JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You don't know when you'll need a gun. Just like you don't know when you'll need a fire extinguisher, or a seatbelt. If you knew you were going to "need" a gun ahead of time, you'd be a fool to still go there (exempting cops, military and a rare situation or two).

I think the majority of time, we are smart enough to know when to carry a gun and not. I think all of us know someone who has been in car accident. I don't know anyone who has been shot. I don't carry a fire extinguiser either... I am waiting for the compact version.... oh and btw, who carries a defibrillator... Those who carry 24/7 are paranoid or just wants to feel cool. Why did I get a CWP, so that when I feel I NEED to carry, I can legally.

You don't know when you'll need a gun. Just like you don't know when you'll need a fire extinguisher, or a seatbelt. If you knew you were going to "need" a gun ahead of time, you'd be a fool to still go there (exempting cops, military and a rare situation or two).

A .380ACP or .38SP may not be ideal (a handgun never is really...) but it is a lot better than nothing at all. Sometimes you just don't feel like carrying a big gun and dealing with the whole giant thick belt and holster thing if you're going running/other exercise, wearing nice clothes that lack easy places to conceal a gun, or just walking down the driveway to get your mail. Having a gun that is smaller and lighter than your wallet is nice cuz it can just always live in your pants pocket. :cool:

I do the same with my Kel-Tec PF9...it fits in the pistol pocket on my leather motorcycle jacket nicely, and is much less hassle to carry while riding. It is in no way as nice as my SR9c, but is quick, very convenient and, as was stated, is much better than nothing.

BTW I do carry a fire extinguisher in every vehicle a have ever owned over the past 30 years. I have used them 4 times now, once on a wheel bearing that caught fire on my Corvette and 3 times on random strangers cars I have happened upon that were on fire. ;)

I bought a mini fire extinguisher 2 weeks before the wheel bearing fire on a fluke, this was before the days of cell phones, by the time I noticed the smoke I was in the middle of the Fremont bridge on the lower deck and as most people know Corvettes are fiberglass so the fire would surely have brunt the whole car to the ground in no time if I hadn't had an extinguisher, I have had one in every vehicle since.

I have found that fire extinguishers are usually pretty infective on most car fires. Wheel bearing yes, engine fire, not so much. More power to you in the event I have a fire or am being shot at. Seems to me that it is 50/50 anymore, that if I help you with a fire or return fire with my gun that I will be charged with a crime... It is crazy! the other day I was listening to the news and they were covering a story where a guy shot someone who was a home intruder. the news anchor said police had not decided if the home owner would be charged or not. Are you serious... this guy is defending his home and himself and he might or might not be charged... can only imagine if I pulled out my HK and shot some guy who went crazy with a gun... they would probably take me down, confiscate my weapon and keep me for hours for statements.... that makes it a tough decision to want to walk around carrying in the off chance some crazy opens fire... because I know I would shoot his a$$ but is it worth it? i guess that is a whole nother story.

To answer your first question ApronAmy: I think you should carry 100% of the time. Literally 24/7.

Just to add a new wrinkle to the question...

I am not allowed (nor would I choose) to carry at work - company policy that I completely agree with and would never think of breaking - so do I wear the gun to work and lock it up in my car before I go in? I will automatically be without it within my reach nine hours a day, most days, so that kind of rules out carrying 100%.

I was prohibited by company policy to carry at work or have a weapon in my vehicle on company property. I carried every day for the 18-1/2 years I worked there anyway. I quit in January and I'm now happily self-employed. Once you're used to carrying nobody is going to figure it out. Even if they do, at least in my state, you can't be searched anyway. Also, here in Washington, the worst that can happen is you can be fired. Employers make rules, not laws! (Unless you work for the gub-mint.) Someone would have to directly see your actual firearm and they would have to be willing to rat you out as well. I think you'd be *amazed* at the number of people that CCW against company policy. If I were a woman and I chose to carry at work against company policy I would have a well thought out story in case a co-worker did find out somehow. Ex-boyfriend / stalker, etc. Would you rat out a co-worker that told you she was in fear for her life from an abusive ex if you managed to see her gun somehow? I sure wouldn't.

