JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a gunvault for the house gun and carry gun then a normal big safe for everything else. I taught my son starting around 5 years old that if you find a gun, not to touch it, tell an adult and so on. Even with toy guns and BB guns, I taught him finger off the trigger, do not point it at anything you are not willing to destroy and know what is beyond your target. So there is a consistent message. We also had a stern father/son talk to putting the fear of God into him about them. I also told him and continue to tell him. "If ever you want to see or hold any of the guns, just let me know." Very rarely does he ask to see one and almost always it is one that I just got on those rare occasions. He is now 11 and except when we go shooting every so often, could really care less that we have them around and does not go anywhere near them.

So I really feel it is a multi-pronged approach as others have stated. Education of the adults, the kids and lock up the guns that are not on your person.

Bedroom In the closet -a Securelogic punch code ( biometric available - Mounts between the studs - a drop door punch in your code and the door drops and a light comes on - 2 separate codes.

5' from my Front door out but out of line of sight and in a separate room that I can close and lock. I have a Gunvault mini DLX mounted and bolted to a gunsafe - my everyday carry goes in here. Also for securing HG's in the trunk of Vehicles.

Visualock -
I also like this for SA Handguns for carry where it is verbotten or frowned on - ( I can have a full mag and clearing the locking shell loads the fire arm - I can go from secure to armed in about 2-3 seconds - I carry a key on my keys -

I like the bright red bulb on the end of the barrel it is easy to overlook as a "Toy" or determined to not be a threat quickly - by the general Public and LEOS.

L to R Securelogic , GunVault MiniDLX, Visualock
overview-1.jpg minideluxe_pg-1.jpg image011.jpg
Links:
http://www.securelogiconline.com/index.php/products/
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>
( Not a Vendor)

The Rest is training my Girls, on how to handle a Firearm safely and how to fire , Frontsight press, frontsight press -

The other is OPSEC - if someone ask if we own firearms - "My Daddy says that firearms are not safe ........... (in untrained hands)

I think that instead of the government and the anti's spending all this time and money on gun awareness, that they should give out gun safe vouchers to every American that wants them. A good fingerprint safe starts at around $300, just think of all those kids lives they could actually save. A child's life is worth $300 isn't it?

I think if there's guns in the house it shouldn't be a "mystery" to your kids. I raised my Daughter teaching her not to touch but she always saw them, and then later got to handle them after being taught basic safety. At 5-6yrs old she had her "very own" pistol (a non-functioning revolver) that she could reach into the safe and pull out whenever I was cleaning mine. We would sit for hours burning up patches (she would use a lot more than me !!) and each time we'd talk about being safe. "Safety first" was drilled into her head over and over. Removing the mystery removes the curiosity......
IMO, hit the nail on the head right there.
Father of 3 of my own (5, 10, & 13, 9yr. old step.)
Guns are out, loaded, but not chambered, and no one touches. No mystery, all but the 5yr old have been to the range. No problems, no issues, no need, they know what they do, how they do it, and what the consequences are. The biggest up side to this, IMHO is that if they (my kids) are at a friends house, and a gun enters there environment, they know how to make sure they are safe from a discharge due to lack of knowledge/miss handling.
Just my :s0159:

My son just turned 4 and I have been taking him shooting with me since he was 2. He knows I have guns, he knows what they do, and he knows not to touch them without me there. Just recently, I let him shoot a .22 pistol (with me holding it as well). He enjoyed it and quickly realized the power behind a firearm.

Me and my wife run "drills" with him every once in a while. We will place an UNLOADED gun on a table or desk or somewhere and wait until he finds it and see what he does. Three times in a row, he did NOT touch it! He comes and gets us every time and shows us what he found.

Ask him what this is (holding a gun)... he says its a gun.
Ask him what it does... he says it shoots.
Ask him what if you shoot a person... he says big owwie!

As far as safety, digital lock safe in the closet for the hand guns and tall gun safe for the long gun. The one gun that I keep out and loaded is either in my holster on ME, or up high with a trigger lock on it.

Just my experience so far.

My 2nd son is only a couple weeks old and I will go through the same processes with him.

I grew up with guns from a VERY young age. Living out in the country, we had BB and pellet guns by age 5 or 6 and neither me or my siblings have every used a gun in an unsafe manner.

