JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To answer your first question ApronAmy: I think you should carry 100% of the time. Literally 24/7.

I was prohibited by company policy to carry at work or have a weapon in my vehicle on company property. I carried every day for the 18-1/2 years I worked there anyway. I quit in January and I'm now happily self-employed. Once you're used to carrying nobody is going to figure it out. Even if they do, at least in my state, you can't be searched anyway. Also, here in Washington, the worst that can happen is you can be fired. Employers make rules, not laws! (Unless you work for the gub-mint.) Someone would have to directly see your actual firearm and they would have to be willing to rat you out as well. I think you'd be *amazed* at the number of people that CCW against company policy. If I were a woman and I chose to carry at work against company policy I would have a well thought out story in case a co-worker did find out somehow. Ex-boyfriend / stalker, etc. Would you rat out a co-worker that told you she was in fear for her life from an abusive ex if you managed to see her gun somehow? I sure wouldn't.

I'm not concerned about a co-worker finding out and ratting me out to the boss. Everyone knows I have a certifiably crazy ex - I've already talked to them about worst-case scenarios and my personal safety.

I am, however, justifiably worried about the fifteen three-year-olds with whom I spend most of my day in *very* close proximity. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't understand and would have something to say to their parents about Miss Amy having a "g-u-n" under her sweater.

I genuinely believe there are some jobs where carrying concealed just isn't the right thing to do, and this happens to be one. I may end up having it in my car, but that will be a completely different decision.

I am, however, justifiably worried about the fifteen three-year-olds with whom I spend most of my day in *very* close proximity. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't understand and would have something to say to their parents about Miss Amy having a "g-u-n" under her sweater.

The simple solution is a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster with either a Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, or a Ruger LCP. Not even the most hug-happy 3yr old will ever notice.

The simple solution is a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster with either a Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, or a Ruger LCP. Not even the most hug-happy 3yr old will ever notice.

That is a nice idea but have you seen the size of pockets in women's pants these days? They're more like an afterthought than something meant to be useful. I can barely fit my driver's license in there, let alone a gun in a holster :s0112:

That is a nice idea but have you seen the size of pockets in women's pants these days? They're more like an afterthought than something meant to be useful. I can barely fit my driver's license in there, let alone a gun in a holster :s0112:

For ladies there is no single best option for carrying. With so many different types of clothing, ladies must have a wide array of carry options:

-Pocket holster
-Ankle holster (for billowy pants with tight waist)
-Thigh holster (for shorter skirts)
-IWB options like Supertuck at 4-5 o'clock
-Even a shoulder rig for those outfits with sweaters

As a guy, I can go with just one or two options that fit my entire wardrobe. Once again, guys have it a little cheaper.

Ok, I promise when I finally figure out how to carry well enough so no one can tell, while still wearing something semi-fashionable, I will post a photograph.

Don't anyone go holding their breath though, this seems like it could be a looooooong process. I'm hitting the resale stores every week looking for long, loose, cute sweaters that will hide a gun and won't make me look like I'm wearing my boyfriend's clothes. :s0114:

I think the majority of time, we are smart enough to know when to carry a gun and not. I think all of us know someone who has been in car accident. I don't know anyone who has been shot. I don't carry a fire extinguiser either... I am waiting for the compact version.... oh and btw, who carries a defibrillator... Those who carry 24/7 are paranoid or just wants to feel cool. Why did I get a CWP, so that when I feel I NEED to carry, I can legally.

Do you own fire extinguisher? Do you know CPR? How about 1st aid? just sayin...
I don't do it to "feel cool" I do it because I am not mislead about the true nature of man, you go ahead and carry when you "feel" you need to, I will pray that you never need it it when you "didn't need too".

honestly if you are looking for a good pocket gun Id go with a sig p238 (its a lil .380)... Its a great looking piece and shoots amazing... everyone iv let shoot it loved it... and the recoil isn't bad either..

When I first got my CHL i bought a full size glock... a glock 17 9mm.... that lasted about a few months until i realized what CONCEALED meant lol... Then it got traded off... and since iv had my CHL for about 4 years Iv literally gone through about 10 different guns... trying to find the "one" or "ones" I really shot well and knew i could conceal well..

I currently have a G27, Sig P239 and Sig P238 which i am comfortable 100% with all three.. and will carry any of them with out hesitation on my ability to shoot them..

After you get a gun, maybe you wont like the trigger or something, and that can all usually be fixed with a lil trip to the gunsmith.. My glock trigger was a little heavy for me but then i put a 3.5lb trigger in it and i shoot it way better...

As for the PT709... I couldn't hit a pop can 3 feet in front of me if i wanted to... you get all these opinions, but none of them matter, unil u can actually go try each of these guns..