I think the majority of time, we are smart enough to know when to carry a gun and not. I think all of us know someone who has been in car accident. I don't know anyone who has been shot. I don't carry a fire extinguiser either... I am waiting for the compact version.... oh and btw, who carries a defibrillator... Those who carry 24/7 are paranoid or just wants to feel cool. Why did I get a CWP, so that when I feel I NEED to carry, I can legally.

Some people think they know when they'll be at higher risk and only carry then. Bad idea. The one time I actually needed a gun and it saved my life I was ten feet from the front porch of my house. My yard has an eight foot high chain link fence with barbed wire on top and I was surprised to find myself bad-breath distance from a dirtbag that intended to smash my head in with a pair of bolt cutters. You never know when or where trouble is coming. NEVER

Think about the logic of 'only carry when you think you'll need it' for a second. WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU VOLUNTARILY GO SOMEPLACE WHERE YOU THINK YOU'LL NEED A GUN? :huh: The answer is easy: You won't know when you'll need it until it's time to draw so you better carry it all the time.

Oh, one more thing for ApronAmy: I suggest you not carry outside your home until you are absolutely comfortable carrying your gun. It's going to feel weird the first time you walk out into the world with a handgun on but it shouldn't make you nervous, jittery, or jumpy. If it does maybe you need a little more time carrying in private. Carrying a handgun is a HUGE responsibility and it should not be taken lightly by anyone. I've done it so long I feel extremely uncomfortable if I'm not carrying... and my pants fall down. :s0114:

My point exactly! Eight foot fence with barbed wire... does not sound like a normal situation to me... you attract what you project! If I arrive at my house and some dumb *** is standing there like he is going to kill me, I will walk away, call the police. Why would I pull a gun on him unless he says or does something that would indicate imminent danger. In that case it is better to run. But I guess that might hurt some egos! Don't forget to add a watch tower to your house!

Some people think they know when they'll be at higher risk and only carry then. Bad idea. The one time I actually needed a gun and it saved my life I was ten feet from the front porch of my house. My yard has an eight foot high chain link fence with barbed wire on top and I was surprised to find myself bad-breath distance from a dirtbag that intended to smash my head in with a pair of bolt cutters. You never know when or where trouble is coming. NEVER

My point exactly! Eight foot fence with barbed wire... does not sound like a normal situation to me... you attract what you project! If I arrive at my house and some dumb *** is standing there like he is going to kill me, I will walk away, call the police. Why would I pull a gun on him unless he says or does something that would indicate imminent danger. In that case it is better to run. But I guess that might hurt some egos! Don't forget to add a watch tower to your house!

Yep, I've got an eight foot fence with barbed wire. So do all of my neighbors. This is the norm here and nothing about my place stands out. On purpose. My house is on industrial property in a heavy industrial area. You cannot see the house from the street, it looks just like every other industrial lot with commercial buildings for half a mile in any direction. My neighbors are semi truck yards and heavy steel distributors. It is no less safe then where you live in suburbia someplace. Actually it's probably much safer here since the population density is almost zero. Not much chance of my neighbor going postal in the middle of the night since the nearest house is 3/4 of a mile away! :)

Do you really think I just walked up to a guy that was standing there in my yard with a pair of rusty bolt cutters in his hands? He charged me from cover after cutting my fence with the bolt cutters he was swinging at my head. If I'd known he was there I'd have turned tail and run. Or better yet stayed in the house and called 911! Average police response time here is less than 3 minutes.

Sorry for the hijack ApronAmy, back to your regularly scheduled thread...

that makes sense... you are right in that you never know when danger will strike, just as in you don't know when a car accident or a fire will happen. That being said, it is highly unlikely that most of us will ever be put in a situation where we need a gun. I think that is a good thing... some feel the need to carry 24/7 for fear of that situation. I am not opposed to that, in fact more power to them. I for one, don't live in fear, nor do I assume the worst, therefore my carry is situational. My next door neighbor is a Bellevue cop, he obviously carries while on patrol, but off duty, rarely, because he is not in dangerous situations while not on duty. Same with the KC Sheriff who is my neighbor as well.

i carry 100% of the time, or have it within arms reach. its always that time you said "i better just leave it at home today" then bam some tweeker holds your family at gunpoint or knife point.dont take chances in this world you'll end up dead.desperate times call for desperate measures.the people today are nuts and are willing to do anything they feel they need to.keep yourself safe and your family safer.

Its a matter of convenience. If it doesn't affect you in any way to have a gun on you, why NOT have one all the time? Pocket guns rule. If we were truly paranoid, we'd never go anywhere without an AR-15 and level IV plates.

I don't leave home without it. I don't carry open, because I don't care to have people staring, and a potential hazard aware that I'm armed. I then become target #1. If you are going to take the responsibility to carry at all, then you should assume that you need to be the guardian of all that is precious to you. I learned long ago that even if one is extremely proficient in martial arts, you will come out second best if a confrontation becomes a gun fight, and going into a gun fight without a gun is not a good idea.

Greydog, I take exception to your response. It was not a dumb question and in no way suggested that I have not thought this through in great detail. I clearly stated that I have my own opinion - which I chose not to elucidate - and was asking others their thoughts. I am just glad the rest of the members here respond politely and helpfully to someone new and eager to learn. Chill out dude.
Sorry if I made you feel badly. Most folks that question the topic of CCW use fuzzy logic. Why carry if you can predict when you will need the weapon. Just stay home or away from the danger. Again, I will use the seat belt-fire extinguisher argument. What good is the firearm at home in the safe if you cannot predict the need for it?
Yup, I'm a sarcastic knuckle dragger. Proudly wear the title! If you can't stand the truth, don't ask the question. Greydog, Semper Fi.

that makes sense... you are right in that you never know when danger will strike, just as in you don't know when a car accident or a fire will happen. That being said, it is highly unlikely that most of us will ever be put in a situation where we need a gun. I think that is a good thing... some feel the need to carry 24/7 for fear of that situation. I am not opposed to that, in fact more power to them. I for one, don't live in fear, nor do I assume the worst, therefore my carry is situational. My next door neighbor is a Bellevue cop, he obviously carries while on patrol, but off duty, rarely, because he is not in dangerous situations while not on duty. Same with the KC Sheriff who is my neighbor as well.

Things must be a little different up in Seattle. Every cop that I know down here carries off duty 100% of the time. :confused:

I have to agree with everyone that says to carry 100% of the time or not at all. However, the security checkpoint that I pass through for work prohibits firearms by order of the US Coast Guard. Can't even be locked in your vehicle. An employee was fire for having his hunting rifle in his truck. He was loaded up to go hunting after work and was ratted out by a co-worker (probably someone with less seniority).

When you're not in the habit of carrying 24/7 you're most likely not going to head straight for the safe when you get home from work or when you go to the corner store for a gallon of milk. Having said that, the times I am most likely to carry is when I go out in the evening. It's not ideal, but it's the best my situation will allow.

The reason I wear my seatbelt is not because I live in fear of an accident. The reason I have a fire extinguisher in my house is not because I live in fear of a fire in my house. The reason I carry a firearm is not because I live in fear of a situation where I might need it.

The reason for all of the above is that I take responsibility for my wellbeing 24/7, and there is no way to know when you may need any of these items.

I wear my seatbelt whenever I drive, not just on 'dangerous' roads. I don't lock my fire extinguisher away if I don't expect a fire. I carry anytime I leave the house, not just when I expect trouble.

Be prepared.

I carry 95% of the time or most of the time I am close to a firearm. I carry because I can (legally speaking), I don't trust law enforcement to be there when seconds matter, and I just love guns (my passion). I am not bashing on the Police but it is my responsibility to take care of me and mine.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top