JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i don't see the point in thumping your chest after the fact and boasting as if you had the best foresight. it wasn't that long ago that similar threat developed with H&K SP-89 and I rushed out to buy one for $1000. Lately they've been going upwards
of $5k. So firearms are like any other commodity. Gold used to go for $35/oz and now the prevailing rate is $1600.

Those who guessed (or feared) and the value increased 'won.' Had they not, should the be deemed foolish? So all this posturing, in hindsight, merely serves to profess some semblance of superiority or such.

As stated, the politics of politics is fluid and dynamic. Amendments have a way of sneaking up on the politically naive who only have the skills [sic] to see 1 or 2 steps ahead.

I confess I bought in a panic back in the 90s with the first ban. I spent the princely sum of $639 for a Colt H-Bar. Way too much, yep way too much.

I believe that with the 2nd amendment that the "supply and demand" aspect is garbage and a total cop out. When the government or anybody else comes for our guns, it is our responsibility to arm everyone we know - not remove as many dollars from their pockets as we can. This isn't just another commodity, it's our freedom and the possibility of genocide and mass graves. So I say screw every mother-gummer that gouged another American in what has through history been the precursor to mass murder.

I do like that guns and ammo sold at record volumes and their attempt to disarm us had the opposite affect.

Don't forget universal background checks are still on the floor and nobody knows how much support it has. To me this was the most dangerous of the bunch; information on private sales has to be kept somewhere. Just the fact the information exist can be dangerous as we all know a federal agency like the DHS is going to get that information anyway possible, covert or otherwise.

It would not surprise me if they already have the information on the majority of CPL holders in case some future legislation banning handguns gets passed. That list is going to be very handy. It could happen if we lose a handful of seats in 2014. The gun control crowd are organized nationally and have a lot of money behind them.

Don't forget universal background checks are still on the floor and nobody knows how much support it has. To me this was the most dangerous of the bunch; information on private sales has to be kept somewhere. Just the fact the information exist can be dangerous as we all know a federal agency like the DHS is going to get that information anyway possible, covert or otherwise.

It would not surprise me if they already have the information on the majority of CPL holders in case some future legislation banning handguns gets passed. That list is going to be very handy. It could happen if we lose a handful of seats in 2014. The gun control crowd are organized nationally and have a lot of money behind them.

I agree with what you are saying, except for the 2014 election. I think the anti-gunners are going to get crushed. And we are going to see a lot of politicians posting pics and articles posing as pro-gun just to save face - just like Obama did with his photoshopped pic of him "shooting" that shotgun.

I ended up buying an AR during the scare. I might have over paid, but not by too much. I paid 1200 for a a bushmaster that only had 100 rounds through it. I also got 500 rounds, a case, 4 extended mags, as well as two slings. I don't feel too bad paying that much because I was willing to spend it.

Well I have to say. That I sold stuff at fair prepanic $ or face value, as to the battle rifles I got during this mess.
It came down to Trading! Sooo what did I have into the guns I traded and I belive all transactions I made WE BOTH walked away Happy and still are.

The last one ended up Great for both thanks SKIDDER, a colt for a colt! As I said Trading I think is a better process that $$$ ... And my choice means my Colt AR will with stand the high and low tides of the gun grab Game. Glad I passed on piston driven and Franken AR builds.

It's the panic buying that alerted the lawmakers to not go along with the gun grabbers after Newtown as much as anything else. Many were first time buyers and now have a dog in the fight. If you think this is over your'e not paying attention! For those of you who bought during this time don't forget that every day the left wants to take away your gun rights.
We must stop them. Keep writing, calling, voting and warning others who are not paying attention.

Aside from the high prices, the days of non-traceable FTF sales may be coming to an end. I'm not sure I trust the RINO's to stand up against Universal Background Checks.

I've been selling everything I don't really like just so I don't have to deal with all the hassles of going through an FFL just to sell a gun. It doesn't hurt that market prices are high. At least I'm not taking a hit on anything I am selling.

IF a UBC law gets passed you will see FTF sales prices drop fast.

@ Mattdomes:

Don't knock my balls for only having 19 posts. Some people have a job, or maybe just better things to do with their day than talking tough in an online gun forum. Grow Up! Tough talking someone you don't know in an online forum makes you look like a Tool!

@jutbucks13

Let me remind you of what you wrote and lets see who looks like a tool for "talking tough." Want to have a public discussion, I would say the same thing to your face! You started this thread looking like a tool going off all half cocked like you are going to teach us all a lesson. You sir, grow up!

