JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was just reading the other discussion on what percentage of the time people actually carry and came up with a somewhat related question. Not wanting to hijack a perfectly nice discussion, I decided to start a new one...

How often do you suggest someone carry concealed, particularly when just starting out? Is it best to have it on as much as possible, only when away from home for more than a few hours, only in "dangerous" situations or areas, etc.?

Is there a benefit to carrying most of the time, or conversely, only when "necessary"? Is it a habit that breeds complacency or does it help you keep your edge? What do you think is best? Why?

I have my own opinions, now I'm just curious what y'all think so any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Amy
How often do you expect to get robbed, raped, assaulted, or killed? Can one predict these events? If so, then only carry when you expect the event to happen.
Sarcastic? Well, Yes. What a dumb question you posed. Think! Greydog.

Either carry it 200% of the time or 0%. My opinion is simple. You never know when danger is lurking. It doesn't have to be the ghetto or at night for freaks to come out. Would you really want to say to yourself, if I had carried that day, he/she would still be here?

Just one manchilds opinion, stick to whatever YOU decide.
200% of the time? Does that mean two weapons? :) Greydog.

I agree that predicting a crisis is not possible and that 100% CCW is the only way to be prepared. Even then, that's only step zero to surviving a hostile encounter.

What I don't understand is how carrying less than 100% is worse than never carrying. I'm starting to think people who make statements like this are simply being antagonistic.

Stop eating drinking dairy... get a professional alergin test..

I carry 20% of time. While I agree danger can happen at anytime, life threatening danger is just not as prevalant and I personally don't need to pull a gun in most cases.just my .02 cents

I also carry a .380 in my bathrobe pocket also.

I can't wear a wedding ring, my hands swell up too much. l also used to get severe hives and the Dr's never did figure out why, even on the palms of my hands and bottoms of my feet.

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

I carry whenever I can. If I can't carry in my holster, i'll carry my glock 22 in my bag, always next to me ready to go. I'll never be the guy who wishes my wife was still around because I didn't have my gun to protect her.

I agree that predicting a crisis is not possible and that 100% CCW is the only way to be prepared. Even then, that's only step zero to surviving a hostile encounter.

What I don't understand is how carrying less than 100% is worse than never carrying. I'm starting to think people who make statements like this are simply being antagonistic.

+1

I carry almost 100% of the time. I don't carry if it is illegal. But that usually only means the post office or Salem hospital. Any other places that don't allow weapons don't get my business.

I might suggest you carry in your home with your gun/holster at least for several hours before you go out so that you can make sure that it stays concealed with your movements and that it is in a comfortable position. If you have a full length mirror you can stand in front of it will help you find a good postion for your gun. After that carry as often as you can.

You have more danger in eating at mcdonalds everyday then the off chance someone is out to kill you, and if someone is out to get you, then maybe one should look at why. Again, I say carrying is situational. If I am headed to an area of concern during off peak hours, then I carry. Otherwise, I don't bother. The only time in 40 years I wished I had a gun and did not was an encounter with a bobcat in the woods.

Greydog, I take exception to your response. It was not a dumb question and in no way suggested that I have not thought this through in great detail. I clearly stated that I have my own opinion - which I chose not to elucidate - and was asking others their thoughts. I am just glad the rest of the members here respond politely and helpfully to someone new and eager to learn. Chill out dude.

+1:s0155:

Greydog, I take exception to your response. It was not a dumb question and in no way suggested that I have not thought this through in great detail. I clearly stated that I have my own opinion - which I chose not to elucidate - and was asking others their thoughts. I am just glad the rest of the members here respond politely and helpfully to someone new and eager to learn. Chill out dude.
:s0155:

ApronAmy you have to consider that snark and sarcasm can just be ones sense of humor and not meant to be hurtful or used as an attack.

Anyone who has been exposed to my posts knows that I tend to use sarcasm and snark but it is not meant to be hurtful, unfortunately inflection and actual feeling are sometimes hard to convey in print on a forum so we have to rely on familiarity with a person to know these traits for what they really are and what they are not.

Also consider in a hobby that is "dude" centric you're probably going to be treated as just another one of the "dudes". :p This is not an excuse as calling you dumb wasn't cool but he probably was treating you like one of the guys here.

You would be shocked by some of the stuff I've been called in PM by angry people as a result of doing Mod duties. :(

OP, may I recommend purchasing a small pocket gun such as a sig p238 or a S&W airweight .38sp in addition to a full size combat pistol (you got an S&W M&P 9mm right?). A full size is great to carry whenever you can as it is higher capacity, easier to control, and generally larger caliber, but a pocket gun makes it really easy to do 100% carry.

A .380ACP or .38SP may not be ideal (a handgun never is really...) but it is a lot better than nothing at all. Sometimes you just don't feel like carrying a big gun and dealing with the whole giant thick belt and holster thing if you're going running/other exercise, wearing nice clothes that lack easy places to conceal a gun, or just walking down the driveway to get your mail. Having a gun that is smaller and lighter than your wallet is nice cuz it can just always live in your pants pocket. :cool:

ApronAmy you have to consider that snark and sarcasm can just be ones sense of humor and not meant to be hurtful or used as an attack.

Anyone who has been exposed to my posts knows that I tend to use sarcasm and snark but it is not meant to be hurtful, unfortunately inflection and actual feeling are sometimes hard to convey in print on a forum so we have to rely on familiarity with a person to know these traits for what they really are and what they are not.

Also consider in a hobby that is "dude" centric you're probably going to be treated as just another one of the "dudes". :p

:s0155: No one need be offended

I was just reading the other discussion on what percentage of the time people actually carry and came up with a somewhat related question. Not wanting to hijack a perfectly nice discussion, I decided to start a new one...

How often do you suggest someone carry concealed, particularly when just starting out? Is it best to have it on as much as possible, only when away from home for more than a few hours, only in "dangerous" situations or areas, etc.?

Is there a benefit to carrying most of the time, or conversely, only when "necessary"? Is it a habit that breeds complacency or does it help you keep your edge? What do you think is best? Why?

I have my own opinions, now I'm just curious what y'all think so any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Amy

Would you drive your car without a spare tire and jack? Then why have a gun if you are not going to carry it...

I have mine on my hip when I'm at home. Your "safe zone" or comfort area is just another phrase for "I'm most vulnerable when I'm here".

I have a pocket gun, an LCP in a pocket holster and it goes in my front pocket when I put on my pants in the morning and I take it out and put it on my desk when I put on my Spider-man jammies at night before bed.......:s0131:

So if I'm dressed I'm packing. :s0112:

Even the most highly skilled special forces operator can randomly be hit by a "lucky" 7.62x39 round blindly sprayed by some teenager from behind cover.

Be prepared as much as practical, but don't fool yourself into a false confidence.

Goes on with my pants in the AM and off when I go to bed. You cannot anticipate what happens, and I'm so used to carrying a Commander sized 1911 in an IWB holster, that it feels odd when I don't carry.

Just to add a new wrinkle to the question...

I am not allowed (nor would I choose) to carry at work - company policy that I completely agree with and would never think of breaking - so do I wear the gun to work and lock it up in my car before I go in? I will automatically be without it within my reach nine hours a day, most days, so that kind of rules out carrying 100%.

I, too, am not allowed to carry at work. Thus I never carry AT, TO, or FROM work. But I carry at almost all other times:

-Anytime I drive somewhere I'm carrying (even a quick errand)
-Anytime I am in my front yard or walking through my neighborhood I'm carrying
-Often at home I am carrying
-Always I am aware of where my gun is when I'm at home.

Carry as often as possible, but not because we say so. Why did you get your CHL?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top