It never even occurred to me to get into my Dad's guns to see what they were because I knew... and I knew that if I did, ooh boy was there trouble coming. But I also knew that if I asked to see them or if I had a question, he would pull it out and answer my questions.

:s0159:

Gotta a agree - Remove the mystery and "forbidden Factor" and the most of the desire disappears - for some reason we are attracted to the unusual or the forbidden - remove the mystery (with proper training and handling ) and the Z factor all but disappears -- A great introduction and it is not a lecture from Dad or Mom :s0002: :s0123: :s0049: and great training and installation of respect for firearms : Take them to an Appleseed event ( <broken link removed>

Two days of (free) structured training and going through the motions of safe firearm handling and loading and firing of a Brick of .22lr ammo over 2 days is an incredible foundation and a great family outing. ( free for all Females and all Males under 21)

My 9 year old daughter is wicked scary with a 10/22. ( except in squatting position - she still needs to strengthen those core muscles groups.

- it blew me away in April - she borrowed a Marlin - that was too long for her ( the length of pull was about 3" too long - she adapted - and still nailed the red coat silhouettes.

I am almost 40 - but I grew up around firearms - it was "just a Rifle or just a Shotgun"

It was not a "cool man check this out -- it's my dad's gun - I found it in his dresser-- waddah ya think the guys at school would say ? lets find out. -- I'll bring it and show it too them at P.E". ( or recess or what ever it is called now a days - unless it has been phased out for more indoctrination instruction )

Take a way the mystery and you remove 95% of the problems and add good training and you remove another 3-4% the other 1-2% will always be no matter what.

Funny most anti-gunners have never touched a firearm before, I know that I have helped move a few over from Anti-Firearm to Neutral or positive about firearms - most were scared to death about firearms - I remember the first girlfriend that I took out to shot - a lever action Winchester 94 .30-.30 - -after she pulled the trigger - she shrieked and drop the rifle on the ground in surprise---

I learned too just to embrace them and put my arms around them and let them know that it might be loud - but it is ok, babe - I've got you and you'll be fine. ;) -- it is almost as good as teaching to shot pool or to swing a golf club- - but even better---;) " yeah baby" ( in my best shagadelic Austin Powers voice.

We want what we can't have - but we could care less about that what is "everyday or normal" ban it and I am in line to buy three of it.

:s0114::s0114:

- Just remember this important Axiom -- "You can't have Everything -- Where would you put it?" ----Steven Wright

Pardon the length of this post.

I grew up around guns. I knew where they were and where the ammo was. None of my Dads guns were ever locked up. No problems in our house with my 2 brothers and me. We knew the beating we would get if we ever touched them without permission.

My daughter was born when I was 19. A couple months after turning 21 I went and got my CWP. My gun was always on me around my daughter. When she was 5 or 6 I took her out to a place people would shoot and let her watch me shoot some targets. After a bit of shooting I made sure the gun was unloaded and handed her the gun and let her feel the weight of it and showed her how to aim it. Then I took it back and set out the 6 plastic milk bottles full of water and told her that this is what happens when you shoot someone with a gun. I shot the bottles, each exploding and sending water splashing. I turned to her and had a talk about safety and about not ever touching a gun unless she has mine or her moms permission. Then I told her that if I ever found out that she even touched a gun without permissin that I would "beat her *** so she couldn't sit down for a week!" After that I would leave my gun sitting on the coffee table or on the counter in the kitchen in its holster. She got used to it being around and never paid it any attention. Over the next couple of years I took her out shooting with me a couple more times and always had conversations with her about guns and gun safety.

When she was 8 a friend of mine was getting married. At the rehearsal and following dinner party I had my gun on me in a small of the back holster. While we were waiting for dinner to be served and sitting in the living room talking, my daughter asked if I would color with her on the floor. So I laid down in the middle of the room and started coloring. Everyone there could see that I had a gun on me. Another friend of mine, who was in the army at the time, asked me why I had my gun on me. I told him you never know when you might need it. He then asked me if I was concerned with having a gun around my daughter. I told him no and then turned to my daughter and asked her, while pointing at my gun, "What is this?" She simply said, "Your gun." I asked her, "What do you do with my gun?" Again she simply said, "I don't touch any guns unless I have yours or my moms permission." Lastly I asked her, "What happens if I find out that you even touch a gun without permission?" Her eyes get big and she get this serious look on her face and says in front of everyone, "You'll beat my *** so I can't sit down for a week!" I turned to my friend and asked if he had any other questions. He yells out to the kitchen where our friend who was getting married was and says, "Hey Shawn, do you know that Mike has a gun on him?" Shawn yells back, "Yes I know and since this is my house and I don't care, shut the f#$% up about it!" LOL

This is the really funny part! About 3 years later a group of us went camping. Both friends and their wives included. We were sitting around the table talking and about 12:30am we hear a gun shot out in the woods. Sounded like it was 100-150 yards away. After a moment we went back to talking again. About 20-30 minutes later we hear another gun shot but this time it sounded like it was 30-40 yards way. We all went scrambling for cover. My army buddy and I end up behind the front end of the same truck. He turns to me with his eyes bulging out of his head and asks, "Do you have your gun on you?" LMAO :s0114:

You teach your kids the best you can, make the decisions that you feel you need to for your family and everything will work out.

And hopefully you have smarter friends than this one of mine. :)

The funny bit is that your army pal was the one to make a fuss of it all!! You're right, it WAS hilarious when he panicked and wanted to make sure YOU had your gun handy. Big tough army guy, where was HIS piece? (we KNOW what happened to his peace..... got scared away with those reoprts in the woods).

I've read a bunch of the threads here about how folks keep their kids safe by arming themselves to protect their family. I admire that and I appreciate it.

That said, how do you make sure that your kids (or other's children) don't accidently discharge the firearms you keep at home?

How do you balance your desire to have immediate access to the right gun with the uncanny abilities of a 11 year old boy to find or get into anything?

The reason I ask is that my oldest son is turning 6 and is now is of an age that he might actually figure out keys/locks/powder/spark.

My intention is that someday soon I teach him the real life consequences of playing with guns and how much respect they deserve, and I have no doubt this will augment my security... but I need some good ideas on how to have my cake and eat it too. Suggestions on how you have kept your young children out of your guns are very welcome. Putting everything in the safe seems like the only way right now... :(

Thanks in advance... especially those who have raised boys and know what I'm dealing with :)

First and foremost in the endeavor of life by Hominids
is to ensure survival through disciplinary ACTION.

TEACH and instruct, ride hard the lessons you yourself know.

Be less of a Parent to those you brought into the world,,,, and,,,
you,,, thats right,, "YOU" can but look forward to grief.

We have laws and regulations to the point i have to wonder
if anyone can really out-smart slight difficulties for themselves.

If a person is sloppy with being a parent, that child will cause a chain reaction of irresponsible behavior that will reach outside the family unit to others.

There is a computer inside each head
learn to use yours,

I used mine at 5 years of age, when i noted that CHILDREN could be a great pain in my ,,,

So, i made the commitment to never have any children.
I stuck to that 50 years of my life.

If i can stick to something like a vow for 50 years

Then i have a real problem believing someone does not love their children enough to make a vow to TRAIN them for a sane life, and stick to it.

The worlds not a perfect planet, it is really an insane asylum for Hominids who refuse to be accountable for their actions and always attempt to shuck responsibility when their laziness causes grief for themselves and others even they're own children.

I also do not drink alcohol, use drugs, watch T.V., nor do i litter
But that's just me.
Rog'

Reminds me of when I was 11 years old. My friend and I took his dads .410 shotgun out to shoot when he was at work... ahh, the good ol days! Good thing we were both boyscouts with lots of firearm safety training :D

Good question...mine are in my safe for now...I don't have much fear living in my particular neighborhood (yes, I understand something could happen...but life is all about weighing the various risk factors). If that feeling changes, I will go the route of a biometric handgun safe. The other route is to only bring out the HD weapon at night and then returning first thing in the morning. My oldest just turned 10 and when he's 12 he will get full firearms safety/firing exposure. I'd like to do it now, but can't get wife on board until age 12. But...you gotta also think about the depressed teenager or depressed friend of son doing something stupid.

That's my plan/thoughts...I'd love to hear others.

My kids are all 5 and under at this point but I've already started gun safety training. They've helped clean my guns. I've told them that any time they want to see/touch one of my guns they need only to ask (they almost never do). However, I will not compromise the safety of my children. I have my carry piece with me all day long. I'm a carpenter and carrying isn't practical so I keep it locked in a safe in my truck (I keep my truck locked also). At night my pistol goes in the safe and my 12ga goes beside my bed. In the morning my shotgun goes back in the safe and my pistol gets strapped to my side. I only have what I've seen described as a 'sheet metal' gun safe. It was $90 at Bimart. My intention is to keep my kids out and discourage 'quickie' burglars.