Also when you decide you may get a certain gun... google it.. And read other forms and see what others say about it as well... We aren't the only peeps out there that shoot guns and who have opinions

I currently have a g23 (which is the next size up from my g27) on layaway, and am planning on making that one of my carry pieces as well... then a Sig P250 .40 compact or subcompact next..

IMO i like to get guns i can carry on me no matter what... That's why I try to stick with the smaller frame Pistols..

AND THEN!!!!

When you pick out your handgun you get to pick out what holster you want to use and how you wish to carry it and where! its a never ending process! but its a fun one!

this carry method/'holster' might or might not be relevant for you (Amy) or any of y'all, but it's worked pretty well for me so far- got it on ebay for $20, doesn't scream 'hey I'm carrying!', plus holds my wallet, keys, cellphone, and an extra magazine:
here it is in usual mode-
concealbag01.jpg

...and here's the firearm accessed: (Kahr cw9, pretty small, light, not too expensive, and reliable as heck)
concealbag02.jpg

...dunno if that helps or is relevant, but it's pretty handy for being out and about, with storage for other essentials & attracts zero attention. I found it on ebay a few months ago, listed as 'CCW CONCEALED CARRY POUCH HOLSTER'...
Seems well made, too.

Last Edited:
I carry almost all of the time. Even at home. Work, I usually have it at my desk. Sometimes on me.

I carry either a full size 1911 or an XD45 compact.

atypicalparkie, a man purse! Have a maxpedition one like that. Goes with me everywhere. I do not carry a primary in it, sometimes a BUG. Always have at least another spare mag in it. On top of all the other normal EDC things and luch, reading material, ect. ect. I like having a man purse.

guy at my work carries a little duffel bag with his gun and between 2-9 mags... it works but seems it would be a little awkward to carry it around all the time with you

I carry almost all of the time. Even at home. Work, I usually have it at my desk. Sometimes on me.
I carry either a full size 1911 or an XD45 compact.
atypicalparkie, a man purse! Have a maxpedition one like that. Goes with me everywhere. I do not carry a primary in it, sometimes a BUG. Always have at least another spare mag in it. On top of all the other normal EDC things and luch, reading material, ect. ect. I like having a man purse.
:s0114: yessir! makes it real easy for me to carry everywhere I go, and I do errands/commute etc via bicycle (a trike no less, to add to my macho demeanor ha haa!). This particular purse wouldn't hold anything much bigger than my cw9, but I do always carry an extra mag too in the pocket for it. 'Course I could pack the wallet pocket with a few more mags too, but then I wouldn't have room for my chew can...

I think I'm realizing that no matter how often or what kind of gun I carry, I will have to change my wardrobe in some way. I am just too small and my clothes fit too nicely to reliably conceal anything, even if it is the size of a matchbox. My jeans don't have pockets that will accommodate a gun, my sweatshirts stop at my waist, and I don't have enough bulk to conceal any kind of holster unless I'm wearing a parka.

Sooo... I will stick with the M&P for now since I've had the chance to shoot it, I'm really good with it, and I love the way it feels. I'll try to figure out a way to dress around it and be comfortable.

But (my boyfriend is going to love this) I'm guessing I'll eventually end up getting a second gun that is a little more discreet and hide-able. Just like any good hobby, this one seems like it's going to end up costing me a lot of money. LOL.

I think I'm realizing that no matter how often or what kind of gun I carry, I will have to change my wardrobe in some way. My jeans don't have pockets that will accommodate a gun, my sweatshirts stop at my waist,...

...I'll eventually end up getting a second gun that is a little more discreet and hide-able. Just like any good hobby, this one seems like it's going to end up costing me a lot of money. LOL.

My experience exactly.
I love my CZ and shoot it really well.
Carrying my Kahr is a lot easier and more comfortable.
Buying 2 handguns was much more expensive than buying the one that I originally had in mind. The cost of the new wardrobe ain't helping ihter.

I think I'm realizing that no matter how often or what kind of gun I carry, I will have to change my wardrobe in some way. I am just too small and my clothes fit too nicely to reliably conceal anything, even if it is the size of a matchbox. My jeans don't have pockets that will accommodate a gun, my sweatshirts stop at my waist, and I don't have enough bulk to conceal any kind of holster unless I'm wearing a parka.

Sooo... I will stick with the M&P for now since I've had the chance to shoot it, I'm really good with it, and I love the way it feels. I'll try to figure out a way to dress around it and be comfortable.

But (my boyfriend is going to love this) I'm guessing I'll eventually end up getting a second gun that is a little more discreet and hide-able. Just like any good hobby, this one seems like it's going to end up costing me a lot of money. LOL.

