JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Long cut, mmhm.

Once, when considering the options displayed at my local filling station, the attendant warned "evr' mane wemen and chald should pack ther lip wit cope"

'Nuf sed, gimme two

Full kit in the sand box was 9 mags plus IV bags and his medic gear per my son.

Extra gear and ammo was stashed when on the hunt.
I guess it depends on units and groups right? Saw several 25th ID guys with full TT MAV rigs, and those had 4x triples, 2 grenades and two mediums or large utility pockets.. or 1 large utility and 1 zippered medic pouch (trauma kit). But thats basically the standard Tactical Tailor MAV rig.... no doubt one could use an empty triple for gear and emtpy the utility pouch and use as dump pouch.

If you got a kit set up, try wearing it around the house.
Sometimes I'll operate from my upstairs home office down three floors to the den, clearing rooms as I go if I get bored. I think we all secretly do this o_O

On a serious note
Garand Thumb: "Survival / Recce Chest Rig setup" I would recommend subscribing to this guys channel. Active duty SERE, puts a lot of thought into his gear

Some good info here, I've been looking for a good lightweight chest rig for 4-6 mags for a little while now, haven't found anything that really popped out at me yet. Like a 3 gun rig but not on a belt.

It has 3 mag pouches for a total of 6 mags and two additional buckle pouches (one on each side) for gear.

I have six mags in the 3 mag pouches (2 in each pouch) and a trauma pack in each buckled pouch right now for a total of two trauma packs.

I'm considering taking one trauma pack out and putting other practical gear to help me get away if pinned down, etc.

Also have a front "map" pouch that holds more than just maps. What to put in it?
Alternatively I could put enough ammo for 6 more mag reloads or four pre-filled mags into the buckle pouches instead.

Thoughts?

When I got into owning a PC and setting it up I first just wore it around the house a ton, exercised in it, even played tennis in it to get a feel for moving in it. I also participate in 2-gun competitions at the range while wearing armor.

Setting yours up drastically depends on what you are trying to accomplish. For me, I figured 5 rifle and 2 pistol on the PC was adequate. I left my entire right side bare because when I wear the armor I still wear my OWB carry piece on my belt and putting anything on my right side would inhibit my draw. If I threw anything more on the carrier it would be cumbersome and potentially negatively impact my ability to shoulder the rifle or draw the pistol. I figure anything else like more mags, water, food, medical, can go in a small backpack slung on the back if I wanted to do any traveling.

I envisioned my armor as something that could be donned in emergencies, unwanted visitors in the house, civil unrest, ect. From my perspective, the less you are constantly carrying on the PC the better because it gives you additional options for movement, stamina, endurance, when you can take off items that you don't need to constantly carry. Quite frankly, I don't plan on going much anywhere wearing armor not related to car transportation.

Dont forget, if you don't want a bunch of stuff on the vest you can also put smaller things on the waist line.

s-l1000.jpg
Also good for opening up sides of PC's by putting things more accessible to the user should you choose. Really the ideal set up is what you intend to do with it.

The one I mentioned before is your standard INF riflemans set up for all attack purpose. We are also used to at least 60+lbs of kit on us at all important times, you don't have to match that since we currently arent in a war zone hazard zone setting.

Here in the normal market most would only need the standard 3 mag pouch and one for pistols and a utility to be just fine. Spend more in your plates than tryin to hit that tactical gucci.

Not only should you practice throwing on your kit and how quickly you can get it on you should also practice getting it off as well.

Theres also a lazy mans trick you can do and its quite simple.
This is a standard US Army INF joe's rig right here and one i've used myself.
4db92db1.jpg
Trick out a FLC and throw that over the PC. Take off FLC when only needing PC or grab FLC in the quick of OH SH~~

OH and if you got one of them PC's that fall apart with a pull cord. Get used to pulling that cord and then putting your PC back together again. May also want to put a piece of tape over the lip of the cord to keep prankersters from pulling it for funsies only to have a 1SG make it a arty 15 offence.

eds-otv-front_1_1.jpg
This also makes a handy device paired with the above FLC, you can configure it so the FLC allows the IBA to open up and let you breathe or operate on someone.

Last Edited:
@jordanka16 ; this was a rig I made out of 1000D Cordura, 6 mags in open top front pockets, plus 2 9x7 zippered pockets for gear such as small FAK, flat items, and so on... basically a minimalist chest rig. Could add small admin style pouch to the front panel, or what have you.... if desired.
20170526_170231.jpg 20170526_170243.jpg 20170526_170257.jpg 20170526_170449.jpg

And this is a prototype 330D Multicam super slick, minimalist 3-mag shingle/C_bund adapter flap to go on a standard low profile MOLLE Plate Carrier that doesn't come with C-bunds.... I haven't found a good deal on MOLLE C-bund adapters to try on this rig yet. Ideally it would be for those who have 3-4 mags on a belt kit; or plan to have a double mag pouch on left side of C-bund. I know my stitching isn't perfect on this one.... as I have said it's a prototype, and probably not for sale. Was rather interesting to make it where the magazines sits on the back behind the C-bund, out of a single piece. Next one likely thicker fabric, 500D or 1000D, and with taped edges, maybe MOLLE front, but that already exists from many companies... the idea was to keep it slick and low profile
DSCF1617.JPG DSCF1616.JPG DSCF1618.JPG DSCF1619.JPG DSCF1620.JPG

My personal PC/rig being modeled by my wife :cool: TT green pouches, 1000D cordura in TT style green, both ALICE/MOLLE webbing, configuration a mix of the old ISAPO (real simple rectangle) and Eagle RRV chest rig (the side wings). Right now I have an 8-mag panel that I made in place of the TT mag pouches, so just the TT medic pouch and large utility pouch in addition to the 8-mag panel. 20170809_140745.jpg 20170809_140750.jpg 20170809_140800.jpg
8-mag panel on a TT MAV with two Large utility pouches. The 8 mag panel is another prototype; I wanted both flap covered tops, and MOLLE/ALICE add-on ability...quite an exercise. DSCF1691.JPG DSCF1692.JPG

Whenever setting up gear I try to remember the acronym K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

During my time in the Marines the new guys would always load up with all the gear they could possibly carry. They fatigued quicker, it restricted their movement through buildings and vehicles, and they soon learned to only bring the essentials.

My main kit on deployment consisted of my Body Armor (I removed the hard side plates, and relied on the soft armor for side protection, since the hard plates added a significant amount of weight and bulk and made moving through tight spaces more difficult) and a war belt.

Attached I had:

1. 6 magazines
2. Fixed Blade Fighting Knife
3. Leatherman Multi Tool
4. Flashlight (in 9mm mag pouches with the leatherman)
5. IFAK (to include tourniquet and trauma sheers)
6. Dump Pouch (great for mag retention or holding snacks)
7. Camel-pak
8. Carabiner
9. Small empty pouch to carry any last minute gear

I worked security for a high ranking officer so the gear was put together primarily for defensive maneuvers. Assaulting in an urban environment it would have looked a little different.

The kit was easy to move in and didn't get snagged when going in and out of vehicles and buildings.

It obviously worked just fine because I'm here today to tell the story.

Think of the most likely situation you'll need protection and build your kit around that requirement.

Safe Shooting.

Go back and re-read our post.

Hint...and yes.

My post was fine, your response didn't specify which setup you thought was heavy. All you said was, "Sounds like a lot of weight." which was vague. It didn't say adding 6 more mags to the existing mags was heavy. It was only one of the options I gave. More specificity would have been more accurate.

Go back and re
Sounds like a lot of weight. Go take a couple classes, the answer will present itself.
read our post. Hint...and yes.

Sometimes I'll operate from my upstairs home office down three floors to the den, clearing rooms as I go if I get bored. I think we all secretly do this o_O

On a serious note
Garand Thumb: "Survival / Recce Chest Rig setup" I would recommend subscribing to this guys channel. Active duty SERE, puts a lot of thought into his gear

I've seen it, good video. I like a variety of opinions so I posted here as well.

If you got a kit set up, try wearing it around the house.

Do normal things like prep a meal with it, eat with it, sit and watch tv with it, use the bathroom with it, try to work on something with it.

Basic point is getting used to how your gear feels and how long you can tolerate it on you and try to run some drills where you need to access pouches or mags without having to stop and look at it. Once you hit that point you are golden.

I do this already also when camping year round. Good advice.

The big critical component to your kit should be this:

16284711za.jpg

Keep one on kit at all times, never know when you'll find wild snack packs or get the MRE without the spoon.

Maybe I missed it, but what is the purpose of this PC? Home defense, SHTF - civil unrest - WROL, or a civil war?

My PC is mainly for HD, with a side of other stated reasons. I have 5 AR mags, 2 pistol pouches that can be used for pistol mags or leatherman/flashlight.

Low profile "battle belt" which can be concealed if needed has 2 AR mags and 2 pistol mags, knife, IFAK, and pistol.