All that is to say keep your kids safe. I've seen lot's of people on here comment that you should train them right and they won't stray. I'm not willing to bet my kids life on that motto and I refuse to tempt them. I won't always be able to protect my children but I think keeping any firearm that isn't within my immediate possession accessible to little hands is irresponsible.

I can't wait till my kids are old enough to really enjoy shooting with me. My daughter turns six next summer. That's gotta be old enough, right:s0155:

Have I replied to this one yet!? If I have I guess I'll be repeating myself...

Number 1 thing to do is teach them gun safety! Be serious and firm but not scary, they don't need to be afraid, just aware. Teach them to shoot if you can. All my kids (I have 4) know gun safety and have shot real guns. My youngest is 6, she's a girl, and shot my 45 and 10/22 when she was 5, obviously I was there helping to hold them, etc. and of course she didn't hit anything but the dirt on the hill side. I also bought each one of the kids CO2 Powered BB handgun. These are great training tools. They have safeties, magazines, etc. and if somebody did accidentally hit something other then the target nothing will be seriously damaged (hasn't happened BTW "Teach them and it probably never will).

Number 2 thing... Carry one on your person and lock the rest up. No matter how well you teach them they'll never be robots, they could get depressed or just want to impress their friends. They are kids not Robots. Sometime in there late teens if you feel they are ready allow them access to the safe but be sure they are ready first. I use an electronic safe that I have the ability to change the pass code on and it opens quickly should I ever need to get a weapon in a hurry. In my safe I keep the Shotgun loaded and all the handguns just in case. Only the wife and I have access to the safe at the moment. I have 2 teenagers but I'm afraid I don't feel they are ready to handle the responsibility of having unsupervised access to the safe(this could be my issue alone since they are my step kids and didn't get good firearms training before I entered the picture).

Anyways that's what works for me. I know others do not lock up there guns and just teach there kids safety and such, I was raised in a home with unlocked guns and nobody was ever harmed but I will admit to getting out daddy's 357 mag when he wasn't home once. I put it back quick, fast, and in a hurry knowing dam n well he'd woop my a$$ if he found out! @$$ Woopings are frowned upon now a days and I have to admit I'm lot softer then my parents were, probably because I really really didn't like getting an @$$ wooping. :lol: Anyways I lock them up loaded and I think it's for the best. You may do as you please but think about this... What if an accident did happen because your kids got curious, depressed, or wanted to impress... I bet you wouldn't feel to good if somebody got shot by one of your guns accidentally when they could have been locked up in a safe.

Currently we only have a gun cabinet. It locks but the doors have glass in them. To combat any un-monitored gun handling by the youngsters we put the cable locks in the pistols and I've disabled all but the 12ga from being able to fire.

The real simple way to protect nosy kids from getting shot is to not only keep the weapons locked up, but to secure the ammo. Of course, my toddler helps me load mags already so he's got a good head start.

Edit; I forgot to mention that I keep the keys to the cabinet, ammo cans, and cable locks around my neck 24/7.

My kids are grown and have their own guns now. My grandson is still in the cradle, so he's not a problem....yet.

What I did when the kids were young, I bought a gun safe and kept my guns locked up, unless it / they were in my immediate control. I had an agreement with them from an early age that daddy is (was) a policeman and there will be guns around. I taught them to shoot and demonstrated with water jugs and watermelons what a bullet will do to someone. Any time they wished to shoot, I'd take them out and let them shoot all they wanted.

I can not stress enough the value of a quality gun safe. My (or your) kids may be ok around guns, but how about their friends when you're not home and friends are visiting? Not to mention the possibility of a burglary to your home.

The absolute worst thing that you can do is try to hide them, unsecurred. Kids and burglars will find them, no matter how well you've hidden them. I've had the misfortune to investigate the death of a child who got daddy's pistol, hidden on the closet shelf under a folded blanket. I can't begin to tell you how many unsecured guns are stolen every year. Closets and under beds are the most common "hiding places."

As I said, my kids are grown, but I now have 3 safes where my guns reside, unless in my immediate control.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top