^^.

You want to know if you're a good driver.
If you get moving violation tickets fairly regularly, you're not a good driver.
If your getting honked at on a regular basis, your not a good driver.
If the road in front of you is always clear of traffic, but there are always people behind you? You're not a good driver.
You are one of the "special" kinds of drivers that makes potland suck to drive in.
If you are bombing down the freeway behind someone and you can see what station their radio is tuned to, you are not a good driver.

Last Edited:
Driving since 1963 with no at fault accidents, no moving violations in several years, and pretty few total. Whatever I'm doing must work.

Also - riding a motorcycle makes one a better driver vis-a-vis situational awareness.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads