JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It has 3 mag pouches for a total of 6 mags and two additional buckle pouches (one on each side) for gear.

I have six mags in the 3 mag pouches (2 in each pouch) and a trauma pack in each buckled pouch right now for a total of two trauma packs.

I'm considering taking one trauma pack out and putting other practical gear to help me get away if pinned down, etc.

Also have a front "map" pouch that holds more than just maps. What to put in it?
Alternatively I could put enough ammo for 6 more mag reloads or four pre-filled mags into the buckle pouches instead.

Thoughts?

Basic concept is mag pouches on the front for ez access. IFAK on the right (though you use the downed persons IFAK in this case NOT your own). Another accessory pouch right of IFAK. On the left hand side is your canteen pouch which holds PVS7/14's if you had them with a tie off.

Basic INF load out kit set up.
Should carry at least 7 mags total of 210rnds (7th mag is in your rifle)
IFAK has gause, isreali bandage, pressure dressing, tourniquet
accessory pouch can be used to hold various things or store empty magazines to refill later
Canteen pouch holds NOD's or even a canteen

Theres quite a few set ups given what you have described... I guess the mag pouches are open topped with MOLLE on their front?

Depending on how big the chest rig itself is... if you can move things around..

If its something like a TT MAV which is quite a big rig; moving the 3 mag pouches a little closer to the lefthand side could help and keep things closer for getting stuff, and the two buckle pouches can stay at the ends, there would maybe be 2 to 3 columns opened up on the right side for another pouch, probably a small one for misc items..

On the other hand, if the chest rig platform is smaller, there maybe no way to move things around.

The usual setup that I've seen is as @E4mafia describes... though sometimes theres a 4th M4 double mag pouch thats used for say a israeli bandage(or similarly large field dressing) and shears, or sometimes, a handgun if the user isnt running a leg rig.

Some people run 4 mags up front and have 2 to 4 more on a belt, along with a dump pouch, pistol, pistol mags, and IFAK.... but thats usually a combat rig, with a plate carrier in the mix.

I do see that the IDF Tanker rig as shown here, can be a decent minimal rig.. the 4 mag pouches on the front carries 5 mags (3 singles and 1 double), while the back "buttpack" can carry a trauma kit and some misc things.. although theres no "map" pocket on the front, the back pack flap I think does have a flat pocket.. been a while since I've handled one.. one problem, they're all sized for small dudes. You could MOLLE the map pouch onto one of the side straps, or both if theres room on the height IDF-Vest-5.jpg 51FdVRxDkXL.jpg

Basic concept is mag pouches on the front for ez access. IFAK on the right (though you use the downed persons IFAK in this case NOT your own). Another accessory pouch right of IFAK. On the left hand side is your canteen pouch which holds PVS7/14's if you had them with a tie off.

accessory pouch can be used to hold various things or store empty magazines to refill later

Not a chest rig, but an outer soft body armor carrier. Same concept as what you are saying with LE specific crap added in.

54F23A21-13B4-45EC-939E-CC8BADA513FA.jpeg

Sounds like a lot of weight.
Go take a couple classes, the answer will present itself.

This. My carrier and load-out has evolved over time. Its current configuration has been this way for 4 years and its the way I like it with things I actually use.

If you got a kit set up, try wearing it around the house.

Do normal things like prep a meal with it, eat with it, sit and watch tv with it, use the bathroom with it, try to work on something with it.

Basic point is getting used to how your gear feels and how long you can tolerate it on you and try to run some drills where you need to access pouches or mags without having to stop and look at it. Once you hit that point you are golden.

Find a gun club / range that holds matches and start shooting those.

I shoot Practical Rifle and find it's a great way try out gear as well as talk to others to see what They're running and what they like.

While some may scoff at this because you're cover is a blue barrel, others can imagine that blue barrel is actually real cover :p

Oh, extra points in PR when you begin each stage by screaming, "WOLVERINES!!!!!"

This makes sense. I'll dump one trauma pack and put other equipment in the other pouch.

I've worn the rig around before. I just felt like two trauma packs was too much maybe. Sounds like it might be that only one is needed.

Extra tactical gear in the extra pouch.

I have played with putting a pistol in the map pocket. Needs a holster to be safe though.

I have seen some dudes carrying 12+ 30rd magazines on their person... however this is often without body armor.. alternatively, its the British guys using their PLCE with extra ammo pouch in place of the GP pouch, I may be wrong, I think the standard PLCE two cell mag pouch carries 4 total? I know a few carried 6, but those often are from commercial vendors?

Edit. Very old setup; ALICE belt with standard 2x triple pouches, 2x canteens, + either buttpack, or SAW pouch or Jungle First Aid Kit, onto the woodland LBV; gets you 12 magazines at the most, plus whatever gear needed... do keep in mind from the era of either no armor, or just the PASGT flak jacket (frag vest only, roughly equivalent to level 2A armor?) .

Similar setup can be easily built on MOLLE II vest using standard MOLLE gear, but problem is its more of a short torso vest kit, and doesnt have as much MOLLE estate as a full wraparound plate carrier with Cummerbund...

Are you planning to run armor at all?

If so, I would try to keep things light up top, and invest in a decent MOLLE belt which could carry the handgun, pistol mags, maybe up to 4 30rd mags in either a pair of double pouches, or a single triple mag shingle with pistol mags on outside on left side opposite of pistol if right handed... this is just an idea. Put trauma kit on right kidney behind pistol, and a 2 qt canteen on left kidney, that would let you run a minimalist plate carrier rig with say, another triple mag shingle.

Last Edited:
Sure, in war zones. Is that where we are? Most of those I see expounding 12 mags would be better off spending 12 minutes a day on a treadmill. Truth.
Depends on where ya are... Chicago.. Los Angles... PDX when Proud Boys do stuff... maybe :p on the other hand, 6 on your person, and 6 in a reload bandolier in a rucksack, vehicle or cache, sure?

Have you tried Blauer Frisk cut resistant gloves? If not, I highly recommend you. They are lil stiff when brand new. Machine wash them once. Also, they stretch a litle bit.
Not a chest rig, but an outer soft body armor carrier. Same concept as what you are saying with LE specific crap added in.
View attachment 542355
This. My carrier and load-out has evolved over time. Its current configuration has been this way for 4 years and its the way I like it with things I actually use.

Depends on where ya are... Chicago.. Los Angles... PDX when Proud Boys do stuff... maybe :p on the other hand, 6 on your person, and 6 in a reload bandolier in a rucksack, vehicle or cache, sure?

Full kit in the sand box was 9 mags plus IV bags and his medic gear per my son.

Extra gear and ammo was stashed when on the hunt.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top