Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How many of you got stuck with an overpriced AR?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by jutbucks13, Mar 21, 2013.

1. jutbucks13

jutbucks13 Beaverton Oregon Active Member

How many of you got stuck with an overpriced AR?

I feel for each and every one of you impulse buyers. Now that Dianne "The Devil" Feinstein has failed you people are truly screwed. Here is the only thing that I ask you to remember. Your impulsive buying drove the prices (bat guano) crazy for months. This allowed your local neighborhood gun dealer to Royally Screw you! If this happened to you, realize that those of us that didn't screw you will not be lining up to bail you out. If you try and offload your AR, you are gonna get screwed. For example if you bought a Surplus Ammo Franken AR for $1200 or God forbid more, you can expect $600 to $700 for it. Because that's what it’s worth!!!

For the shop owners that put the screws to these people, and blamed it on Supply and Demand. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!!!!!!! All that proves is that you never took a college class in either Supply and Demand or Ethics. If you lose a Bunch of Business, it serves you right!!!

R/

Justin H.

Hillsboro, Oregon

2. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Portland Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

Some took the gamble, and lost. It was better for them to overpay for a gun now, then not get to overpay for it in the future. People are crying over all these high prices, but when everyone wants the same damn thing, the price is going to go up. Prices will come back down soon enough, and those of us that were prepared get to look back and laugh.

If you were already stocked up and did not pay out the *** for one then how were you affected? A little extra time before you get that next build? I say quit the butt hurt attitude, and stop blaming gun owners and dealers for the actions of our crazy representatives. We as gun owners still should be pissed, but not at ourselves.

We may have won the battle here, but it will be short lived. Keep writing our reps, and let them know if you do not support the second amendment, then we do not support you.

HBIII, Jablunty, Blackcobra and 9 others like this.
  3. 1stklass

1stklass salem oregon Well-Known Member

Or, you can buy a PTR91 like i did....... a what??? a PTR91.... when everyone was looking for Ar15s and "bushmaster's" for 3500 dollars i purchased another PTR (half of anyone i talk to has never heard of them) for 1100 dollars, with the stock trigger group and a Bill Williams trigger group. All the news was talking about was ARs and AKs and if you bought one in the last 3 months you got screwed. The HK G3 battle rifle is in use in dozens of countries as their main battle rifle, i will take mine by the barrel and beat any AR15 until it is unusable and still have a fine accurate rifle built like a tank :bluelaugh:

Glock Jock, 2506, bestfromnw and 9 others like this.
  4. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

People can sell or buy whatever they want at whatever price they want. It doesn't matter at all to me, and I really don't understand why anyone else cares if a deal goes down between two people and both are happy with the end result.

I haven't sold anything at "gouge" prices. But I have ended up with two new pistols since the beginning of the New Year. They were guns I wanted and I payed a "pre-panic" price for them. I did buy some magazines and what someone may consider "gouge" prices, but quite frankly at the time I bought them, I felt there was a good possibility it maybe my only chance to do so, so I paid the price. I ended up with two very nice magazines and the seller ended up with cash in his pocket. We were both happy with the deal, so why should anyone criticize it? In a year, when all the prices come back down and I could get the same mags for significantly less am I going to feel bad about the purchase? Nope, I paid what I was willing to pay for them at the time.

5. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Its hard to argue with anything the OP said. In these last few months of craziness, I chose to either not buy much at all, or traded like-for-like, or sold at reasonable pre-Newtown pricing. I'm starting to buy again now that pricing is coming down to normal levels...just bought 260 rounds of Wolf for $6 a box yesterday.

Edit: I need to add that some businesses chose not to participate as well. RRC Firearms sold me my Arsenal after Newtown for the same price that it was advertised at before Newtown.

To 1stklass, I can't let your statement go unchallenged :) . While I share your enthusiasm for the G3 platform, I'm not so sure I'd put forth the proposition that a G3 is an all-around better battle rifle than an AR. It is literally the most awkward, front heavy rifle I've ever had the pleasure of owning or shooting. As a stationary weapon with a heavy bipod, yup, no contest, the HK wins. From a CQB standpoint, or shooting offhand or reactionary side, forget it, the AR wins. I'd never give mine up, but if I had to pick one over the other...it would be my Arsenal AK103 clone :laugh:.

Keith

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  6. nick1980

nick1980 Portland, OR Active Member

The funny part of the whole "supply and demand" of AR's over the last few months is the few guns shows I went to I saw more AR's than I ever had. It literally seemed like there were twice as many AR's for sale than "normal" at 3X the "normal" price.

7. 1stklass

1stklass salem oregon Well-Known Member

They are all gorgeous rifles and i love them all!

With that said i have paintballed enough to know i would prefer to sit 600 yards away instead of engage in CQ confrontation. I always get shot around the middle of the game LOL. I do plan on purchasing a couple of ARs (for my kids, before it becomes illegal to buy them a rifle) but i am waiting for the sucker that spent his 3500 dollars to get his credit card statement and his taxes due bill at the same time and then begs to dump the rifle for prepanic 800 dollar prices :bluelaugh:

I am overall just a fan of the heavier longer range calibers. 223 is okay, 308 is really good and 338 Lapua and 50bmg.... well you get the point :thumbup:

8. nautox

nautox Kirkland, WA Member

I paid $1100 for my Spikes Tactical 9 months ago. Did I over-pay? Maybe. I also have half a tank of gas at $4.29 a gallon in my car right now. Life is expensive. Heck I can go out and buy a brand new car and lose thousands in resale. But if you use something and plan on keeping it, then the cost over time is not an issue.

nick1980: I was in Manteca CA last week and a gun store had a sweet black and desert 308 AR with a massive scope on consignment .... for $5000! Probly twice what it was worth.

