JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you use a motorized vehicle, like an ATV, to hunt?

• Yes

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
Interesting how this thread has wandered off topic.

In answer to the original question. Many of the people around here use vehicles for hunting, I have been trying for a turkey for a while with my Jeep they keep managing elude me. My neighbor managed to get one with his Dodge 1 ton, kind of overkill, feathers spread all over the road. One of the other guys keeps getting deer with his Ford. As far as using my atv for hunting, my berries aren't big enough I'm afraid of hurting myself. I have gone after the turkeys a few times, however when I've tried it seems like they are just trying to sucker me into the ditch.:oops:

I would think that some people have thought of ingenious methods for transporting a significant kill. I am not suggesting anything illegal. People often know what is legal, and where they can and cannot take their truck or ATV. I know there are idiots that cross the line, and I am not considering such foolishness here. You can't fix FUBAR! So, what are some of the best methods used for hauling out a kill?

Single or double wheel hunting cart can be useful. It's still gonna be a PITA tho getting over down logs, brush, up/down hills etc. I for one would prefer to quarter and pack it back piece by piece on a frame pack (pack board) if I absolutely had to do it by myself.

61eyPCM5HkL._SL1000_.jpg

81B61iey5eL._SY679_.jpg

Where i live and hunt, there are only old fire roads, and its usually snowing during elk season. Depending on conditions, i can use ether my Willies or my Imp to get around, i dont hunt the valley i live in, and to get to the next valley, means a full days hike ( not going to happen if i get an animal) so its one of the two rigs!

Interesting how this thread has wandered off topic.

In answer to the original question. Many of the people around here use vehicles for hunting, I have been trying for a turkey for a while with my Jeep they keep managing elude me. My neighbor managed to get one with his Dodge 1 ton, kind of overkill, feathers spread all over the road. One of the other guys keeps getting deer with his Ford. As far as using my atv for hunting, my berries aren't big enough I'm afraid of hurting myself. I have gone after the turkeys a few times, however when I've tried it seems like they are just trying to sucker me into the ditch.:oops:
So, I have read the thread and felt it has predominantly stayed on topic, and I am the OP. I asked before your comment how people hauled out their kill, which has a relationship to using a motorized vehicle to hunt. I can understand how you could have applied the intent of this thread to actually use a vehicle to hunt and kill an animal. I am seeking creative ways of getting to and harvesting a hunt, utilizing best methods (nothing like the tried and true). I prefer not to damage my truck if I can help it. Otherwise, I could have taken out an elk herd a few miles from Trout Lake, WA, and had plenty of elk meat in the deep freeze! Of course, I probably would have totaled my truck and spent months of recovery in the hospital!

while I mostly am blessed to be able to hunt private farm ground and surrounding timber without any major hiking etc. Alot of my elk hunting is actually to spot them in a open area, then foot stalk to within shooting distance. but when I go with friends into the big timber west coast we always have a rig with a pto hydraulic system, that has a hydraulic winch with about 1ton of pull and the large spool has about 1 mile of 1" flat mules tape rated at 2500# . We've pulled some elk and deer up out of some deep places .

while I mostly am blessed to be able to hunt private farm ground and surrounding timber without any major hiking etc. Alot of my elk hunting is actually to spot them in a open area, then foot stalk to within shooting distance. but when I go with friends into the big timber west coast we always have a rig with a pto hydraulic system, that has a hydraulic winch with about 1ton of pull and the large spool has about 1 mile of 1" flat mules tape rated at 2500# . We've pulled some elk and deer up out of some deep places .
Gee manetti!!! Far out!!!

Single or double wheel hunting cart can be useful. It's still gonna be a PITA tho getting over down logs, brush, up/down hills etc. I for one would prefer to quarter and pack it back piece by piece on a frame pack (pack board) if I absolutely had to do it by myself.

View attachment 552746

View attachment 552747
BBBass, I like the pictures, and that is more than likely what I may do. However, I love the hydraulic pto system! Maybe in the next life!

I drive my truck to where I camp...then walk in.
All game is hiked out...which may mean quartering in the field and several trips.

Most of my hunting looks a lot like hiking with a rifle or shotgun...:D
Andy

This is the rig I use all year weather it's snowing or dry!
View attachment 552761

Rode in one of those way too much while working in Brookings. Used it to get to the radio towers in coastal heavy wet mucky snow. Underpowered lil thing... many times it was faster to get out and walk while the boss drove. And that lil 4 banger engine inside the cab leaked oil/smoked!! Gassed me out! I'd get sick from it... no thanx!!!

BBBass, I like the pictures, and that is more than likely what I may do. However, I love the hydraulic pto system! Maybe in the next life!

I may have missed an earlier post about this...

Is that attached to the twuck? That would prob work for me since I didn't travel far, but for most hunters would be too limiting. My buds had those chain saw winch portable units that could be tied to a number of trees to daisy chain your way out, but unless you want tenderized meat, you'd need a sled to cart it out on. Sounds like another PITA if your not close to the twuck.

I guess if it's something attached to an ATV, it could work very well. We've used the electric winches attached to 4 wheelers to move elk for short distances, and to skid logs.

bbbass said:
I may have missed an earlier post about this...

Is that attached to the twuck? That would prob work for me since I didn't travel far, but for most hunters would be too limiting. My buds had those chain saw winch portable units that could be tied to a number of trees to daisy chain your way out, but unless you want tenderized meat, you'd need a sled to cart it out on. Sounds like another PITA if your not close to the twuck.

I guess if it's something attached to an ATV, it could work very well. We've used the electric winches attached to 4 wheelers to move elk for short distances, and to skid logs.

Those chainsaw winch attachments are great , wish i could find a used one that was still working or only in need of minor repair.
the hydr setup he has bolts into his bed and isnt that bad or limiting. easy installs or removed in minutes. sorta based similar to drip line pullers used in nurseries,row crops that ive seen for pulling up the drip lines after the crop is done.
if we dont have the unit he still carries a 5000' spool of the mules tape and several blocks, if you can get the tape between the animal and a vehicle to attach it to that has room on a road or whatever to pull with it can save alot of work, back in November we pulled this bull about 400 yards from down in a ravine up to where we could load it with 2 blocks, mule tape and my pickup , pulling about 50 yrds at a time , all the room i had . 20181113_141049.jpg

this stuff is great, strong, light, a 5000' spool weighs about 75# .
Screenshot_20190227-075618_Chrome.jpg

I drive my truck to where I camp...then walk in.
All game is hiked out...which may mean quartering in the field and several trips.

Most of my hunting looks a lot like hiking with a rifle or shotgun...:D
Andy
Damn, several trips, eh? I would assume there could be a few miles inolved? Sounds like a workout? Let the training begin! :)

Those chainsaw winch attachments are great , wish i could find a used one that was still working or only in need of minor repair.
the hydr setup he has bolts into his bed and isnt that bad or limiting. easy installs or removed in minutes. sorta based similar to drip line pullers used in nurseries,row crops that ive seen for pulling up the drip lines after the crop is done.
if we dont have the unit he still carries a 5000' spool of the mules tape and several blocks, if you can get the tape between the animal and a vehicle to attach it to that has room on a road or whatever to pull with it can save alot of work, back in November we pulled this bull about 400 yards from down in a ravine up to where we could load it with 2 blocks, mule tape and my pickup , pulling about 50 yrds at a time , all the room i had .View attachment 552912

this stuff is great, strong, light, a 5000' spool weighs about 75# .
View attachment 552913
JEEPERS!!!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class