@jordanka16 ; this was a rig I made out of 1000D Cordura, 6 mags in open top front pockets, plus 2 9x7 zippered pockets for gear such as small FAK, flat items, and so on... basically a minimalist chest rig. Could add small admin style pouch to the front panel, or what have you.... if desired.
View attachment 542553 View attachment 542554 View attachment 542555 View attachment 542556

And this is a prototype 330D Multicam super slick, minimalist 3-mag shingle/C_bund adapter flap to go on a standard low profile MOLLE Plate Carrier that doesn't come with C-bunds.... I haven't found a good deal on MOLLE C-bund adapters to try on this rig yet. Ideally it would be for those who have 3-4 mags on a belt kit; or plan to have a double mag pouch on left side of C-bund. I know my stitching isn't perfect on this one.... as I have said it's a prototype, and probably not for sale. Was rather interesting to make it where the magazines sits on the back behind the C-bund, out of a single piece. Next one likely thicker fabric, 500D or 1000D, and with taped edges, maybe MOLLE front, but that already exists from many companies... the idea was to keep it slick and low profile
View attachment 542558 View attachment 542557 View attachment 542559 View attachment 542560 View attachment 542561

My personal PC/rig being modeled by my wife :cool: TT green pouches, 1000D cordura in TT style green, both ALICE/MOLLE webbing, configuration a mix of the old ISAPO (real simple rectangle) and Eagle RRV chest rig (the side wings). Right now I have an 8-mag panel that I made in place of the TT mag pouches, so just the TT medic pouch and large utility pouch in addition to the 8-mag panel. View attachment 542565 View attachment 542566 View attachment 542567
8-mag panel on a TT MAV with two Large utility pouches. The 8 mag panel is another prototype; I wanted both flap covered tops, and MOLLE/ALICE add-on ability...quite an exercise. View attachment 542571 View attachment 542572

First one looks just about right, but I dont think I'd need the front to unbuckle, and without the big zippered pockets on the inside, or maybe one small document pocket. I was also thinking of 4 pockets on the inside and running a double pouch on the left.

Its surprisingly hard to find, and when I find something close it's like $250

Tourniquet x3 at least.
Have 2 on each plate carrier along with IFAK and 1 on each rifle stock.

Thanks, I got two fancy TQ's for
Maybe I missed it, but what is the purpose of this PC? Home defense, SHTF - civil unrest - WROL, or a civil war?

My PC is mainly for HD, with a side of other stated reasons. I have 5 AR mags, 2 pistol pouches that can be used for pistol mags or leatherman/flashlight.

Low profile "battle belt" which can be concealed if needed has 2 AR mags and 2 pistol mags, knife, IFAK, and pistol.

I have multiple setups for different situations.
This one is my non armored general setup. Shtf be it bugging in or out, while staying light. Armor is pretty heavy and only worn as needed. Also have concealed setups for when I have to go into shady situations in normal life.

First one looks just about right, but I dont think I'd need the front to unbuckle, and without the big zippered pockets on the inside, or maybe one small document pocket. I was also thinking of 4 pockets on the inside and running a double pouch on the left.

Its surprisingly hard to find, and when I find something close it's like $250
Really. Well I could whip one up in either OD, Coyote or hunting camo, if ya dont go for crayola woodland (local source), DCU, or Pencott Snowdrift, but because it is a 1-person job.. it maybe a bit much money for what it is, which is a simple low profile rig, right? You're thinking single layer with maybe a double? I can make a no-nonsense style rig out of an old USMC CB 6 mag bandolier, with MOLLE side panels and document pocket on the back?

Edit, important question, what mag are ya running?

Not a big fan of chest rigs here. They raise my profile when I am in prone position and it is more difficult to access magz.
I prefer side hip rigs or cargo pants pockets with separate compartments for magz, like Tru-Spec 24/7.
However, everyone is different.

Not a big fan of chest rigs here. They raise my profile when I am in prone position and it is more difficult to access magz.
I prefer side hip rigs or cargo pants pockets with separate compartments for magz, like Tru-Spec 24/7.
However, everyone is different.
Chest rigs are awesome if you operate out of a vehicle; or need to be going through doorways and windows... awful out in the open, decent in wooded areas depending on how dense.... on the other hand, belt kits lets your torso and back breath and not get overheated, if not wearing armor... armored up, no real difference from chest rigs except for increased profile.. unless you manage to run super low profile gear (single layer mags on front, bulk on sides underarm and below on hips) :rolleyes:
At least from what guys tell me when they've been there...

Gear irony here... depending on the set up, I saw a few people running their "chest rigs" low, as in almost a c bund/belly band level rig, not that different from the old ALICE and British PLCE belt kits worn "high" if not rucking :rolleyes:

Edit.
Wearing a chest rig high and tight, as in the same zone on a minimalist plate carrier; one could get just as low if they're carrying a spare tire around their gut :cool::p

Thanks, I got two fancy TQ's for

I have multiple setups for different situations.
This one is my non armored general setup. Shtf be it bugging in or out, while staying light. Armor is pretty heavy and only worn as needed. Also have concealed setups for when I have to go into shady situations in normal life.

Gotcha.

My lightweight set up is just a HPG recon kit bag with a triple AR mag panel on front. I can fit 3-6 AR mags and a pistol. Or I can throw hunting gear in it, or binocs. Versatile!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top