Trick and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

I picked up a BNIB Bushmaster ORC carbine for $1200, MSRP according to Bushmaster's site is $1379.

10. xb40

xb40 Alabama New Member

Appears the bottom is falling out now. But, ammo is nonexistnant, or priced at 1.00 per round. Gun show had tons of AR accessories and few complete ARs, some high, some withing a couple hundred dollars of normal. Walmart is selling Colt AR's 1050.00 if you can find ones that sell guns.

11. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

I agree with the heavier calibers, but finding a place to let them open up and shine is almost impossible for a guy like me with a house in the 'burbs.

Nutty4Guns and (deleted member) like this.
  12. SonicBlue03

SonicBlue03 Snohomish Well-Known Member

I buy LWRCs. Some would argue that I *always* get stuck with an overpriced....

13. mattdomes

mattdomes Newberg Active Member

What do you have to prove? That people made a bad bet? Good job! Bet you feel better about yourself now!

People make bad bets all the time on the stock market and there is always some punk who rubs it in everyone's face after the fact that they were idiots :huh:

Get off your high horse noob with 19 posts! Some people took a gamble and if Feinstein would have got her way where would your smart a$$ comments be then!?

If you think its over yet, you are wrong, the gun grabbers will always be out to get your "assault weapon!"

One more thing, what about those in Colorado or New York? Say that same $h!t to them as see where you get:thumbup:

14. t.huynh

t.huynh vancouver, wa Active Member

I bought some stuff at panic prices and have no problems with it. I figured I'd better buy it now while it was available instead of crying later when they were gone. But, all I bought was a 650 dollar glock 19 and some 40 dollar glock 19 mags. I'm happy with my decision. Better safe than sorry.

P.S. I built all my AR's a year ago when they had 50 dollar lowers and 400 dollar BCM uppers. =]]

I hope we get to see those prices again. Especially those 50 dollar lowers. I'd probably buy 10 of them this time haha.

As for ammo...I'd never pay more than 15 dollars a box for 9mm FMJ's.

When I saw the 50 dollar boxes at the Surplus arms and ammo tent....well...I was going to ask if they included a date with the girl working there. But, I bought some hollow points from them and left.

15. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

Not everyone who bought an overpriced AR was trying to turn a buck. Considering the political climate and just how how far and fast the gun grabbers were moving, it might have been the last chance. I considered it and decided to wait it out, but I'm not going to criticize those who did not.

The folks I really praise in this are those that passed at what may have been a last chance, but decided to spend that money to help those fighting for our 2A rights.

Oh, and it ain't over yet, and not by a long shot. I wouldn't be surprised at some some sort of temporary ban by Executive order at either the Federal or State level "just until we get things straightened out for the sake of the children". Holder would back it and the Supremes would probably by a narrow split find it Constitutional. Just look at how they decided Obamacare.

Keep fighting, and take the offensive. Don't overreach, but keep up the pressure on your representatives.

16. t.huynh

t.huynh vancouver, wa Active Member

Forgot to say, Thanks to Brightwater Ventures for not gouging people during these times. I bought a G26 from them and a mag to go with it at pre-crazy prices.

Although, some bubblegums did take advantage of that to just flip their guns for crazy prices. I hope those people burn in a special place in hell.

17. WhyteCheddar

WhyteCheddar East of Moscow by the Willamette Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks the attack on the 2A is even remotely over is the one who is exhibiting foolishness.
    The threat is still very real and very near. The gun market is merely a side show. The main events are happening in Salem, DC, and like it or not in the UN, behind closed doors.
    nd while I got my 'stuff' long before the current market 'crisis', I will never criticise what someone wants to ask for their private property. It is their right to price it how they see fit. It is none of their responsibility how others have managed or failed at their preparation.
    Anyone sell a house in the 90's? Did you sell it for slightly over what you paid just to be nice, or did you ask market value?

PBinWA, waltermitty, gryghin and 15 others like this.
  18. DeanfromOregon

DeanfromOregon Wilsonville Amateur Ascended Master Platinum Supporter

The people that bought high are the ones that waited too long. They got scared and rightly so. I love that so many are so passionate, no matter what they paid for their weapon. I really don't expect a massive sell off either, I think they will hold onto them for a rainy day. Besides they haven't been able to find any ammo to sight them in yet!

People that sold at high prices? I can't fault them for it, it's a free market and they can do what they like. The suppliers that resisted the temptation for short term gain are the ones that are building trust with people like me. I think you'll see them make less margin but they'll make it up on volume once the supply comes back.

19. udoggie

udoggie Washington Co, Or. Member

I've actually been looking to buy a Windham for a while now, and am struggling with even paying MSRP. It just seems wrong, but I certainly wouldn't pay ~1.5x+ (like the one posted on this site is listed for)

I can only hope that the insanity dies down soon.

UD

20. jutbucks13

jutbucks13 Beaverton Oregon Active Member

@ Mattdomes:

Don't knock my balls for only having 19 posts. Some people have a job, or maybe just better things to do with their day than talking tough in an online gun forum. Grow Up! Tough talking someone you don't know in an online forum makes you look like a Tool!