You might try purse carry. There are plenty of options for that and it would let you carry your big M&P easily. Look for something that either has a giant zipper that is easy to grasp or velcro to rip open. It seems like a good thing to have even if you do end up carrying in a more traditional location because then you'd have more options like if you wanted to go out to a fancy dinner wearing a dress and have nowhere to put a gun.

One of the reasons I got a pocket gun actually. Wearing a slacks with a giant gun belt looks kind of ridiculous, not to mention dark colored guns possibly printing and becoming visible beneath a white button shirt that is tucked in. Guys always have deep pants pockets, girls always have purses.

Those who carry 24/7 are paranoid or just wants to feel cool.

I carry as often as I legally can, not because I'm paranoid, or because I want to feel cool, but because I can. It's my right to carry and rights that aren't exercised can be lost. Statistically, the odds are I will never fire my gun at another person.

Ironically, carrying increases my chances of never needing a gun. Because society, and the law, hold one who is carrying to a higher standard than one who is not, I don't get into arguments or fights and I'm nicer to people while I'm carrying. For me, feeling cool means carrying my gun and having the skill to defuse a hot situation without the other person ever realizing I was armed. The more prepared you are to kill, the less you are likely to need to.

It seems much more difficult for women to carry as comfortably and securely as men, and I wouldn't recommend a purse or something that can be snatched or forgotten somewhere. If you have clothing that is somewhat tight against your waist, you might try a <broken link removed> with a small pistol. This inexpensive holster doesn't require a belt (although it would help) and is made from a sticky material that doesn't move around when you do. I'm getting good results evaluating this little holster and this comes from someone who normally uses a Beltman or Wilderness Tactical belt with a Milt Sparks VM-2 holster.

It has been really interesting to see some of these responses. My LONG .02 cents&#8212;Good on you Apron Amy for taking all the time in consideration. :s0155::s0155: As a mother, let alone a woman, I encourage you to do what you need to do to get comfortable with your guns and keep them CLOSE at all times. We all speak from our experiences that formulate our opinions. My experience shows that in less than 3 years I have been fine most of the 365 days out of the year except that 1 or 2 days a year when someone changes that for me. I never know which day or days it will be so I bank on trying to be ready at all times. So far every single time that "day" has come, my deep appreciation for that gun being there has well over-ridden any pains packing it the other 364 days. And 4 years ago, I wouldn't have said all of this. Now, I treat my gun(s) like my clothing as many of these guys here. They are a part of my day clothes and my pajamas as long as my eyes are open. Both at home and away. Especially these days with the increase in gun guys coming to your front door.... There's no way I won't wear at least one gun at home.

As I recall Apron Amy does have children. And as any of you with kids know, when faced up against a bad guy(s) when your children are with you, your option for running away has just flown out the window. You stay and you fight and you try to see to it that it's not a fair fight... you must get the upperhand on him/them and win.

I was home alone with my kids one night and my house alarm was set to the "stay" mode. My son was in his room sleeping on the upper level and I was just heading my daughter that direction (we were on the lower level) when my alarm went off. Knowing that the alarm wasn't supposed to go off unless either a window or door had been opened/tampered with, set me into a quick harsh reality of sheer fear. Your house suddenly becomes your enemy rather than your safe haven as you stand there knowing that every corner you turn, you could run right into a guy. You can't run out the door and leave a child or two behind and so you try to get to them. Well if you don't have a gun on you... you must decide in a quick moment (assuming you even have this much time) to either go for the gun or go for the child(ren) first. I thankfully had my gun on me so I was able to grab it, scooping the one child in my arms as I headed for the other... gun in hand around every corner. And lucky for me, I didn't end up with an encounter that particular time, so I don't even count this scenario as that "1" day out of the year. But it was my wake up call to validate for me a good reason to wear it at home.

Having a gun on you doesn't even guarantee that you will win... but I find for me, it's the first step to working that direction. And from all my experiences and bad encounters... every single one of them has happened fast. So please people, do call the police if you can... AFTER you have a grip of that gun and it's pointed in the right direction. It's not fair to our law enforcement for any of us to think that they can be there in under 30 secs. Which is plenty of time for him to get a hold of a woman, drag her from one room to another and have her pinned down in a lot of pain--if she's still alive. Not to undermine a women's strength--but we gotta do the best that we can to keep distance on that guy, or the unfortunate reality of his strength can too quickly over take any of us women.

Btw&#8212;I'd also encourage any woman to carry a good, strong pepper spray and easy flip knife that has a clip for those times when you aren't allowed to have a gun. Pepper spray always in hand on the way to the car when the gun isn't there... and that does sound paranoid.

More power to you Apron Amy--keep it up!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top