JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
teach safety, lock them up (the guns not the kids) I found they can't breath in the safe.
I only have the current carry gun out and it is on me at all times. My son is 12 and has his own air rifles/pistols to use without me supervising but is still supervised with any others.

I, like Joey was not only taugh gun safety but began shooting at 5. I wa taught that I ONLY touch the guns with premission. We never had a locked cabinet or safe. I always knew where the ammo was and I knew if I ever disobeied the rule of "No touch" my aft wouuld be sore and i would never be allowed to shoot again.
Im short I never messed up with guns out of RESPECT for my daddy

Well, in a few weeks, I'll take #1 to the rifle and pistol range. He already is somewhat iffy around fireworks, so a .45 and a .308 should scare him. He's a good kid, but he's also very intelligent for his age and his teachers complain that he spends a good portion of his energy testing his limits. We don't spare the spanking ;). He understands when we really mean something and what serious trouble is. He also knows that in the end, his parents always find out.

While you are at it teach him about the results of revolver "splash" or whatever the term is for the gasses and powder exiting from between the cylinder and barrel. He will then also know that not only things in front of the barrel are potentially in danger when a firearm is used.

.22 LR cylinder blast test

44 S&W cylinder blast test version 2

I bought and taught at that age, get a cricket single shot 22 youth rifle and remove the mystery surrounding firearms. Your six year old won't steal your car just because you left the keys on the kitchen counter he knows what that car is for and what does and will wait his turn at the wheel. I got lots of 22 and let them shoot until they asked to go home. Now I don't have to worry about them climbing the mantel to get the shotgun down or hunting for the hidden key to the safe, yet I don,t recommend leaving a loaded handgun on the kitchen counter. Remove the mystery, teach.

I bought and taught at that age, get a cricket single shot 22 youth rifle and remove the mystery surrounding firearms. Your six year old won't steal your car just because you left the keys on the kitchen counter he knows what that car is for and what does and will wait his turn at the wheel. I got lots of 22 and let them shoot until they asked to go home. Now I don't have to worry about them climbing the mantel to get the shotgun down or hunting for the hidden key to the safe, yet I don,t recommend leaving a loaded handgun on the kitchen counter. Remove the mystery, teach.

I totally agree! My father didn't teach me and I remember the mystery had me and a buddy playing with his father's handguns in the eighth grade...after we found them buried in his closet.

No one got hurt, but mostly due to luck than anything else.

I have a 5 year old boy that is infatuated with guns to say the least. Mom wanted to have NO exposer to guns at all. Not toy guns, no TV shows with guns on them,,,, nothing. Then one day we were told he was "making" guns out of legos at school!(ingenious, resourceful, but still innapropriate) I said enough is enough. I had a discussion with Mom and told her we need to change course. She was very reluctant, but said we would try it my way.
I bought him toy guns, we watched TV shows and I let him hold and inspect all of my rifles and handguns. I told him the rules: " NEVER touch a gun without asking. NEVEr point it at something you dont want to kill"..... All of the classics. I told him any time he wants to look at them, ANYTIME, he just needs to ask and I will pull them out of the safe for him.
We go through a mantra each and every time they come out of the safe: "Whats the number one rule of guns?" his answer is always: "never put your finger on the trigger until your ready to shoot."
We go through a set of questions, he has to respond correctly before we move on. Then I have him pick up the weapon and inspect the chamber to make sure the is not a cartridge. I am always watching to remind him of where it is pointed if he loses focus.
Its pretty cute to see his little finger poke into the chamber to check for a cartridge.
All guns are always locked or under my belt. No exceptions.
For my nightstand gun, I use a vault similar to the "Gunvault". It is very quick if needed.

I have a 5 year old boy that is infatuated with guns to say the least. Mom wanted to have NO exposer to guns at all. Not toy guns, no TV shows with guns on them,,,, nothing. Then one day we were told he was "making" guns out of legos at school!(ingenious, resourceful, but still innapropriate) I said enough is enough. I had a discussion with Mom and told her we need to change course. She was very reluctant, but said we would try it my way.
I bought him toy guns, we watched TV shows and I let him hold and inspect all of my rifles and handguns. I told him the rules: " NEVER touch a gun without asking. NEVEr point it at something you dont want to kill"..... All of the classics. I told him any time he wants to look at them, ANYTIME, he just needs to ask and I will pull them out of the safe for him.
We go through a mantra each and every time they come out of the safe: "Whats the number one rule of guns?" his answer is always: "never put your finger on the trigger until your ready to shoot."
We go through a set of questions, he has to respond correctly before we move on. Then I have him pick up the weapon and inspect the chamber to make sure the is not a cartridge. I am always watching to remind him of where it is pointed if he loses focus.
Its pretty cute to see his little finger poke into the chamber to check for a cartridge.
All guns are always locked or under my belt. No exceptions.
For my nightstand gun, I use a vault similar to the "Gunvault". It is very quick if needed.

We see eye to eye. I agree that if you are going to have them in your house or carry them or what not you must teach all in the house about them. Additionally I agree with keep ones your not currently carrying on your person locked up. You can teach your kid's to respect them and handle them properly but you can not ensure all their friends will have received the same teachings. This is the biggest reason I think educating alone is not enough. You can control your kids but you can not control their friends. I can not be home all the time either.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews