JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last Edited:
The big critical component to your kit should be this:

View attachment 542579

Keep one on kit at all times, never know when you'll find wild snack packs or get the MRE without the spoon.

LOL correct the primary critical component of every rig,, followed by a close second of that itsy bitsy bottle of tabasco sauce found in most M.R.E's.. used for flavoring un-edible rations, but also can be used as eye drops,stimulant to keep a person from falling asleep on late night/ early morning security detail.

20190128_221316.jpg

My rig mentioned earlier in thread.

I guess it depends on units and groups right? Saw several 25th ID guys with full TT MAV rigs, and those had 4x triples, 2 grenades and two mediums or large utility pockets.. or 1 large utility and 1 zippered medic pouch (trauma kit). But thats basically the standard Tactical Tailor MAV rig.... no doubt one could use an empty triple for gear and emtpy the utility pouch and use as dump pouch.
@ camoDeafie what year was that?

Haven't read the entire thread, and don't know if it's been mentioned yet.

Whatever configuration you go with try it out in the prone position, because one of the first things you'll probably do when shot at is hit the deck.... you can't low-crawl very well, or present a low silhouette when you have a 3"-4" thick layer of magazine pouches jammed into your chest and/or midriff section.

And yes, carrying more than 210rounds of 5.56 (7- 30 round mags) gets heavy when you have to run and sprint with it, especially under "stress". ;)

a very good chance I was one of those guys you saw if it was the Mosul / Tal Afar AOR. still have my MAV set up from then all I did was take the PVS-14s, frags and flash bangs out of the big side pocket.
I run a TT TRAC setup for the last eight years now.

It has 3 mag pouches for a total of 6 mags and two additional buckle pouches (one on each side) for gear.

I have six mags in the 3 mag pouches (2 in each pouch) and a trauma pack in each buckled pouch right now for a total of two trauma packs.

I'm considering taking one trauma pack out and putting other practical gear to help me get away if pinned down, etc.

Also have a front "map" pouch that holds more than just maps. What to put in it?
Alternatively I could put enough ammo for 6 more mag reloads or four pre-filled mags into the buckle pouches instead.

Thoughts?

Yeah. I'd setup a shoulder bag, man-purse, etc., similar to the way troops in Vietnam would load a Claymore Mine bag with magazines.

I was trained in individual techniques back in the day by Vietnam Vets. In other words, fighting from the prone position. All those guys wanted in front of their bodies back in the day was the buttons on their shirts.

Anyone who thinks they're going to run around with a big chest rig-on post SHTF or whatever, standing around, kneeling around, etc. is going to become sniper bait.

Anyone who thinks they're going to run around with a big chest rig-on post SHTF or whatever, standing around, kneeling around, etc. is going to become sniper bait.
That depends actually. Out in the open? Oh yeah, no argument there.
In a relatively dense urban environment? Prone aint gonna do much when on the ground being targeted from above and close... chest rigs here with armor seems to work decently. In the woods, thats dependent, but probably best to go belt kit or shoulder bandoliers (lots of surplus ones on the market from the US mil)... on the other hand, the VC and NVA seemed to go for the simple canvas 3-mag or 10 pocket chest rigs for their AKs and SKS/bolt actions.. at least, many pictures of the NVA seem to show such equipment.

Yeah. I'd setup a shoulder bag, man-purse, etc., similar to the way troops in Vietnam would load a Claymore Mine bag with magazines.

I was trained in individual techniques back in the day by Vietnam Vets. In other words, fighting from the prone position. All those guys wanted in front of their bodies back in the day was the buttons on their shirts.

Simple, split chess rig, boom done. Need to go prone, unbuckle and splay it out.

MAV Complete

Last Edited:
Harder to beat an $8-13 6 mag "Molle" bandolier/shoulder bag :p altho they require some mods to fit P-mags and similarly thick mags... they're made for steel/aluminum USGI mags
$8-13? The last batch of bandoliers I bought were $2 each! :p

They are actually one of my preferred methods of carrying mags, as it's about the simplest grab-and-go setup you can get.

I also have a few 4-mag bandoliers from Midway that aren't bad. They have velcro flaps, so it's easier to accommodate different magazines.

Last Edited:
The prices on them are rising on certain colors :confused: Woodland and Multicam seem to be the more expensive ones in surplus shops, while ACU and the DCU versions are the cheapest with Coyote being in the middle. Although I paid $9 at Action Surplus for my coyote bandolier which I am in the middle of turning into a micro chest rig :rolleyes:

I'd love to find some coyote or woodland bandoliers, but I'm not willing to pay a premium for them when my ACUs work just fine.
A trick to get the ACUs to look more earthen is to just get RIT dye in taupe and black and brown and mix 2 of these 3 colors and dye them. I don't remember which combo it was that worked pretty good... another is some black and some apple green, turned ACU into something resembling the Canadian digital camo.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top