How many of you got stuck with an overpriced AR?

I feel for each and every one of you impulse buyers. Now that Dianne "The Devil" Feinstein has failed you people are truly screwed. Here is the only thing that I ask you to remember. Your impulsive buying drove the prices (bat guano) crazy for months. This allowed your local neighborhood gun dealer to Royally Screw you! If this happened to you, realize that those of us that didn't screw you will not be lining up to bail you out. If you try and offload your AR, you are gonna get screwed. For example if you bought a Surplus Ammo Franken AR for $1200 or God forbid more, you can expect $600 to $700 for it. Because that's what it's worth!!!

For the shop owners that put the screws to these people, and blamed it on Supply and Demand. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!!!!!!! All that proves is that you never took a college class in either Supply and Demand or Ethics. If you lose a Bunch of Business, it serves you right!!!

R/

Justin H.

Hillsboro, Oregon

OTOH, I can understand folks' reaction to what just happened right after Newtown. I remember talking to a buddy that Friday morning and distinctly remember myself saying that gun ownership in the US is finished. Unlike the 1994 and 2008 scares, which were quasi-panics based on nebulous political activities, circumstances surrounding the 2012 scare were real and tangible. Had I not already been through the two previous scares, I might have panicked as well.

My disgust is not directed at the folks who thought they needed to arm themselves immediately after Newtown. Like someone said earlier, those people now have a stake in the game and we need as many allies as we can get. My disgust lies solely with those folks who, within hours after America heard of Newtown, began marketing $1,000 Ruger 10-22 Assault Rifles and $1,200 WASRs. There was no 'supply and demand' nonsense in those first few days, it was only greed and profiteering by taking advantage of horrible headlines in order to sell wares at grossly inflated prices.

Keith

Last Edited:
Although your disgust may lie solely with those marketing, i saw more of the high prices being driven by buyers than sellers. I walked into Bi mart parking lot and saw a guy begging to buy another guys AR and offering 3k dollars for it, it wasnt the seller listing it for that price. The guy overheard at the guncounter that he had an AR and offered. Had i walked through pretty much any gun store or sporting goods store with my PTR91 i would have probably had half a dozen 3k dollar offers for my "AR15" ROFL

Well, to be sure, firearms are generally a good investment over time, even if you pay higher than market prices initially. I bought three ARs leading up to the 1994 AWB and got my money back on all of them when I sold them off over the years. Few products will get you back more than pennies on the dollar when you decide to sell...cars, furniture, electronics.

Keith

I bought my AR upper and lower in the middle of the panic, but I bought smart and didn't overpay. CMMG complete lower and a complete upper with low-profile gas block, free-float grip and stainless match-grade barrel, and im less than $900 in including all the shipping and FFL transfer fees. Have the lower, but upper is on backorder, price I had to pay to get it for a decent cost. People who overlaid didn't have the patience to shop, had to have it now.

Speculation in any commodity causes volatile price changes due to whatever the stimulus or perceived stimulus. I have to say it annoys me, but it is how business works in this country. If you bought cause you wanted one and feared it was your last chance, I don't suppose you are unhappy about it, just enjoy your stuff. If you went to my LGS and bought what was available to all of us at a fair price to resell at a higher price, you annoy me. If I know who you are, you can count on a lack of my business in the future. Two of my LGS's behaved like this, buying from one of the others in town that was selling at a fair price, repricing and selling to the same community higher. In one case they forgot to take the orig. price tags off. They won't get another nickel from me. Ever.

I agree with WhyteCheddar, this thing isn't even close to being over yet. Harry Reid's "Gun Safety" bill is much more dangerous and Feinsteins bill can still be tacked on as amendments. Look for the gunbanners to start sliming these rules into the back pages of "must pass" legislation because they know they dont have a chance of passing with a straight up and down vote. Too many of them have to stand for mid-term elections.

Wow...

When the states of WA and OR take up similar legislation to CO and NY, what say you then? When the feds bring this up again after the next mass shooting, will that hysteria be real that time?

You're making some large assumptions, the biggest being that ARs will never be banned. Look at this AWB as a ladder. Two steps up to the ban, 1 step back... Won't be long before there are enough people willing to throw away the 2nd amendment. Look at the patriot act and drones... Hell, even healthcare reform passed.

Many people who purchased ARs at panic prices knew there was a chance the ban wouldn't happen this time... There may be a spike in inventory as some people begin to sell the ARs, but there are manufacturers with years of backorders now.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top